Earl Strickland vs. Stephen Hendry (Chinese 8-ball)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks:

A great match between Earl and Stephen Hendry, in Chinese 8-ball. They're not playing their best and make some "human" mistakes; e.g. at one point Stephen nearly loses grip of his cue and misses as he's stretched over the table. Some missed shots in some frames, but it displays how tough and unforgiving these tables are. However, you will see some nice shooting, and Earl slamming 'em home even in these difficult conditions.

What is nice to see, is Earl being a good sport, and both he and Stephen yucking it up during the match.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UBnky4De76E

Enjoy!
-Sean

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched most of that match. Yes, the table is extremely unforgiving. Eight ball on a nine foot pool table is such a prettier game. it seems the two fellas (especially earl) were being held back. Also noticed there isn't a diamond system on the rails.

But the production value is excellent (what an arena setup!).

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Good vid, thanks for posting. I'm only one rack in and I can't tell the difference from regular eight ball. Is it just the snooker equipment that's different? Also, is it just me or is Earl's 70" cue about 40% racquet tape at this point? That thing has got to weigh a ton

Ben

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good vid, thanks for posting. I'm only one rack in and I can't tell the difference from regular eight ball. Is it just the snooker equipment that's different? Also, is it just me or is Earl's 70" cue about 40% racquet tape at this point? That thing has got to weigh a ton

Ben

It's the same rules but the strategy of play is different because certain shots can't be done.

Earls shot on the two ball @ 4 min 33 sec mark. He would've had that all day on a pool table, rifle it down the rail and come out for position on 3 ball in the side. But because of the rounded facing in the pocket, he has to cinch it and therefore the miss.

Also look at cue ball around six minute mark react as earl goes for position off rail, it hits curve of side pocket facing and comes out straight. He is forced to make eight down in corner but on pool table that would've set up eight in the side, or scratch, never bounce straight out like that.

And banks are mostly non existent. Probably due to missing diamond system on rails and the facings rejecting anything not hit center pocket.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And banks are mostly non existent. Probably due to missing diamond system on rails and the facings rejecting anything not hit center pocket.

Plenty of banks are played in C8B. You don't need diamonds on the rail to know how to bank (or kick).

We (Americans) have just been spoiled :)

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the post, I always enjoy watching earl play. I am not surprised about the tennis wrap but what the heck is he doing with tape on his right hand middle fingers?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl behaved himself with Hendry- though he was talking a lot to Hendry. Number of times Hendry looked like he was trying to avoid the chit chat and was looking at other tables :D

Earl behaved himself with Hendry- though he was talking a lot to Hendry. Number of times Hendry looked like he was trying to avoid the chit chat and was looking at other tables :D

Hendry never says anything in the commentary box, let alone at the table.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's crazy the simple outs that become so difficult on those tables

elizabeth9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you followed Stephen Hendry on Twitter you would see that is an inaccurate assumption to make!

Attachments

• B6qcyVWCMAABtk5.jpg
    B6qcyVWCMAABtk5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,091

elizabeth9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool pic

Very cool pic showing both players smiling while in competition!

Attachments

• B6qfXWXIcAEQhQ0.jpg
    B6qfXWXIcAEQhQ0.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,005

Hawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you followed Stephen Hendry on Twitter you would see that is an inaccurate assumption to make!

I watched the match. It was very evident both players were having a good time. It's great to see Earl having fun at the table.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... They're not playing their best ... Some missed shots in some frames ...

Sean -- That's a bit understated! I watched only part of this match when it was live 2 weeks ago, but I watched the rest tonight. This was by far the most error-filled match of the ones I watched from this event. I suppose it is a match "of interest" because of who is playing. But they both played poorly in this event (at least relative to the other players I saw), and were the only two from their group of 6 who didn't go on to the next stage. Hendry lost all 5 of his matches.

In this match, 6 of the games were played without errors (except for a safety error), including one B&R from each player. But in the other 17 games, the number of misses and fouls totaled something like 55, and that ignores the position and safety errors. I don't recall seeing any other pro match of any type (of comparable length) so full of errors.

... it displays how tough and unforgiving these tables are. ...

Yes. I commented at the time that this match made me appreciate the difficulty of the tables, particularly down the rails. But then I saw the top players in the event doing so much better, in fact, just about as well as top-level 8-ball on "American" 9-footers.

... What is nice to see, is Earl being a good sport, and both he and Stephen yucking it up during the match. ...

Agreed; they seemed to be enjoying their mutual futility. But I wonder how Hendry would have felt about it if he had been competitive in the event and really needed to focus.

Edit -- And if you want to re-visit the worst of their play, take another look at Game 17.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Thnaks for posting this, I forgot how much I love 8 Ball, I am going to play some this weekend.:thumbup: