Earl Strickland

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
When will be able to view the match? I wasn't able to watch the stream but would love to watch it. Fingers crossed they release it on a stream site or hard disc. Anyone around w/ any insight to that?

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has been taken to the wood shead a time or two, one that hit him hard was loosing the Muciee endorsements back 10 or 15 years ago.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poor analogy.

The difference between Earl and stars in other sports is they have to face consequences for their actions. Vick was in prison for awhIle. Remember?

What consequences has Earl faced for his behavior? Has he been barred from any tournaments or fined?

Holy bad analogy bro-seph. Vick wasn't in prison for being a little wacky during games, he committed a crime. If people got arrested for being wacky every girlfriend I ever had would be locked up ;)

These "Earl can't play anymore" threads are what's wacky. Maybe he's not the superhuman maniac he once was but dude still could give weight to 99.9% of players on Earth and still make em eat the McSmash with a side of Smash fries.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy bad analogy bro-seph. Vick wasn't in prison for being a little wacky during games, he committed a crime. If people got arrested for being wacky every girlfriend I ever had would be locked up ;)

These "Earl can't play anymore" threads are what's wacky. Maybe he's not the superhuman maniac he once was but dude still could give weight to 99.9% of players on Earth and still make em eat the McSmash with a side of Smash fries.
Hockey players regularly trash talk and then drop the gloves. 2 minutes in the box or 5 if they actually drop the gloves. A lot of sports involve barking at each other while playing.

Pool is an interesting game. People trash talk at the table - players and even viewers get upset about it (I'm part of that group) but in other sports it is just part of the game.

Almost like it is supposed to be a gentleman's game despite the history of hustling and back room deals.

Earl is still one of my favorite players. Man can that guy put the juice on the cue ball and you never know what will come out of his mouth.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Poor analogy.

The difference between Earl and stars in other sports is they have to face consequences for their actions. Vick was in prison for awhIle. Remember?

What consequences has Earl faced for his behavior? Has he been barred from any tournaments or fined?

Ummm, sorry. Earl committed no felonies. What penalties should he face? And yeah, in baseball, when they get pissy they throw a round, hard sphere at you approaching 100 mph. Very rarely does someone get suspended or fined for doing that intentionally. Usually a warning first, and then ejected from the game next time.

I can't recall Jordan EVER being ejected, fined or suspended for talking shit to his opponents, and he was pretty harsh, the worst in the business some have said.

Jordan trashed talk to get a competitive advantage, and all he got for his troubles was 6 championship trophies, a few MVP's, sent to the HOF, endorsement deals up the wazzo, is an owner of a basketball team, and net worth now north of $1Billion, basically the total net worth of every pool player that ever lived ;)

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl was and still is a beast on the table however,,, at the top top level of this sport we need a gentleman, somebody that shows both skill and character period.... We follow character

Who's "we"? One guy named you? Maybe a couple others who are out of touch, or never were in touch to begin with?

Name another sport where this is a thing. Lebron is a gentleman with character? A-Rod is a gentleman with character? The tennis dude who's always smashing his racket is a gentleman with character? Michael Vick or the other guy who beat and raped his wife are gentlemen with character?

What is it with poking balls around a table in a smoky dark place, usually with some of the seediest people on Earth that seems to need gentlemanly character? Where did this concept come from? As far as I can tell from the history, this game nor anyone who plays it has ever had any character. Why are we trying to constantly put lipstick on the pig and take it to the prom?

Can we please stop with this nonsense once and for all before the sport dies? The world does not want pool players in tuxedos, wearing a monocle, talking properly about the merits of gentleman-ship...they want pool players. Can we give them pool players please...while there are any left?

I hate most of the scumbags who play pool also, but that's what we have. Wish and want for other things but that's all fantasy island and that midget "the plane the plane" guy's dead.

Fin.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can we please stop with this nonsense once and for all before the sport dies? The world does not want pool players in tuxedos, wearing a monocle, talking properly about the merits of gentleman-ship...they want pool players. Can we give them pool players please...while there are any left?

Funny how Americans are the only country that wants "pool players", and it's practically the only country where there's always talk about pool dying.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ummm, sorry. Earl committed no felonies. What penalties should he face? And yeah, in baseball, when they get pissy they throw a round, hard sphere at you approaching 100 mph. Very rarely does someone get suspended or fined for doing that intentionally. Usually a warning first, and then ejected from the game next time.

I can't recall Jordan EVER being ejected, fined or suspended for talking shit to his opponents, and he was pretty harsh, the worst in the business some have said.

Jordan trashed talk to get a competitive advantage, and all he got for his troubles was 6 championship trophies, a few MVP's, sent to the HOF, endorsement deals up the wazzo, is an owner of a basketball team, and net worth now north of $1Billion, basically the total net worth of every pool player that ever lived ;)

Fine, let's compare it to a real cue sport then, like snooker.

If Earl played snooker, he would have faced consequences for many of his actions, but in the pool industry he's allowed to run amok like a child without parents.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If Earl played snooker, he would have faced consequences for many of his actions, but in the pool industry he's allowed to run amok like a child without parents.
I think comparing pool to snooker is like comparing baseball to cricket

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how Americans are the only country that wants "pool players", and it's practically the only country where there's always talk about pool dying.

Pro pool has failed spectacularly in America, and here's why -

- We have tons of sports in America, tons of activities, there's just tons of stuff for people to watch and do

- Despite this, pool is usually listed as the #2 activity in the country (let's call it top 5 to avoid any debates). A LOT of people play pool casually. The market is enormous.

- "Pool" in America though, to 99% of Americans, means call shot 8 ball played on a 7' "bar table", in a bar, darkly lit, wearing casual bar clothes, in a loud environment

- Pro Pool in America, is mainly no-call-shot 9-ball, on a 9 foot table, dressed up, in a well lit, very quiet environment.

"Pool" and "Pro Pool" couldn't be more different. Do you think that's a good thing to someone watching? Do you think they understand at all what's going on? Will they spend a lot of time trying to understand what's going on, or will they simply go watch/do another one of the many activities and sports there are?

What did we do here, you ask? Well, "pool players" made it into a game that only THEY like. The general pool populace does not like it, and can't relate at all.

So...I'm sure we got it right and don't need to change right? We need more tuxedos please. More "gentleman" to follow. What's the definition of insanity again?

You might not like Earl's shenanigans but there's no way he's bad for the game. And he still plays pretty sporty.

Last edited:

GoldenFlash

Banned
I blame the TD's, promoters, and the venue itself for letting Earl get away with what he does. And it's only because of more viewers ($$$) buying the PPV. 10 years ago it was for the live gate. Earl thinks he's like tennis star John Mcenroe, when he's just a piss ant compared to him. Johnnyt
In my opinion...NOTE I said in my opinion, the sports analogies just don't wash. Pool is not a sport, it's just a game, no matter how much pool players would like for it to be a sport. I agree that it is a FORM of sport but nowhere being a sport within itself.
Furthermore, has anyone ever seen an opponent dish it back to Strickland like he dishes it out?
Maybe if someone looked him in the eye and said something like......"STFU you no shooting southern trash hillbilly. I'm running this game...you missed because you can't play anymore, you loser. Now watch me give you some more of this on your next shot. And if you don't like that, make your move...NOW, you understand that BOY"???
And just keep cracking on him....no mercy.
Old saying in pool rooms........"Remember, if he's a talker he's also a listener"
Burn him out...........BUT make those balls as well.
:confused:

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion...NOTE I said in my opinion, the sports analogies just don't wash. Pool is not a sport, it's just a game, no matter how much pool players would like for it to be a sport. I agree that it is a FORM of sport but nowhere being a sport within itself.
Furthermore, has anyone ever seen an opponent dish it back to Strickland like he dishes it out?
Maybe if someone looked him in the eye and said something like......"STFU you no shooting southern trash hillbilly. I'm running this game...you missed because you can't play anymore, you loser. Now watch me give you some more of this on your next shot. And if you don't like that, make your move...NOW, you understand that BOY"???
And just keep cracking on him....no mercy.
Old saying in pool rooms........"Remember, if he's a talker he's also a listener"
Burn him out...........BUT make those balls as well.
:confused:

Good luck with that...

1) Ever try to reason with the mentally unstable?
2) There's only a handful of people in the world with the pool skill to pull that off

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro pool has failed spectacularly in America, and here's why -

- We have tons of sports in America, tons of activities, there's just tons of stuff for people to watch and do

- Despite this, pool is usually listed as the #2 activity in the country (let's call it top 5 to avoid any debates). A LOT of people play pool casually. The market is enormous.

- "Pool" in America though, to 99% of Americans, means call shot 8 ball played on a 7' "bar table", in a bar, darkly lit, wearing casual bar clothes, in a loud environment

- Pro Pool in America, is mainly no-call-shot 9-ball, on a 9 foot table, dressed up, in a well lit, very quiet environment.

"Pool" and "Pro Pool" couldn't be more different. Do you think that's a good thing to someone watching? Do you think they understand at all what's going on? Will they spend a lot of time trying to understand what's going on, or will they simply go watch/do another one of the many activities and sports there are?

What did we do here, you ask? Well, "pool players" made it into a game that only THEY like. The general pool populace does not like it, and can't relate at all.

So...I'm sure we got it right and don't need to change right? We need more tuxedos please. More "gentleman" to follow. What's the definition of insanity again?
Add Canada in there. Pool has followed the same downward spiral as the US. Hopefully something Kickstarts it back on track

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with this. The problem is that pool doesn't have a proper disciplinary board to handle such things. If pool is to be a respected, reputable and profitable cue sport like snooker, it would do well to have a well-managed, well-funded organization running it. If America is unable to take charge with this then leave it to Asia, where most of the real talent and interest in the sport is anyway.

Back to topic. The shelf life for pool players is much longer than that of snooker players. As long as you have the table knowledge, you can still play decent-level pool even if your technique has deteriorated. I would say that Earl would still be able to give the top players a run for their money well into his late 50s/early 60s.

In my opinion what Earl really needs to improve his game is to have someone who'd fix that head of his. Maybe a sports psychologist or something. It worked for Ronnie O'Sullivan, so why not give it a try for Earl?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Poor analogy.

------------:thumbup:-------------------

Thanks for pointing out his very faulty thinking & this is just one example.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Ok, fine by me. Again, so what. He would have paid his fine or served a suspension here or there. AGain, so what. A guy kills dogs or beats his wife or his kid, or commits a little rape and is still allowed to play in the NFL.

Yep, that NFL only made how many BILLIONS last year. HOw many folks watched the Super Bowl last year world wide..100M and that was just in the US. I just saw the reigning MVP in baseball last year tell the home plate "FU" on TV, several times... ya know, a sport with 30K fans in the stands, and another 1M watching from home....yeah, he got ejected, otherwise, it was a big whooping yawn to most sports fans everywhere.

Compared to the main stream sports, Earl is a choir boy ;)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, fine by me. Again, so what. He would have paid his fine or served a suspension here or there. AGain, so what. A guy kills dogs or beats his wife or his kid, or commits a little rape and is still allowed to play in the NFL.

Yep, that NFL only made how many BILLIONS last year. HOw many folks watched the Super Bowl last year world wide..100M and that was just in the US. I just saw the reigning MVP in baseball last year tell the home plate "FU" on TV, several times... ya know, a sport with 30K fans in the stands, and another 1M watching from home....yeah, he got ejected, otherwise, it was a big whooping yawn to most sports fans everywhere.

Compared to the main stream sports, Earl is a choir boy ;)

You keep leaving out the part that players in the NFL that break the rules have to face consequences for their actions. It's not like a player breaks the law, and is immediately allowed back on the field. Shit, Tom Brady is going to be suspended for ALLEGEDLY being involved in "Deflate Gate"

Obviously Earl's antics aren't as bad as most in main stream sports, but you have to look at in a vacuum. Otherwise you could never be upset about anything in your life. Oh, transmission went out in your car. Well at least you weren't in the WTC on 9/11.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I agree with this. The problem is that pool doesn't have a proper disciplinary board to handle such things. If pool is to be a respected, reputable and profitable cue sport like snooker, it would do well to have a well-managed, well-funded organization running it. If America is unable to take charge with this then leave it to Asia, where most of the real talent and interest in the sport is anyway....

That's it. The BCA basically sold out the game & the Pro Players.

The Brits Honor their Game with Tradition.

The Pro Players allowed themselves to be sold out by not taking control of their own game the way the Professional Golfers did when they formed the PGA of America.

Best Wishes for You & Yours.. & ALL.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To understand Earl Strickland, One must know this about him...

Pool isn't life or death to Earl Strickland, it's far more important than that.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
To understand Earl Strickland, One must know this about him...

Pool isn't life or death to Earl Strickland, it's far more important than that.

In the movie Lamans, Steve McQueen's character has this line...

"Racing IS living...

Everything else is just waiting to Live Again.".

Best Wishes for You & Yours... & ALL.