eBay seller warning

mrparks

Registered
Beware of this person on eBay. He sold me a cue that turned out to be a very convincing fake. He won't answer any messages after several attempts made.

Attachments

• DE2D9718-D22B-4AD5-95E1-E433CF5F70F2.png
    DE2D9718-D22B-4AD5-95E1-E433CF5F70F2.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 109

mrparks

Registered
It was advertised as an Ebony Leonard Bludworth cue. Upon closer inspection by another individual, it appears that it’s possibly Maple or another type of wood that’s been painted black and clearcoated. In the butt There are some very faint lines underneath that looks like it had some sort of inlays and they were covered up with the paint and clearcoat. The joint collar also appears to have been replaced. The wood inside the joint collar is not Ebony. I thought it was just wood material inside the joint collar. If anyone has any helpful information on this I’d greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• A4A46A87-6AC4-4DED-8E07-390B579C20BC.jpeg
    A4A46A87-6AC4-4DED-8E07-390B579C20BC.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 12230345-EEF8-40E0-BF8F-1A5A61B8D149.jpeg
    12230345-EEF8-40E0-BF8F-1A5A61B8D149.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 170
  • 9785C112-3BD7-4D9A-AE4D-E3D57FFEA989.jpeg
    9785C112-3BD7-4D9A-AE4D-E3D57FFEA989.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 75E771E2-0C70-4314-A131-BF98FEF4AABF.jpeg
    75E771E2-0C70-4314-A131-BF98FEF4AABF.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 165
  • C7CEE4E5-C793-4EF5-BB23-79716D90297E.jpeg
    C7CEE4E5-C793-4EF5-BB23-79716D90297E.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 198678D7-3D4C-46AD-994F-E1726E8526A0.jpeg
    198678D7-3D4C-46AD-994F-E1726E8526A0.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 160

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be a difficult chargeback as neither e bay nor your credit card company know what a Bludworth is supposed to look like. Your best case with e bay will be bolstered by the sellers' lack of responses to you - use the message function on eBay to contact the seller multiple times so that it is documented within their system.
Unfortunately - a red dot is a very easy cue maker signature to copy by any amateur. Someone who knows cues picked up on this and now is in action producing fakes. I suspect a few other cues out there are being faked; in fact, I know that they are being faked, not to mention names here, but the smart folks will know what I am talking about - for one example, beware of the very expensive sneaky Pete cues, soooo easy to fake!!

In this case, obviously a cue maker was not involved; but if you partner someone who knows about cues with someone good with a lathe you can create some fairly expensive fake cues with just small investment of time and money.

mrparks

Registered
More pics. You be the judge.

Attachments

• ED0D0931-940D-435B-85BE-8A69B48D9F80.jpeg
    ED0D0931-940D-435B-85BE-8A69B48D9F80.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 42FAA213-28B2-4B30-A749-511487C5113C.jpeg
    42FAA213-28B2-4B30-A749-511487C5113C.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 7BD911CA-EFFF-43F3-B38A-736073E9D205.jpeg
    7BD911CA-EFFF-43F3-B38A-736073E9D205.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 74

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mrparks, Howdy;

Must not have hit the post button yesterday, chuckle.
I wrote how you might ask Leonard's son Donald if he might be able to authenticate
the cue. He may also be able to point you to one of the cuemakers that Leonard
helped/mentored if they might be able to verify the cue in question. Reckon it all
depends on how much leg work you are willing to do to give you the piece of mind
you seem to want.

hank

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
This may be a difficult chargeback as neither e bay nor your credit card company know what a Bludworth is supposed to look like.
Banks do chargebacks every day without knowing what items are supposed to look like. It can be summed up in a word, documentation.

There has been some excellent advice given in this thread that, if followed will either give peace of mind or documentation of inaccurate discription of purchased item.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
mrparks, Howdy;

Must not have hit the post button yesterday, chuckle.
I wrote how you might ask Leonard's son Donald if he might be able to authenticate
the cue. He may also be able to point you to one of the cuemakers that Leonard
helped/mentored if they might be able to verify the cue in question. Reckon it all
depends on how much leg work you are willing to do to give you the piece of mind
you seem to want.

hank

Good advice. And you hit the post button.
This is not the only thread on this.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
thats why you use a credit card. you can cancel and dispute any sale and you wont be responsible as long as you do your part.

that is also why most scammers wont take a credit card.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banks do chargebacks every day without knowing what items are supposed to look like. It can be summed up in a word, documentation.

There has been some excellent advice given in this thread that, if followed will either give peace of mind or documentation of inaccurate discription of purchased item.
Right- that was my exact point- you need to find some documentation that a bank can understand and support- so with a cue- you may need to show that something sold as a Bludworth is not actually a Bludworth cue. Showing a bank mis representation of an item involves specifics, not generalities.
Banks do chargebacks based on supported facts, so far the pics alone would probably not convince a bank that this is not a Bludworth; he may need some documentation from someone that the bank would accept as a third party "expert" regarding this cue. As someone else mentioned- getting someone like Donald Bludworth to weigh in with his written opinion on the cue.

I worked for 26 years in the credit card business of the largest bank in the world.

mrparks

Registered
Right- that was my exact point- you need to find some documentation that a bank can understand and support- so with a cue- you may need to show that something sold as a Bludworth is not actually a Bludworth cue. Showing a bank mis representation of an item involves specifics, not generalities.
Banks do chargebacks based on supported facts, so far the pics alone would probably not convince a bank that this is not a Bludworth; he may need some documentation from someone that the bank would accept as a third party "expert" regarding this cue. As someone else mentioned- getting someone like Donald Bludworth to weigh in with his written opinion on the cue.

I worked for 26 years in the credit card business of the largest bank in the world.
What is the normal time frame for filing a claim?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am no expert but I have a guess. That wrap does not look original to me. My guess is someone got a Bludworth cue and had it painted over. If you paid high dollar for it, try to get your money back. If you got it cheap maybe have it sanded down and see what is under that that black coating. Since it looks like inlays are under it, you just might have a high dollar cue hiding under there. My only concern then would be why someone had it painted. Was it because they wanted a plain cue or were they hiding a stolen one?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the normal time frame for filing a claim?
Well the laws once stated that you had 90 days from the date of the initial charge to file a claim and the vendor had no more than 30 days to provide a response. I have been out of this for some time , but each credit card company had their own agreement that is signed by a vendor with specific charge back rules for that credit card company. The credit card company rules for chargeback had to comply with then governing Federal regulations - since the inception of the CFPB- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - laws may have changed as well as time frames - the current info should be available either from your credit card company or the CFPB site.

mrparks

Registered
Sounds honest enough.
If you bought it on the cheap maybe sanding it down and see whats under there.
A poster commented that it could be a stolen cue that was sprayed over to hide it.
If it was "pre-wrapped for shipping" after the wrap was put on, how was he able to take pictures of it?