Efren about to be knocked off the top of the all-time money list

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Over $2M lifetime...wow, about what the 175th best plastic surgeon in LA makes in a year.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's interesting to imagine a world where Trudeau wasn't a crook and the IPT became a mainstay in pool. Imagine multiple events annually paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars for first place.

Assuming it was still ongoing from 2005, would pro pool have twice as many good players now? I wonder what type of money would move the needle in terms of participation and pro aspirations from the masses.
Sorry, the IPT didn't fail because Trudeau was a crook. Yes, he was.

The IPT failed because its business model was broken from day one. The revenue sources were never there that would justify the budget and prize payouts to which Trudeau committed.

Unfortunately, successful businessmen, both honest and dishonest, share one thing in common, and that's that they tend to pull the plug sooner rather than later on a losing business venture.

All that said, if you're asking whether there would be far more players in pool if there were millions of dollars to be won, the answer is surely yes. For every person that wants to be a pool pro, there are probably over 100 that will dedicate every ounce of their beings to be a golf pro, a baseball pro, a football pro, etc. For those who are not so athletic, there are probably 100 who would try to become world class poker players for every person that wants to be a pool pro.

Yes, it's the money that drives participation at the highest levels of every sport.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
You can`t compare money winnings from different eras. Hell, there are guys that have never won a tournament that have won more prize money than Jack Nicklaus
Some today are probably paid more to wear a logo hat in the Waste Management Phoenix Open than Ben Hogan won winning 3 Majors in 1953.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 689438

Efren has been at the top of this AZB all time money list since its inception. Shane is about $500 away from taking the top spot. I believe the list was started in 2004, but not certain (the data goes back much further than 2004, just the compilation of the list). It's been a LONG run!
Consider...not THAT long ago, Jack Nicklaus's money leading numbers have now been surpassed by countless other lesser golfers.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, there were articles where it was stated that Jeanette Lee was making more than any professional player in endorsements and if memory serves me right it was $400K per year. This wasn’t prize money or gambling or anything else, just endorsement. I hope that was true.

The sad thing was when she got ill, she set up a go fund me and folks who probably made $50K a year were ponying up $50 or $100 into it. I had to shake my head. Apparently, she had gone through all the money, or she hadn’t and was just preying on folks who would probably never make $400K a year.

PT Barnum was probably right.

Ken

Last edited: