Efren and Allison Named Players of the Decade

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I can't argue with that. They would have been my top picks. Congrat Allison and Efren. Johnnyt

RoryHunt

The King of "so close."
Silver Member
Very cool. If we were to go back from decade to decade, who would be the best players of each decade? 90's, 80's, 70's and so on. Then, if they were to play, in thier heyday, who would win in 8 ball, 9 ball and 14:1? Could make for an interesting thread. I wish I had more to contribute than just the idea.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats to them both. Great, classy people, and great stewards of their profession.

RobertR

WWSLD
Silver Member
I'm so happy Efren and Allison won. They are both truly great champions.

Although when I read that story I want to simultaneously cry and puke.

Subtracting the 'funny money' of the IPT, the fact that Efren won $1 million over the past decade is sickening. What's worse is that Allison only made $637K.

Efren's average income was $100K/year, Allison's was $63K/year. (I know the have endorsement deals, but I haven't seen Allison do a Pepsi commercial yet).

I work with morons that make more than that. :mad:

Efren is the Tiger Woods of Pool, and Allison is the Annika Sorenstam of Pool.

When o' When will these (and so many other) incredible champions get paid what they deserve?

Last edited:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
..Efren is the Tiger Woods of Pool...

Correction: Tiger Woods is the Efren Reyes of golf. :wink:

Congrats to Efren... He definitely earned it. He's the greatest player that ever picked up a cue and a true champion in every sense of the word.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
They was a long, emotionally charged thread, with a poll, on the male POTD a couple months back. IIRC Ralf was the leading vote getter. But as the thread wore on, the scale seemed to tip a bit towards Efren. Mika was the
3rd and final worthy player in the discussion.

Congrat's to Bata!

poolbreak

Registered
Correction: Tiger Woods is the Efren Reyes of golf.
Efren Reyes Is an upstanding citizen and doesn't deserve to be classified with Tiger Woods

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
delete........delete.........delete........OK..maybe I missed a thread, but who or what is the USBMA? Who are the principals, members, etc.?????

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
If we were to go back from decade to decade, who would be the best players of each decade? 90's, 80's, 70's and so on.

90's: Archer
80's: Sigel
70's: Mizerak
60's: Lassiter
50's: Mosconi
40's: Mosconi
30's: Greenleaf
20's: Greenleaf

wacases

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to both. Both are exception talents. Near-perfect and professionally game for such a long period:thumbup2: :thumbup2:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
They get my vote.
I shook Efren's hand at the DCC in '05. He seemed like a genuinely friendly person.
I've sent emails to Allison, asking her to marry me, but all I get back are form letters saying something about a lawsuit.
Anyway, congats to both.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How could you argue with either, they may both be the G.O.A.T.s for their perspective genders. So how could you argue? They both dominated the last decade with not only their skill, but with dignity, something that is too hard to find in the pool world these days!

jeremy

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
Efren with the last laugh

It's funny how from the perspective of the decade Efren has the last laugh. In the past few years he has won less and less but that's a skewed view because we just assume and had gotten used to, that the man should win anything he enters into tournament or a money game. Never the less there he is the last man standing. He truely is the Master!

As far as looking to the next decade and speculations for the 2020 POD, Mika chose the worst possible year to dominate. In 2009 he had one of the best years anyone could have at this level in the sport. But it will count for nothing when consideration for the 2020 POD. If he had just waited until this year (which is something impossible to do or not do) then he would have been waaaay ahead of the rest of the field. In that sense it's like he has to start over again.

But he is more than capable.

We'll see what things look like ten years from now, a lot of good players out there. Who knows, maybe the Master might be in the running again.

kano

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
It's funny how from the perspective of the decade Efren has the last laugh. In the past few years he has won less and less but that's a skewed view because we just assume and had gotten used to, that the man should win anything he enters into tournament or a money game. Never the less there he is the last man standing. He truely is the Master!

As far as looking to the next decade and speculations for the 2020 POD, Mika chose the worst possible year to dominate. In 2009 he had one of the best years anyone could have at this level in the sport. But it will count for nothing when consideration for the 2020 POD. If he had just waited until this year (which is something impossible to do or not do) then he would have been waaaay ahead of the rest of the field. In that sense it's like he has to start over again.

But he is more than capable.

We'll see what things look like ten years from now, a lot of good players out there. Who knows, maybe the Master might be in the running again.

kano

In a way, Mika's situation is the same as Efren's. Efren won the World Pool Championship in 1999 so this singular feat didn't actually get to be considered in choosing Efren as the Male POTD. (Bookend that with his most recent Master of the Table win at the just-concluded DCC and there is no doubt that he truly is deserving of the title.)

So if Mika continues his great run, and I'm sure he'd get his chance.

The question is, where will this put Ralf???

Last edited: