Efren Reyes, a worthy champion

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was fortunate enough to watch the IPT final today between Rodney Morris and Efren Reyes.

I was really hoping for Rodney because I understand that him and his wife have a small child and also that it would be nice for someone other than Efren win again.Winning $500 K would really set afamily up in a nice house and provide some financial security.

Having said that, I'm really glad also that Efren won.Rumour has it that he already has been providing for many other less fortunate Filipino's and extended family.The American dollar goes far in his homeland.

I'm also happy for him because he is such a worthy champion and a living legend. He has given so much to the game of pool.As a matter of fact he pretty much given his whole life to the game of pool.It's nice to see pool give back to him.

At 52 years old, one would think that we are seeing him play his last few years.A younger Rodney Morris will have many more opportunities to cash in on the big one.In that regard it is good to see Efren cash in before his day is done.

Efren Reyes, a worthy champion.
RJ

Last edited:

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
I was fortunate enough to watch the IPT final today between Rodney Morris and Earl Strickland.

I guess you were watching a different IPT final than the rest of us... :D

Just kidding dude... I guess you had a little "slip of the mind"... :eek:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
I was fortunate enough to watch the IPT final today between Rodney Morris and Earl Strickland.

I missed that one! :p

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Well, I for one am glad that it was Efren that won instead of Rodney. Bad juju is a B**ch, innit Rodney?

Russ

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nbc said:
recoveryjones said:

I guess you were watching a different IPT final than the rest of us... :D

Just kidding dude... I guess you had a little "slip of the mind"... :eek:

OOOOPPPSSS!!!:eek: :confused:

I must have put the wrong tobacco in my pipe.:eek:

Strickland's a great player,but he's no Efren.

Thanks for taking it easy on me guys.:p
RJ

fidel

Russ Chewning said:
Well, I for one am glad that it was Efren that won instead of Rodney. Bad juju is a B**ch, innit Rodney?

Russ
...'am also glad that Efren won, he needed the money badly for his charity works...also, i believe Efren needs the amount more than Rodney needs...;) ;) ;)

StiffStick

Registered
Efren quote

In the June issue of Billiards Digest, writer Ted Lerner quoted the following from Efren in his cover story: "When I'm playing good in 8-ball, nobody can beat me."

Although quite friendly and laid back, the man doesn't mess around when the big money's on the line.

Now how about if Efren wins the upcoming World Pool Championship in Manila this November? This is the first time the WPC will be held in the Philippines. And we all know Efren usually wins the first of every tournament.

DanielM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren is perfect to be the King of the Hill, he's known as probably the greatest all-round pool player in our times, not only that, but he won the last KOTH, so it only makes sense for him to be the one to beat as the top money earner this year.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Questions about the Match?

I have some questions, mostly about Efren during the match.

1) Did his nametag say 'Magician' or 'Master'?
2) What was that Pink thing he used on his shaft before playing?
3) Why did Efren, in the 5th game, not have to put the cue ball
behind the head string when Rodney scratched off the break? (like pros need it to be easier than league players?)
4) Did you notice he switched a little in his break, from breaking off the rail, to having his hand just in front of the rail. (Breaking off the rail is one reason he break doesn't have the power, IMO).
5) I noticed most pros were lined up directly with the head ball. I would have thought more of them would have been a little to one side or the other in breaking?
6) I thought Rodney should have reacted to scratching, and changed his break a little so he would not do it again.
7) Rodney did not play the table right on the game that put Efren on the hill. (5-13 tied up close to side pocket). Rodney definitely had his chances to get there, and didn't for the match.
8) Did you notice the white shirt for Rodney and black for Efren? Playing to the crowd?

bobson_215

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bump

bump!! :D:D:D:D

Snapshot9 said:
I have some questions, mostly about Efren during the match.

1) Did his nametag say 'Magician' or 'Master'?
2) What was that Pink thing he used on his shaft before playing?
3) Why did Efren, in the 5th game, not have to put the cue ball
behind the head string when Rodney scratched off the break? (like pros need it to be easier than league players?)
4) Did you notice he switched a little in his break, from breaking off the rail, to having his hand just in front of the rail. (Breaking off the rail is one reason he break doesn't have the power, IMO).
5) I noticed most pros were lined up directly with the head ball. I would have thought more of them would have been a little to one side or the other in breaking?
6) I thought Rodney should have reacted to scratching, and changed his break a little so he would not do it again.
7) Rodney did not play the table right on the game that put Efren on the hill. (5-13 tied up close to side pocket). Rodney definitely had his chances to get there, and didn't for the match.
8) Did you notice the white shirt for Rodney and black for Efren? Playing to the crowd?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess Efren's win cements the fact that he is the most accomplished 8ball player in billiards history. This is his THIRD DIFFERENT "World" 8ball title that he has won. He won at least one or two PBT World 8ball titles. Two years ago, he won the inaugural WPA World 8ball title. And now, he has won the IPT World 8ball title. Not too shabby.

Just a couple of comments on the match...

I still think a single race to 8 is ridiculous. Neither of them had found a real rhythm. If there was a second set and Rodney find his break, the match would have been completely different.

No one has mentioned the great call by the ref on Efren's foul. Sure, we post thread after thread about a supposed bad call by a ref. But when a ref makes a great call, there is no acknowledging of it whatsoever. Efren's shot on the 8ball was very close, but the replays have proved that it was indeed a foul. Much props to the ref for making that correct call. Not only that, he announced the foul immediately, without hesitation, and with confidence.

Efren dogged two 8balls, missed a moderately easy cut shot in the corner, only made two balls (I think) off the break...and he still won. Efren clearly didn't play his best. When playing Efren, you rarely get this much opportunity. The title was there for Rodney to grab...he just didn't execute.

How bout that position shot on the final 8? I'm sure I wasn't the only one that almost had a heart attack. :p

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jsp said:
I guess Efren's win cements the fact that he is the most accomplished 8ball player in billiards history. This is his THIRD DIFFERENT "World" 8ball title that he has won. He won at least one or two PBT World 8ball titles. Two years ago, he won the inaugural WPA World 8ball title. And now, he has won the IPT World 8ball title. Not too shabby.

Just a couple of comments on the match...

I still think a single race to 8 is ridiculous. Neither of them had found a real rhythm. If there was a second set and Rodney find his break, the match would have been completely different.

No one has mentioned the great call by the ref on Efren's foul. Sure, we post thread after thread about a supposed bad call by a ref. But when a ref makes a great call, there is no acknowledging of it whatsoever. Efren's shot on the 8ball was very close, but the replays have proved that it was indeed a foul. Much props to the ref for making that correct call. Not only that, he announced the foul immediately, without hesitation, and with confidence.

Efren dogged two 8balls, missed a moderately easy cut shot in the corner, only made two balls (I think) off the break...and he still won. Efren clearly didn't play his best. When playing Efren, you rarely get this much opportunity. The title was there for Rodney to grab...he just didn't execute.

How bout that position shot on the final 8? I'm sure I wasn't the only one that almost had a heart attack. :p

Being a ref is a thankless job. It is all about positioning. Still, refs have good days and bad days just like the players do.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
However he hasn't qualified yet for WPC.

It's so funny, he said, he's having trouble positioning the cue ball because he's nervous. Well, I guess even the great one gets the jitters.

It's also interesting that Efren's cornerman is Santos Sambajon, a US pool circuit player. I'm not so sure if they've known each other for quite sometimes.

Last edited:

BallBuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coughing, Ugly Mustache and Teeth

I'm so happy for the Magician for winning the IPT WOrld 8-Ball Championship. I'm very proud of him. I wish with the generous money that he got, he could get a doctor to checkup on his coughing, buy scissors to trim his ugly mustache and perhaps if its ok, get an orthodontists to fix his teeth. KT put a lot of money and risk to make this tournament very professional, respectable and prestigious... it is the least the magician can do and it's good for him. He will be on the front covers of all billiards magazines and e-zines... I mean com'on.. also he was coughing all the time in his tv matches... of course he still deliver his spectacular shots and i really like it.. but common... i won't blame Earl if ever he complain Efren's coughing distracting him... :)

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Earl complains about anything. It's his thing. I just hope it's not personal. He's like the John McEnroe of pool. LOL

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
To say that E is a worthy champion is like saying that EINSTIEN was bright...

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was happy to see Efren win simply because of the fact that he is the most respected player on the face of the earth today. The number of players that list Efren as their favorite player is endless, and many of the younger players look up to him as well.