Efren - vs- Griffs

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
just in case you are being serious....Roger is an excellent player. Plays all the games at a very high level but rotation games I think are his best. He used to be near the top 10-15 years ago. lives in the Dallas area now. Still plays GREAT and is a pretty cool cat.

Last edited:

h2o4170

h2o4170
Silver Member
Back in 92 or 93 he was in west palm beach for the florida flare up he came into Sticks and Stones(dick weavers room) He and Dick played a race to 9 on table 1 a tripple shimmed goldcrown(prob the toughest goldcrown I ever played on) they flipped the coin Roger won and Dick never needed to put his cues togetherbhe ran 9 and out on a tough table hed never hit a ball on.I think it was for a dime.He was running with Mark and Dennis Hatch and I remember they had just bought a brand new Blue caddy.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw him on ESPN several years ago, they were wearing stupid white sweaters. I thought they said he was a Canadian.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Saw him on ESPN several years ago, they were wearing stupid white sweaters. I thought they said he was a Canadian.

I think you're talking about the International Challenge of Champions tournament...if so, I think you're mistaken about seeing Roger there. I could be wrong, but I don't recall him ever playing in that event.

Roger came in 2nd to Efren in the World 8 ball Championship in the same year as the match linked by the OP. (2000 or 2001, I'm not sure which.)

In case you couldn't tell by his performance in this match, Roger plays world-class.

(I think you're thinking of either John Horsfall or Luc Salvas, both of those guys are Canadian...Luc looks a little bit like Roger.)

223tracer

C-c-combo breaker
Silver Member
One of the better pros of the 90's. He won the Ultimate Nine Ball Championship I think it was called-an ESPN event.

He was from the Heartland somewhere and I havent seen him enter a pro event in 8+ years.

Pretty sure it's Griffis also.

I'm pretty sure he lost that match on the hill to Archer in the finals. I remember because Archer had a huge PBT emblem sewn in a jacket he left in the chair so you can see it on tv. It was when the UPA first started I think and they were competing. This was one of the tournaments that switched back and forth between men and women playing.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure he lost that match on the hill to Archer in the finals. I remember because Archer had a huge PBT emblem sewn in a jacket he left in the chair so you can see it on tv. It was when the UPA first started I think and they were competing. This was one of the tournaments that switched back and forth between men and women playing.

I think they had a couple of those events. I know I was at one in Orlando and Im 99% sure he won that one. I remember him beiing on the cover of one of the mags and shortly thereafter he wandered into my regular room in New York.

UPA? You sure you don't mean PCA?

Last edited:

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Roger Griffis

AZB has him ranked 1305.Nicknamed "the rocket".You can also see some tourney results on the AZ player finder.

A good match to watch.In 2/6 Griffis dogs an 8 ball apparently distracted by the ref.Maybe he had a case of Efrenitous? or was not used to playing in front of cameras.

Last edited:

223tracer

C-c-combo breaker
Silver Member
I think they had a couple of those events. I know I was at one in Orlando and Im 99% sure he won that one. I remember him beiing on the cover of one of the mags and shortly thereafter he wandered into my regular room in New York.

UPA? You sure you don't mean PCA?

oops yea i believe it was pca. He may have but im sure archer beat him on the hill to win one of them. Roger took a flier at a 9 and sold out.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Can't remember the year, but I was playing in Reno and Roger was there and then next week he played in Hollywood, basement pool room, he played great that two week stretch, pretty sure he beat Efren to win one or both of the events, also remember Mark Tadd at Hollywood. Roger wasn't missing much, and his laughter and table manners during play were also exceptional. He couldn't miss cutting a ball just off the rail length of table and running whitey back and forth 4 rails to nearly the same spot the cut object ball used to be for shape on his next ball.