English Billiards high breaks

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a search but can't seem to find an all-time list of the highest breaks ever recorded. Does such a list exist? I know Lindrum had a 4,000+ and many other 2,000+ runs and I think another guy once had a 2,800 or something like that, but I'd love to know what the all-time list would look like.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did a search but can't seem to find an all-time list of the highest breaks ever recorded. Does such a list exist? I know Lindrum had a 4,000+ and many other 2,000+ runs and I think another guy once had a 2,800 or something like that, but I'd love to know what the all-time list would look like.
Tom Reece has a record of sorts of over 490,000 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Reece) but it was with the balls crotched (as we would say in the US) and was disallowed due to lack of enough witnesses.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I thought Lindrum owned that record.

He owns the record for the highest legitimate break, Reece's cradle cannon break was as much a circus event as anything.

I seem to remember hearing the Mike Russell recently made his first 1000 break in competition. Amazing considering the frequency with which they seemed to make 1000 breaks back in the early 20th century.

Tom Newman once suggested that it was beneficial to a player to break up top of the table play and play some of the all around the game before moving back to the top of the table to help maintain concentration. All I had to say to that was, WTF????? How good do you have to be that you can go back and forth so easily? I have some dvd's from the World Professional Championship from last year, and those players most certainly didn't seem like they would want to intentionally give up top of the table position.

It's a beautiful game, too bad I suck at it. lol