Ever been "Diamondized"?

9BallPaul

Banned
That's an expression I picked up last week at the DCC. Players who rattled pockets continuously groused about the stingy equipment. My own experience on Diamond tables tends to back this up. Love the challenge, however.

Last edited:

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats my super tight Diamond pro 9 footer in my avatar so you can bet I've rattled a bunch, but it beats any Brunswick I've played on.--Leonard

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I thought it was Olhausens that were famous for pocket rattlers. I don't have experience with Diamonds but I've heard nothing but great things about them. But if you can't pot a well hit ball along the rail with any speed then I'm not impressed.

I'd like RKC to weigh in because I'm betting it is a set up issue. Just too many good things said about Diamonds to be a problem inherent with the design.

9BallPaul

Banned
DogsPlayingPool said:
I thought it was Olhausens that were famous for pocket rattlers. I don't have experience with Diamonds but I've heard nothing but great things about them. But if you can't pot a well hit ball along the rail with any speed then I'm not impressed.

I'd like RKC to weigh in because I'm betting it is a set up issue. Just too many good things said about Diamonds to be a problem inherent with the design.

I'm not suggesting there's a design problem. Just sayin', tough tables. Don't know how the DCC tables were shimmed -- or if -- just know that they seemed to play pretty tough. No cheating the pockets that I could see.

Last edited:

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that the cloth when veiwed from above looked like tiger stripes near the side rails. I guess where it was stretched unevenly.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
DogsPlayingPool said:

DogsPlayingPool,

The term "Diamonized" was first used by non other than JCIN and some people in the TAR Booth:thumbup: during a match commentating

It is not an attack term, but the most flattering compliment to the Diamond Table. It's not used for rattling pockets like some tables tend to when angles are cut poorly or used cheap materials. It basically means, you can't miss the balls like one would with some tables and still hope to fall in -

Diamonized! : is a term used when the ball hangs in the jaws of the pocket because it was not shot to the back of the pocket. Some tables have very forgiving pockets which you can miss the ball as much as half a diamond but would fall in with right speed, but it will not on a Diamond Table. When a ball that would pocket in most table that hang up last minute, that is DIAMON-IZED:cool:

S.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
9BallPaul said:
I'm not suggesting there's a design problem. Just sayin', tough tables. Don't know how the DCC tables were shimmed -- or if -- just know that they seemed to play pretty tough. No cheating the pockets that I could see.

All the tables at DCC were the standard "Pro-Cut Series". It was not anymore shimmed when it left the factory.

And you said it the best, you cannot cheat the pocket on those;)

S.

p.s. Don't you just hate catching grammar and spelling errors after you post a reply? Dang-it:)

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Appreciate the explanation; like I said, I've heard nothing but good things about Diamonds so I was kind of curious about this. :thumbup: So then, a well aimed shot can be hit with speed along or near the rail and still go in. That's good. That's what I don't like about most Olhausens, or at least the way most "O's" seem to be set up.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
DogsPlayingPool said:
Appreciate the explanation; like I said, I've heard nothing but good things about Diamonds so I was kind of curious about this. :thumbup: So then, a well aimed shot can be hit with speed along or near the rail and still go in. That's good. That's what I don't like about most Olhausens, or at least the way most "O's" seem to be set up.

Of course! Have you ever seen how Shane VanBoening fires those balls in on Diamond Tables? It's because he shoots so straight and accurate. Once during a match (I believe he was on the TV match), Shane fires in this extreme cut into a side pocket with such a force to pull a shape, it made a loud "thud" noise and the whole bleacher awled and wowed:eek:

In my opinion, Greg Sullivan is a genius for coming up with the formula for his pockets.

S.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
well put!

The Diamonds are honest. They all play very consistently. They will accept a well hit ball and it takes a real effort to pop one back out of a pocket on a straight in shot when you need to. However, if you are used to taking liberties with the pockets and counting on generous pockets to let the balls fall anyway, you are gonna get bit!

Hu

sunnyday said:
DogsPlayingPool,

The term "Diamonized" was first used by non other than JCIN and some people in the TAR Booth:thumbup: during a match commentating

It is not an attack term, but the most flattering compliment to the Diamond Table. It's not used for rattling pockets like some tables tend to when angles are cut poorly or used cheap materials. It basically means, you can't miss the balls like one would with some tables and still hope to fall in -

Diamonized! : is a term used when the ball hangs in the jaws of the pocket because it was not shot to the back of the pocket. Some tables have very forgiving pockets which you can miss the ball as much as half a diamond but would fall in with right speed, but it will not on a Diamond Table. When a ball that would pocket in most table that hang up last minute, that is DIAMON-IZED:cool:

S.

BigGun72

gotgamble?
tough pockets

those diamond pro-ams play about 25% tighter once the cloth gets wore about a month or two, especially when its raining outside

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played alot on the Diamond Pro Cut tables at Reno. They play really nice and true.

I did find that my GCI with 4" pockets plays tougher than those Diamonds.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
diamonds are great tables, what I dont like is the deep shelf. only 40% of the ball is visiable down the rail if he OB is at the back of the shelf, thats just too deep IMO. the size of the opening of the pocket is secondary to me-however I like to cheat pockets and create angles to me thats part of pool, if I have to just hit the enter of the pocket I will play snooker.

Having said all that Diamonds have the best ball return system ever, the wood on the rails is great, they are standardized from room to room(unless humidity is a fator) the problem with Gold Crowns is you can play on 20 different tables and they all play differently, everybody seems to have their own idea of how to set them up. With Diamond boxes they all play about the same, and with the pro-am one piece slate they are perfect for tournments because they are easilly set up and broke down making them THE best choice for events. The leather over the pockets is much better than Gold Crowns too.

I dont like to get "Diamonized" because thats not pool its snooker. I have both in my house-best of both worlds, but I firmly believe the "Perfect" table is yet to be built(dont worry I aint gonna attempt that-i like my sanity ;) )

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigGun72 said:
those diamond pro-ams play about 25% tighter once the cloth gets wore about a month or two, especially when its raining outside

thats all tables, its abut 40-50 hours play, about a week around my house.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I don't whether or not the DCC tables were the same as the Reno ones, but honestly I thought that the Reno tables were way too generous.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
9BallPaul said:
That's an expression I picked up last week at the DCC. Players who rattled pockets continuously groused about the stingy equipment. My own experience on Diamond tables tends to back this up. Love the challenge, however.

Yep. A tight Diamond is INTIMIDATING. But there is no better feeling in the world than getting in dead punch on one and OWNING it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
predator said:
Any pictures of those pockets?
Two balls fit in a pocket or not?

It's not just about the size of the pocket openings it has to do with the angle they are cut at as well. Greg Sullivan has written about this many times and explained why the pockets on a Diamond are cut the way they are.

KyPLayer

Registered
BigGun72 said:
Amen Brother,The diamonds at the DCC were not as tough as the ones i play on even when they have new cloth.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I agree with Fatboy 100%, cheating the pocket is integral to the game and is part of the art, especially in games like straight pool.

It is possible for a table to play tough yet fair, and allow for some speed shots down the rail and some cheating of the pocket, yet still requiring accurate shot making. So much is in the set up it's not even funny.

I've said this before and I think it bears repeating here: If I had a table I'd choose a mechanic as carefully as I choose a cue maker.