Ever seen or made a stippled stack leather wrap?

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
I have an idea and wonder if anyone here has ever tried this or seen an example of it.

Install a thick stack leather wrap, in whatever color desired, and then stipple the leather with nail sets, such as these:

190nlst.jpg

Afterwards, spray several coats of Proshine (can't seem to locate it online, but a local shoe repairman sells the stuff) to the point where the wrap starts to shine a bit.

I imagine the resulting stippled leather wrap would feel pretty good, and look alright too.

Your ideas on making a wrap like this look especially good, or perhaps changing it in some way, are appreciated.

Flex

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Wow!

As of this time, there have been 74 views of this thread, yet nary a comment.

When I get back home, I'm thinking of doing some experimenting with this idea.

Picture this: a thick stack leather wrap (thick as in perhaps 1.5 mm thick, not wide) done in a deep cordovan color. Then finished with polish and so on. After that, stipple it with an appropriately sized nail set, and rub black leather dye, or perhaps black shoe polish into the indentations, followed by rubbing the excess out. And then applying the Proshine over it all.

That thick stack leather (I have it on two of my cues) has a very slightly cushioned feel to it -- and feels great.

If my experiment doesn't turn out well, I'll let you all know. And if it does come out nicely, I'll try to get some decent photos to post up.

Flex

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Sounds like an interesting visual effect, basically embossing I think. However, it would be much easier using sheet leather and applying the effect before the leather was installed on to the cue.
Mr H

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
Flex said:
Wow!

WOW! is right. Your asking if someone has ever thought of banging on a finnished pool cue (tooling, stipling,whatever)? I'll pass.

Now that's something that didn't occur to me, the banging part, that is... I'll have to think this over a bit. :embarrassed2:

However, I'm going to try it on one of my beater cues. I have one that is truly a banged up sneaky, full splice (no A joint or whatever it's called to rattle loose) and it has a small stacked leather wrap on it. Worst thing that can happen is it looks a bit more battered than it is already.

Do you think a full spliced cue can take the gentle rapping that comes with stippling better than a short spliced one?

Flex

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Mr Hoppe said:
Sounds like an interesting visual effect, basically embossing I think. However, it would be much easier using sheet leather and applying the effect before the leather was installed on to the cue.
Mr H

I've seen several like that. Only problem is there's a seam when using sheet leather, and I'd need to have one of those special jigs to do a really nice job. I already experimented several times with trying to install a sheet leather wrap and wasn't pleased with the result. Perhaps if I invested mucho dinero in a jig. Naw, not for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Flex

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those that do not know stipple is an old style of painting walls. Years ago it was done with alkyd based materials and usually in bathrooms for some reason. They now make stipple paint in latex formulas but it does not look as uniform as the old alkyd based formula. You have to use a special stipple roller to apply it and I have not seen it done in quite some time. It produces a uniform bumpy type of texture to a surface and tends to hide imperfections in the wall surface. That is what a stipple finish is, how it would be of use on a pool cue or why you have to ask the original poster!
Dan

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
quedup said:
For those that do not know stipple is an old style of painting walls. Years ago it was done with alkyd based materials and usually in bathrooms for some reason. They now make stipple paint in latex formulas but it does not look as uniform as the old alkyd based formula. You have to use a special stipple roller to apply it and I have not seen it done in quite some time. It produces a uniform bumpy type of texture to a surface and tends to hide imperfections in the wall surface. That is what a stipple finish is, how it would be of use on a pool cue or why you have to ask the original poster!
Dan

The best idea of what I'm looking for, but not the same as my idea above, can be seen in this picture:

B0812_med_3edfb.png

The surface of the basketball is stippled. There are many different forms of stippling, some using tiny spikes similar to a nail point, others like the nail sets in my original post. However, the basketball is pretty close.

Guess I'll just have to try it and see how it comes out.

Flex

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quedup said:
Dan

The term stipple can also apply to a random pattern of small depressions applied to a surface to increase the friction and make the surface easier to grip. This process is similar to knurling or checkering, but is often used on complex curved surfaces, such as anatomical grips, where a regular pattern would not fit. Stippling can be cast into plastic objects, or applied with a hammer and punch to wood or metal objects.

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Flex said:
The best idea of what I'm looking for, but not the same as my idea above, can be seen in this picture:

B0812_med_3edfb.png

The surface of the basketball is stippled. There are many different forms of stippling, some using tiny spikes similar to a nail point, others like the nail sets in my original post. However, the basketball is pretty close.

Guess I'll just have to try it and see how it comes out.

Flex

except the dots on this basketball are the high points. if you plan on making it look like this, set aside 20 hours to stipple. instead of doing the entire handle, how bout a design or your name or initials.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Bigjohn said:
except the dots on this basketball are the high points. if you plan on making it look like this, set aside 20 hours to stipple. instead of doing the entire handle, how bout a design or your name or initials.

20 hours :eek: :shakehead: :yikes:

Are you frickin' serious?

That is some quality time there...

I think what I'll do is attempt it on a small area of the wrap, say something like one inch around and two inches long and see if the overall effect is worth the trouble, and also how long it takes to do it. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to go with a tan/natural background and perhaps a burgundy or cordovan stipple mark.

If it looks "good," as in freakin' spectacular, I might do it. Anything less than awesome won't be worth 20 hours or 10 hours or even 5 or 3 hours...

Flex

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
No go

As promised, here's my assessment.

It looks like a bombed out war zone. Couldn't figure out a way to make it look good; maybe someone else with superior skills can come up with something.

It not only doesn't look good, it feels terrible.

Scratch that one off.

Flex

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex said:
As promised, here's my assessment.

It looks like a bombed out war zone. Couldn't figure out a way to make it look good; maybe someone else with superior skills can come up with something.

It not only doesn't look good, it feels terrible.

Scratch that one off.

Flex

You could possibly use a checkering file for rifle butts or a knurling tool on a lathe.

Dick

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
rhncue said:
You could possibly use a checkering file for rifle butts or a knurling tool on a lathe.

Dick

Thanks for the suggestion. Good ideas!

Flex