Everybody Cores SHAFTS , Yes? đź‘˝

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just buy a McDermott and get it matched with your cue .
Or you can forget about it because it's really not going to help your game.
Only the first 5 inches matter .
ha ha ha ha . I'm not wearing McDermott , hahahahaha :alien:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh Yeah , I hope so. (mcdermott does it, dont they?) :alien:
I just had a look at McDermotts website in case they have launced something new. I can't really see a cored shaft. I see the i series with a carbon fibre core just like Mezz Hybrid Pro II or EX Pro. Is that what your looking at?

Last edited:

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a looks at McDermotts webside in case they have launced something new. I can't really see a corner shaft. I see the i series with a carbon fibre vore just like Mezz Hybrid Pro II or EX Pro. Is that what your looking at?
I'm putting together a new order for Custom Shaft , really nothing over the top , weight and length mostly.
I'd like it to be cored and I'd like to know that it's an OK request.
Maybe get some Purpleheart in there , I would like that..

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm putting together a new order for Custom Shaft , really nothing over the top , weight and length mostly.
I'd like it to be cored and I'd like to know that it's an OK request.
Maybe get some Purpleheart in there , I would like that..
I don't think you will get many takers. A 3/8" gun drill 30" long isn't a common tool...

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 7" deep Hole filled with purpleheart is certainly possible. Still not sure what you think that will accomplish?

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 7" deep Hole filled with purpleheart is certainly possible. Still not sure what you think that will accomplish?
7"inch would be enough , PHeart isnt lively like Maple , It's not crisp like Ebony.
Purpleheart Wood has a heavy slow almost hard impact, feels fresh, dense , as a core wood , I Like It Alot :alien:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7"inch would be enough , PHeart isnt lively like Maple , It's not crisp like Ebony.
Purpleheart Wood has a heavy slow almost hard impact, feels fresh, dense , as a core wood , I Like It Alot :alien:
I think everyone that replies in the cuemaker section is well aware of the characteristics of purpleheart. My question is still the same, why do you think a purpleheart dowel glued in to a shaft will affect feel in any significant way?
Coring is something done to the woods used for the butt of the cue, to controll weight and balance and to be able to use woods that would otherwise not be suited to cue making. How much the different components of the cue affects the whole is something that's been discussed ad nauseam and without any proper consensus, there are many theories out there, but I think you will find that most makers will tell you that a 7 inch dowel at the end of the shaft will have minimal impact on the hit and feel of the shaft. It would be awesome if we could dial in a particular hit by using different wood dowels in the shaft and that the difference in feel would be as easy to tell apart as in your description.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I would do it for you if I wasn't very busy and didn't have the proper gun drill. Good luck finding someone. Don't let the negative nancies get you down, if you want purple heart in your maple shaft, you go for it!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been two places where you would think the shaft is cored.
1st..... A small rod under the ferrule inside the wood.
2nd... An insert of whatever you want inside the joint end. Some Cue makers use to use different woods here when a shaft stripped out before they realised how much stronger phenolic was.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been two places where you would think the shaft is cored.
1st..... A small rod under the ferrule inside the wood.
2nd... An insert of whatever you want inside the joint end. Some Cue makers use to use different woods here when a shaft stripped out before they realised how much stronger phenolic was.
Yeah, there you go, That's what I'm talking about.
Silly or Not , let's face it, we do a lot of crazy things with cues, market wise, business wise, this ain't a bad idea.
What I'm thinking is a 10"inch purpleheart dowel shaped in a telescoping fashion.
I know Kim Bye said 7"inch and that in itself would be tricky, what if we could shape the dowel in increments.
Look, it's just a thought, Seriously.... "Left Handed Cues" (you have to know i'm laughing)
:alien:

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P.S. I'm open for suggestions from anyone
What I would like, is to extend the plug/dowel about 2 1/2" - 3" and add a butt cap.

Last edited: