Everything's bigger in Texas

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently moved to the Great State of Texas, and have been frequenting a local pool hall.

Great place, plenty of quality tables and really close to where I'm staying right now, but the pocket size...wow. I checked them all...same size on all of 'em. Pretty sure they are just a bit over 5".

Also...what is the fascination with the 8 ft table out here?
20+ tables, and all 8' with only three 9'. I'm almost always the only one playing on the 9' tables...

Is it this way anywhere else?

Attachments

• 20211210_130640.jpg
    20211210_130640.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 102

middleofnowhere

Registered
Recently moved to the Great State of Texas, and have been frequenting a local pool hall.

Great place, plenty of quality tables and really close to where I'm staying right now, but the pocket size...wow. I checked them all...same size on all of 'em. Pretty sure they are just a bit over 5".

20+ tables, and all 8' with only three 9'. I'm almost always the only one playing on the 9' tables...

Where did you move from?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part Texas loves 8’ tables and most rooms kinda suck.
Don’t know where you live but Skinny Bob’s in Round Rock has all brand new 9’ Diamonds plus to carom tables. I wish they’d join the 21st century stop smoking. It stinks bad at night.
North of DFW Stixx and Stones has four Diamonds, one has tighter pockets.
North of Houston Bogies and Good Tymes have about six 9’ tables. The big bonus is their nonsmoking.
Bananas in SAT has a few 9’ Diamonds.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, Texas loves oversized 8’s for whatever reason I’d love to hear an explanation for.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't answer the question but speaking of Texas it was one of 12 states I lived in growing up. I had previously lived in Alaska when it became a state in the 50's.

One day in class the teacher said Texas was the largest state in the union. I corrected him and told him Alaska is the largest state in the union. Free advice - don't ever correct a Texas teacher when he is bragging about Texas.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if in a pool room that wants the general public it needs 5 inch pockets on 9 footers.

or 8 foot tables with easy pockets.

you see the average joe wants to see balls go in the pocket and not rattle and stop. he thinks making a ball is the fun of pool.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if in a pool room that wants the general public it needs 5 inch pockets on 9 footers.

or 8 foot tables with easy pockets.

you see the average joe wants to see balls go in the pocket and not rattle and stop. he thinks making a ball is the fun of pool.
I don’t believe that for a second. What the average person wants is to play on good equipment. Buffalo’s in New Orleans bought eight brand new Diamonds with 4 1/4 corners and the Diamond bar boxes are no slouch either. Busiest room in the state and one of the top rooms in the country. Skinny Bob’s also has all brand new Diamonds, they are one of the busiest rooms I’ve seen in Texas.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t believe that for a second. What the average person wants is to play on good equipment. Buffalo’s in New Orleans bought eight brand new Diamonds with 4 1/4 corners and the Diamond bar boxes are no slouch either. Busiest room in the state and one of the top rooms in the country. Skinny Bob’s also has all brand new Diamonds, they are one of the busiest rooms I’ve seen in Texas.

The average pool player wants good equipment, the average bar banger wants to see the pockets go in. Apparently, wherever you're at it must be average bar bangers?

Just a guess.

That being said, the local hall around here had the WORST tables every for decades - yes - decades but, pool has taken off over the last few years so now they have all diamonds. Maybe speak with the owners and get their take/input?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member

Earl moving there soon???? Word is he's playing with a 16mm shaft now... lol

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The vast majority of tables in the vast majority of pool halls in Texas will be 8 footers, so the bad news is you will very rarely find a room with all 9 footers, but the good news is you will very rarely find a room with all 7 footers either lol. Most of the player type rooms will have one or more 9 footers, and the action will typically be centered around this table/s.

tomatoshooter

Filthy casuals.

I know what you mean. I've shot on bar boxes with hugantic pockets and slow-ish cloth. I feel like a god. None of the people I know need a tougher table to separate the men from the boys, we get separated just fine.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last time I was in the H, I hit slick willies- plenty of 9ft. there but I'm sure it varies
here in seattle, most of the tables are in bars, and most of those are 8ft.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a pool room in this day and age cant make it on just table time. so it needs those rec. players that come in and drink and spend money above the table time.

those rooms that get the players that want tight pockets and demanding tables survive until the dedicated owner moves on, then they go under as the profit is only enough for a meager living for the owner.

the room i go to has two sides, one with 9 foot tables that has an afternoon crowd of old men that pay 5 bucks for all day pool.
and the other side has 8 footers that is packed with bangers and drinkers at night.

where do you think they make their money.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

I don't believe the average person knows the difference between good and bad equipment

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
a pool room in this day and age cant make it on just table time. so it needs those rec. players that come in and drink and spend money above the table time.

those rooms that get the players that want tight pockets and demanding tables survive until the dedicated owner moves on, then they go under as the profit is only enough for a meager living for the owner.

the room i go to has two sides, one with 9 foot tables that has an afternoon crowd of old men that pay 5 bucks for all day pool.
and the other side has 8 footers that is packed with bangers and drinkers at night.

where do you think they make their money.
Although the 9' is the game I always want, the 8' is way better than the 7'. Texas sounds like a good place to me. I do love the idea of private "clubs" as a way to solve the problem.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 8' tables in Texas allowed the room owners to get more tables in a Pool Hall then the 9' tables and the 8' tables are cheaper to buy and maintain, they are also closer to what a player would expect to see in a Pool Hall more than just a room full of Valley BB's.

Houston has multiple Pool Hall's with both Gold Crowns and Diamond 9' tables and the BB conversion to Diamonds has taken over so most places now have replaced their Valley's with Diamond BB. There's more Pool Halls on the north side of Houston then in most cities and the south side of town aint far behind.