Eye Pattern Before Shooting

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the extent most people talk about pre-shot routines, I hear and see them talk about how they physically move into a shooting position. I think there is comparatively little talk about a routine for eye movement between the cue ball and object ball prior to the shot.

I have tried a couple of routines for eye movement and none of them have really felt comfortable. I would be interested to hear what people on the forum do and why with regard to eye movement just before a shot.

I am NOT trying to get into a debate on whether to look at the cue ball or object ball last, I am more interested in what you do to get to that point.

Thank You in advance

kollegedave

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Read this one in either Pleasures of Small Motions or Zen Pool.

During practice strokes, when you pull back look at the object ball, when you push forward look at the cue ball. Do this for all practice strokes. When you pull the trigger switch from the Cueball to object ball during follow through.

They are all going to feel unnatural when you are consciously aware of doing it.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

During practice strokes, when you pull back look at the object ball, when you push forward look at the cue ball. Do this for all practice strokes. When you pull the trigger switch from the Cueball to object ball during follow through.

They are all going to feel unnatural when you are consciously aware of doing it.

This is what I do, never read that book though. I feel like it helps solidify two things, finding your target on the object ball, and also helps to ensure you will strike the cue ball where intended. The only time I change this is when I have a really tough bridging position, I'll line up my shot, but focus much more on the cueball.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cue ball cue ball object ball. I look at the cue ball during my 2 warm up strokes. Look at object ball backswing pause ... Forward stroke and follow through. I don't think there is a standard eye pattern.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember once I was golfing with a friend. While we were on the tee box waiting, I asked him, "Hey, when you take your downswing, do you inhale or exhale?" Of course he didn't know. It took him several holes to figure out what I did, and he never really did recover that round. The first couple of holes were VERY entertaining. For all I know, he still screws himself up thinking about it from time to time.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I don't think a set routine is necessary, or wanted, because the layout changes from shot to shot.
Generally, a players eye movement is back and forth, back and forth, until he settles in on the shot picture he feels most comfortable with.
I can picture Alex Pagulayan at the table playing One Pocket. He is very animated, going up and down, side to side, all the while tracking his upcoming shot with his eyes until he's satisfied with what he sees, just before he pulls the trigger. :)

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have good confidence with my stroke, so I don't look at the cue ball much after setting down on a shot. I just make sure that my stroke is in the line of travel I want the cue ball to follow. My final view is on the object ball during my practice stroke to pulling the trigger on the shot. From time to time, if I feel my focus waive, I will reset. My real focus on the stroke is to be sure the ball is moving at the right speed. Too much/little, will take me out of line for the next shot. I sometimes practice setting up and then closing my eyes for the shot. I can pocket most full ball hits this way, and really working on speed. The thinnest cuts are obviously harder to do this way. What I'm getting at with this part of my comment is that once you've visually set for your shot, you dont really need to keep looking at anything. You can even close your eyes, so long as your stroke is true.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... this situation needs some consideration. The old adage, "you can't hit what you can't see" might come into play here. But, I practice, once in a while, shooting with my eyes closed, to build confidence in my stroke.

The SPF folks suggest that you set (look at the shot once again), pause & finish.

There is a book called Quiet Eyes & some clinical work done on FOCUS for better performance.

I try to setup focusing on the object ball at my final set, pull it back slowly to a pause, then stoke the cue.

Good Luck to you in your quest for good play.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I don't think a set routine is necessary, or wanted, because the layout changes from shot to shot.
Generally, a players eye movement is back and forth, back and forth, until he settles in on the shot picture he feels most comfortable with.
I can picture Alex Pagulayan at the table playing One Pocket. He is very animated, going up and down, side to side, all the while tracking his upcoming shot with his eyes until he's satisfied with what he sees, just before he pulls the trigger. :)

I concur with Tramp here. How much focus I put on each ball depends on shot difficulty. When cue ball is on the rail I will focus on cue ball and tip contact point a little harder or the same when bridging over a ball. Easier shots from center table with no interference I will focus on the object ball a little more. I do what feels right, but on my final stroke I stop at the cue ball double checking I am happy with my shot then at the back of back swing I shift my eyes from shot image to the point on the object ball that I want to hit. Until that final forward stroke I am looking more at what I would call the "shot picture" rather than either specific ball then my eyes shift to focus on the object ball contact point at the pause on my back stroke.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple months ago I began focusing on the cue ball more during the shoot, but here is what I do overall.

When getting my shoot line, I will move to behind the object ball to the pocket I am shooting at and get my shoot line.

I will then focus on that spot of the object ball all the way until I am behind the cue ball.

I then "feel my way" along that shot line to address the cue ball with my tip. I say feel because I am still pretty focused on the object ball, but I am definitely aware of the cue ball in my peripheral vision.

I then focus on my aim line and make sure my aim is putting the cue ball toward the object ball where it needs to hit it. Minor adjustments are made, major ones restart the process.

I then take a couple practice strokes focusing from the cue ball through to the object ball.

After final practice stroke I pause at the cue ball, make sure my aim is still go going from cue ball to object ball a couple times with my eyes.

I then focus on the cue ball spot I am hitting as I draw back and stay there as I stroke through the ball and my eyes follow it to the object ball.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
To the extent most people talk about pre-shot routines, I hear and see them talk about how they physically move into a shooting position. I think there is comparatively little talk about a routine for eye movement between the cue ball and object ball prior to the shot.

I have tried a couple of routines for eye movement and none of them have really felt comfortable. I would be interested to hear what people on the forum do and why with regard to eye movement just before a shot.

I am NOT trying to get into a debate on whether to look at the cue ball or object ball last, I am more interested in what you do to get to that point.

Thank You in advance

kollegedave

One thing I've noticed in trying to implement an "eye pattern routine" is that I need a different eye pattern for different stances/shots. For example, I can't use the same eye pattern on a jacked-up-over-a-ball shot that I'd use for an unobstructed shot. And shots off the rail are a completely different pattern.

Some of it is the physical limitations from the arthritis in my neck. But much of it is that different stances result in different head positions...which results in different eye patterns.

All by way of saying that some of the difficulties you might be experiencing are because you're expecting one eye pattern to work for all shots.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually backwards from how the eyes work best with the brain. Eyes should be on the CB ONLY, when moving the cue in warmups. Then the eyes switch to the OB before the forward stroke (when you do this determines which eye pattern you "like" best). There are four exceptions to this rule...the break, a kick, a jump, and a masse' shot. Eyes on CB at strike for these shots. The rest of the time, eyes on OB when striking the CB. Your cue goes where your eyes are looking. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One eye pattern will work well for 90%+ of all shots. I noted the exceptions in my post above. Changing eye patterns for different shots is the worst thing someone can do...at least in terms of creating consistency in your routine.

Scott Lee

All by way of saying that some of the difficulties you might be experiencing are because you're expecting one eye pattern to work for all shots.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with practicing shooting with your eyes closed...assuming you are lined up straight, and have a straight stroke.

There is no book, but there is an article about the Quiet Eye Theory, and the clinical experiment that was done in conjunction with it. It was written by folks at the University of FL, and was published in 1999. Our research into this phenomena is what our PEP training is based on. We find it to be the 2nd most important thing a student can learn...after an accurate and repeatable set up and delivery system for your cuestick.

Scott Lee

Well... this situation needs some consideration. The old adage, "you can't hit what you can't see" might come into play here. But, I practice, once in a while, shooting with my eyes closed, to build confidence in my stroke.

The SPF folks suggest that you set (look at the shot once again), pause & finish.

There is a book called Quiet Eyes & some clinical work done on FOCUS for better performance.

I try to setup focusing on the object ball at my final set, pull it back slowly to a pause, then stoke the cue.

Good Luck to you in your quest for good play.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tramp...I have to disagree with you here. Most pro players have no clue what a consistent eye pattern is, or how much it could improve their game, regardless of how well they already play. The back and forth motion, is an "old school" method, and has been disproven by the Quiet Eye Study, which was completed more than 25 years ago. Making everything in your PSRs consistent (including your PEP) is the quickest path to a more consistent and accurate pool stroke.

Scott Lee

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You broke the thread Scott lol.

Think about the balls like a beautiful naked woman fellas

When she's laying in bed your eyes don't go blitzkrieg and dart everywhere. You scan her with deep intent.....

ADHD eyes ain't good. I'm a very odd duck as many of you know. I'm very diff than most players. Regardless if I fit into a particular prescribed PEP as we're talking about, Scott for one could tell you I at least like to use my eyes in a consistent fashion.

Wether I'm dropping in and eyes to cb and when my hand hits the cloth after about a sec eyes are forever on ob

Or if I'm stroke stroke set tip and eyes to cb then eyes to target, pull back and finish a stroke.

I either do one or the other for my own particular reasons.

Wether or not I eventually choose one or the other is not the main point. The point is that I'm very consistent, that consistency along with others is generally what sets better players apart.

-No ... When this was refinished Tony kept it original and did not put one on it ... This cue originally didn't not have a logo on it.

Consistency is how you get good "wake up outa bed pool"

-best wishes
greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mentioning eye pattern Scott. Have your eyes forgotten which exit sign to get off on when passing through Chattanooga? Surely you haven't forgotten how cold the beer was! Come see us.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tramp...I have to disagree with you here. Most pro players have no clue what a consistent eye pattern is, or how much it could improve their game, regardless of how well they already play. The back and forth motion, is an "old school" method, and has been disproven by the Quiet Eye Study, which was completed more than 25 years ago. Making everything in your PSRs consistent (including your PEP) is the quickest path to a more consistent and accurate pool stroke.

Scott Lee

I bet a lot of what the pros actually do (even though the don't know it) is similar or the same as this quiet eye theory. I will be doing some research into this. Thank You!

kollegedave

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

Scott Lee

Is there something I'm missing here, Scott. I think my first sentence was that a 'routine' wasn't necessary, or desirable. The OP wanted to know if a set routine was advantageous to good pool play.
My alluding to the "Lion" was that he is all over the place when shooting and therefore does not, in all likelihood have a set routine, or pattern.
I may not have been clear enough and will blame it on the medication. :smile: