fargo and the ghost

dendweller

So according to Dr Dave's web site, a player with a fargo rating between 450 and 500 is a c+ rating in an ABCD rating system.

I'm curious if anyone has any input on what ghost that player of that rating should be able to beat the majority of the time.

By ghost I mean, rack up some number of balls, break them, spot any balls made and take ball in hand and try to run out, raise to seven.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So according to Dr Dave's web site, a player with a fargo rating between 450 and 500 is a c+ rating in an ABCD rating system.

I'm curious if anyone has any input on what ghost that player of that rating should be able to beat the majority of the time.

By ghost I mean, rack up some number of balls, break them, spot any balls made and take ball in hand and try to run out, raise to seven.
One way to find where you rank against the ghost is to play "progressive" racks:

- first rack the number of balls you think you might be able to run out
- if you do run out, add a ball for the next rack; if you don't run out, subtract a ball for the next rack
- rinse, repeat

The number of balls you see the most is where you're "even money" against the ghost.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This has been discussed before on the forum. I think the general feeling is that a 640 Fargo is about an even match for the nine ball ghost. I'd guess it takes a 710 Fargo for an even match with the ten ball ghost.

Don't underestimate the ghost. At the BCA Hall of Fame dinner a couple of weeks ago, Billiards Digest Editor in Chief Mike Panozzo proclaimed the ghost to have been the 2020 Player of the Year.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been discussed before on the forum. I think the general feeling is that a 640 Fargo is about an even match for the nine ball ghost. I'd guess it takes a 710 Fargo for an even match with the ten ball ghost.

Don't underestimate the ghost. At the BCA Hall of Fame dinner a couple of weeks ago, Billiards Digest Editor in Chief Mike Panozzo proclaimed the ghost to have been the 2020 Player of the Year.
Almost everything has been discussed before😉

For new members and those of us with CRS , fresh content 😃😀😄😁😉

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The problem with all handicap system is the folks who know how to hide speed, get low handicaps, clean out few event until busted. Then they more on to next town.

Remember this happening frequently in Arizona, sandbagger,s fooled people giving out rating cards.

It like shoplifters, about the time loss prevention stop one new idea, sticky finger folk figure out new way to steal , and not get caught.

pw98

Registered

4 ball ghost.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with all handicap system is the folks who know how to hide speed, get low handicaps, clean out few event until busted. Then they more on to next town.

Remember this happening frequently in Arizona, sandbagger,s fooled people giving out rating cards.

It like shoplifters, about the time loss prevention stop one new idea, sticky finger folk figure out new way to steal , and not get caught.
Why can't I ever get the ghost to sandbag me???

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I still don’t understand the concept of this ghost thing. Might take a few minutes to look again now. Give it another chance. It’s the ball in hand that gets me confused. And if I remember correctly no safes. That’s like 2/3 of the game gone. If all I needed to be a 710 is to run 10 balls 7 of 13 times with ball in hand. I would have been on the pro tour back when I played more.

tomatoshooter

I still don’t understand the concept of this ghost thing. Might take a few minutes to look again now. Give it another chance. It’s the ball in hand that gets me confused. And if I remember correctly no safes. That’s like 2/3 of the game gone. If all I needed to be a 710 is to run 10 balls 7 of 13 times with ball in hand. I would have been on the pro tour back when I played more.
It seems like an excellent way to measure part of the game. I guess there's no good way to measure a safety against the ghost. Maybe breaks are too random so you start with ball in hand. I think it's a valid measurement of the ability to run balls in rotation but may be lacking as a predictor of actual match performance.