Ferrule - what material is closest to Ivory

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the look of a Ivory ferrule , it stays cleaner and that creamer color looks cool as it ages. Problem is Ivory is 2 high price wise. What material would be the next to ivory, that would give a similar look and also stay cleaner. Thanks.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elforyn and Elforyn Super Tusk.
Ah-ha I will have to see those. Never heard of them. My oldest Som is having a custom sneaky Pete built from a old 1960’s Brunswick house cue. He wanted a ferrule that would be close to ivory. The cue builder suggested Corian. Just wanted to get some opinions on here. Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah-ha I will have to see those. Never heard of them. My oldest Som is having a custom sneaky Pete built from a old 1960’s Brunswick house cue. He wanted a ferrule that would be close to ivory. The cue builder suggested Corian. Just wanted to get some opinions on here. Thanks
SuperTusk looks exactly like ivory. Has the grain lines just like the real deal.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SuperTusk looks exactly like ivory. Has the grain lines just like the real deal.
Sweet. I will see if he can get that. I never seen corian as a ferrule. I play Guitar and gave done setups on them for people and I have seen corian used for nuts and saddles. But not ferrules. Linen fiber and juma and ivory on vintage cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweet. I will see if he can get that. I never seen corian as a ferrule. I play Guitar and gave done setups on them for people and I have seen corian used for nuts and saddles. But not ferrules. Linen fiber and juma and ivory on vintage cues.
Juma is good if you like a tad softer hit. Elforyn is really close to ivory. Not the same but damn close.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corian would have a harder hit, but has proven to be pretty brittle when I tried it many years ago.
If you are after the look of Ivory instead of the hit of ivory Elforyn is a good choice.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Warther's (used to the THE SPOT for ivory,and still is if you'll accept mammoth ivory,) has what he calls "drawer pulls" which are solid BONE ferrules,100% legal,plentiful,and cheap. Guitar companies like Martin use it for nuts and saddles,so unless it has durability issues from breaking with it,it should be an acceptable material.

These things are oversize and about 6.00 a piece here.

Back years ago,I did replacements on 2 old Joss West shafts that had ivory ferrules that were cracked from drying out in the case,and replaced them with these. Fortunately,they were screwed on with the 5/16-18 method,and the bone blanks were easily drilled/tapped. The stuff sure cut nice with HSS,and looked great,but I haven't had contact with that customer yet to get a report on playability/durability.

Hope I can help somehow,and good luck with whatever you do,please post back when you do decide (y). Tommy D.