Fight at pool bar in Dallas

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's considered a "wild fight"?
That's considered a "cat fight" in Birmingham. lol

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Works for me…. From The High Road forum

We seemed to have a number of recent threads and stories with a somewhat common theme. Someone gets slighted or bothered in public by another person and they feel the need to do or say something about it. From something overt like cutting in line at a Black Friday sale to just walking behind someone. Even playing music at a gas station. In each instance the person who got bothered or uncomfortable either felt like doing and saying something, or actually went ahead in did it. In one case, telling some kids to turn their music down ended in a shooting.

I think some of us are losing sight of the value of just walking away. There are two aspects to this. The tactical advisability of confrontation, and whether it's "right".

The tactical standpoint should be pretty straightforward. When you confront someone, you are introducing a possible flash point to an already unstable situation. You never know if those kids in the car, that obnoxious guy at the bar, those guys on the trail are violent felons, off duty cops, drug addicts, or just normal people who might act out when scared. Confrontation breeds confrontations. The "alpha male" aspect of someone's mind might act up and that guy you're just telling to back off cause he almost spilled your drink might just feel the need to punch you in the face because he's drunk and needs to feel like he's in charge. In the case of the line cutting last week, the line cutter actually did turn around and punch a guy. And then a weapon was produced and what could have been 2 minutes of a man just feeling pissed off turned into an entire self-defense legal ordeal. Over feeling offended.

The bottom line is, unless someone is directly threatening you, another person, or your property, just swallowing your anger and indignation and walking away is the best option in probably 99%+ cases.

The second aspect is whether or not it's "right". As in, do you actually have the right to ask something, or worse, try to "tell them". In some cases yes, in other cases no. Don't forget, you DO NOT have the right not to be offended. When you leave your property and enter the public, you become equal to every other citizen out there. Your desires, feelings, likes and dislikes, sense of honor, etc all are exactly equal to someone else's. If they make you uncomfortable...so what. They have the right to do so. If some stranger is doing something completely legal, non-threatening, and non-destructive; I'm sorry but you just don't really have the right to approach them and try to push your standard of behavior on them. You feel music should be listened to at one volume, they feel it should be at another. Who's right? In public, you both are. As long as it's legal. If I walk somewhere and you feel I'm "too close" or being behind you makes your comfortable...sorry but I have the right to walk where I want in public. Just like you do.

What can you do when someone does something in public you just don't like? Maybe he's standing too close, or listening to loud music, or he just looks funny. How about go somewhere else? That's usually the best bet. If you can't or don't want to do that, your only other option is to ask. And that means explicitly putting it in the form of a yes/no question. Meaning they do indeed have the right to tell you "no".

"Hey buddy, could you be so kind as to stand a little bit farther away?"
"Sure man" OR "No, I don't feel like it"

He has the the right to do what he wants in public. You may not like it, but he still does. Part of being an adult in public means learning to accept that there are times when other people enjoying their rights might make you feel uncomfortable. Just as your rights might make them uncomfortable. Your standard of behavior, your idea of "this is how people should act" can NOT be enforced on others.

If you try to "tell" them, it can end far far worse.

"Hey buddy, back off. You're standing too close"
"Make me"

Now what? How exactly do you enforce that? Push him? Punch him? Put your hand on your gun and say "you know, doing something like that is a good way to get a gun pulled on you"
Congratulations, you've now just lost all moral high ground and committed a crime. Now in addition to earning some very appropriate legal consequences for assaulting another citizen because "you felt uncomfortable", you now have the very real possibility he might respond to your force with force of his own. Now what?

How about instead of all of that, you pick up your drink, or get in your car, or sling your backpack...and just walk away. Your feelings are not worth getting hurt or hurting someone else over. Ever.
I think stoicism is a concept that should be taught in schools or at least a subject any individual with a lick of common sense should google and read a few pages.

You must be in control your emotions, if you are controlled by your emotions you easily manipulated. If you are in control of the space between your ears, and can gently teach those you surround yourself with to learn to do the same, life gets way better in every aspect. This is also why you have to sometimes cut toxic people out of your life, they will train you to get the same "fix" they are getting. Ever wonder why the crazy ones never have problems getting with a guy? Make up sex is universally regarded as great, well I'm sure when you're adding a dozen different chemicals in your body it's a novel experience. Sure she keyed your car, but damn!

Fortunately pool is a perfect medium to learn and incorporate stoicism. Generally speaking, if you let emotions run wild while playing, you're not as good as you could be. Emotions release all kinds of chemicals into your body, pool is hard enough, who wants to get a neuroscience cocktail flowing through your body to add to the problem? The crazy part, these naturally produced chemicals are every bit as addictive as the hard stuff. People talk crap about chemical players, but chances are if you get emotional at the table, so are you.

Walking away is severely under rated. If you are a free individual you don't have to choose to engage the crazy.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Mostly because a thug named George Floyd got killed by a police officer. That pretty much started the "defund the police" movement with BLM and Antifa. Because of that, police are handcuffed, and criminals and street thugs can do what they want, knowing the liberal systems in which they operate will let them off. It's not too hard to understand. It's not politically correct to crack down on thugs.
Agree, and not talking this particular event, but if the police had policed themselves none of this would have happened. It's not called this, but the current predicament is a revolutionary action in every sense. They are throwing off the shackles of a violent and militarized police state, the oppressors. It never had to happen, all the cops had to do was throw out the bad apples and not try to play judge, jury, and executioner. Most cops are good, but if you don't take action against the bad ones, they're no better. They are an accessory to the crime at best. I respect cops and would not want their job, but taking out whatever aggression (including ptsd related from the job) on citizens/civilians isn't productive for a just society. Can you truly have life, liberty, and happiness if some armed thug wants to rough you up because they had a fight with their wife before their shift? Can you be a free individual if ol' Benny in blue can fill you full of lead for any perceived infraction and walk away a free man? We're treated as violent prisoners by these bad apples.

I have a cousin who is a cop. Good dude who really has a soft spot for helping people. I've never had much interaction with cops, but I have had one violently shaking with his hand on his gun when he pulled me over for a 15 mph speeding ticket. I pulled over in a timely manner, shut the car off, rolled the windows down and kept my hands on the wheel. The crazy part, he had his partner on the other side of the car too. The guy wasn't alone, but he acted as if he had just pulled over someone wanted for murder who had led them on a high speed chase. Absolutely nuts.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think stoicism is a concept that should be taught in schools or at least a subject any individual with a lick of common sense should google and read a few pages.

You must be in control your emotions, if you are controlled by your emotions you easily manipulated. If you are in control of the space between your ears, and can gently teach those you surround yourself with to learn to do the same, life gets way better in every aspect. This is also why you have to sometimes cut toxic people out of your life, they will train you to get the same "fix" they are getting. Ever wonder why the crazy ones never have problems getting with a guy? Make up sex is universally regarded as great, well I'm sure when you're adding a dozen different chemicals in your body it's a novel experience. Sure she keyed your car, but damn!

Fortunately pool is a perfect medium to learn and incorporate stoicism. Generally speaking, if you let emotions run wild while playing, you're not as good as you could be. Emotions release all kinds of chemicals into your body, pool is hard enough, who wants to get a neuroscience cocktail flowing through your body to add to the problem? The crazy part, these naturally produced chemicals are every bit as addictive as the hard stuff. People talk crap about chemical players, but chances are if you get emotional at the table, so are you.

Walking away is severely under rated. If you are a free individual you don't have to choose to engage the crazy.
The best advice I ever got in the poolroom was, "Just because someone is being an asshole doesn't mean you have to be one too!"

That little biach in red needs a good pounding. What a punk. I've seen two chicks fight better than this.
It's 2021...why are we still saying, "i've seen two chicks fight better than this"....in case you're unaware, there is a women's division in the UFC...of course women can "fight better than that"... stupid fight, stupid reason to fight. they're never gonna see your comment, unnecessary comparison

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's 2021...why are we still saying, "i've seen two chicks fight better than this"....in case you're unaware, there is a women's division in the UFC...of course women can "fight better than that"... stupid fight, stupid reason to fight. they're never gonna see your comment, unnecessary comparison
I do know that but thanks for being my compass of what should/shouldn't be said. On an OPEN FORUM. I'll say it again,i've seen two chicks fight better than this. In a bar, not the ring.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much point in conversing with idiots that believe misogyny is a big word.

I'll just point out that some of the worst insults men throw at one another is calling them something that relates to a woman. That doesnt come from a place that honors and respects women.
I’m sorry but that’s an absolute crock of shit.

The only way you could possibly believe that, is if you believe that there are no physical or emotional differences between men and women.

Anyone who recognizes that there are such differences, also understands that some male traits are decidedly unfeminine, and some female traits are decidedly unmanly… and may I add, thank goodness for that.

The fact that some of us revel in our own masculinity or femininity in no way means that we dislike or disrespect the other gender. More often than not exactly the opposite!

So yeah, grow a pair…or not. Ultimately it doesn’t affect me one way or another, but the real ladies out there might appreciate it if you did… ;)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was at Big Tyme a few weeks back in the bar table event I was in a match.
I asked my opponent nicely to stop swingin' his cue butt while I was shooting THEN....EVERY thing changed.
He was a stud/30 yr old, dressed to the 10's and either on Steroids or??
It go soo bad I had to get the TD involved.
I buckled down, beat this kid and then he threated me, enough that I was VERY concerned.
Never had this happen in a large event.
He actually started complaining about my Visor and My pool glasses.
He followed me around in the pool room, even into the bathroom.
I told the owners.
Every time he saw me....and he was doggin me at times, coming and going he would call me names, like in elementary school.
He wan't to pick a fight with me, but I just ignored his actions.
I'm finding the Demographics of the pool room now-a-daze not quite the same/safe as during the 60"s 70's 80's and 90's.

He drank a Pitcher of ice water during our match, 64oz.

I bet he had sparkly things on his pants also. Typical modern day d'bag. The problem is, they're so insecure they won't stop until they're the "big man" in the room.

Cuedup

"Masculinity" is a social construct that changes over time.

Yes, there are differences between the genders. Of course. Explain how insulting men by calling them women, or less than women, is respectful to women.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the not too distant past, I could get gas for a dollar a gallon. However, gas is starting to rise again and I don’t see it dropping in the foreseeable future. The point is this - WHY is crime rising? Until we get to the root cause, nothing will be done about it. And if it’s politically incorrect to do something about it, I guarantee nothing will be done about rising crime rates. Please, no one raise their eyebrow, you know what I’m talking about.

Parenting.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Masculinity" is a social construct that changes over time.

Yes, there are differences between the genders. Of course. Explain how insulting men by calling them women, or less than women, is respectful to women.
It’s neither intended to be respectful nor disrespectful towards women.

It’s intended to be disrespectful towards the man at which it was directed.

By the way, those that want to change the “social construct“ of masculinity, tend to not be very masculine. Just sayin’, sweetheart… 😁

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought gas at $0.17/gal when I was a sr. in High School
$1.xx when Clinton left office

Crime is rising because of tension within our society, causing both sides to come to the conclusion that the other side is not worthy of {listening to, living, getting benefits, being free,..war on drugs,,,abortion,,,immigration,,,homeless,,,military conflicts,,,this,,,that,,,the other thing too...}. It has gotten to the point the 80th%-ile person just puts their heads down and quits listening and watching and most importantly, quits caring. Cell phones enable this means of relief.

How do we solve this:: by voting both sides out of office--3-4 votes in a row. Anyone who holds office needs to leave--even the perceived "good ones".

Or we start with raising our children correctly so they don't grow up to be the people we're complaining about? It's too late for certain generations, the hate is already created. The children of today, whether they lean left or right, will run the country in the future. Some of them may grow out of it but the vast majority of them will not. Given the recent political theater and the damage it has caused to our Nation it will take decades and multiple generations to right the ship and I seriously doubt that it will happen in my time, I'm 51.

Cuedup

It’s neither intended to be respectful nor disrespectful towards women.

It’s intended to be disrespectful towards the man at which it was directed.

By the way, those that want to change the “social construct“ of masculinity, tend to not be very masculine. Just sayin’, sweetheart… 😁
Well Princess, its not that people actively set out to change the term masculinity, it just happens as the culture changes.

For instance, doing the hands on care for ones young children used to be seen as strictly a feminine thing to do. As women entered the workforce, divorce became more common and the dynamics of the modern family changed, seeing a dad out grocery shopping with his younguns, at the PTA meetings or sitting in the pediatricians office all hit a bit differently than it did all those decades ago.