cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that’s some clean equipment. 😌

IMG_0205.png

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don‘t see any pencil lines (or foot/head spots either). I’m envious then of those gutsy ‘euro‘ playing conditions. Sure likely makes the game more interesting if you have to gamble/guess about breakshot position (probably why the opening run shooter managed the break off the headspot so naturally…’practice’). I hope he gets to V.B. in the fall (a whiz, but then, I only watched half the match so far).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, the scoring was correct for the number of balls put on the table. Unfortunately, the ref goofed. With Ponders ahead 91-7, Laaksonen scratched on a break shot on which he pocketed 3 balls. The ref spotted only 2 of the 3 (apparently not noticing the 8-ball). So 13 balls were potted in that rack (3 for Ponders then 10 for Laaksonen) rather than 14.

And it looked like Ponders took a timeout when it was Laaksonen's inning (he was on a run of 52 at the time). I think that should be prohibited (other than for "emergencies").

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Here's a video of the finals.

Many of the usual suspects were missing from the Championships due to the conflicting UK Open.
Thx Bob.... started watching the beginning, one thing stuck out, not being negative but comparing him to Lassiter is my thinking.
Like Bob, we have watched many 14.1 matches during the 60's-70's. In general this young man has too much cue ball movement, and needs to slow it down just a notch and that would tighten up his pattern play.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Well I watched it in bites, after my above comment.
His speed of play ''got in the way''.

eekster24

Registered
Yannick is a awesome player.... and his speed and risk will change... he's only 18 years old. His game is yet to mature.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Never said he wasn't.
I think he played better than Varner and I did in the Midwest Collegiate 14.1 finals.
But when we were the same age we cut our teeth on watchin'/playing.... Butera, Crane, Balsis, Lassiter, Al Coslosky, Rempe, etc.
But he'd of hand is hands full when were 19 playing roll out 9 ball.
I know nicky did :).

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Not to take anything away from these guys, and I'm sure they are playing the table, but this table played far easier than the 8 foot tables I play straight pool league on. I saw so many balls drop that would have definitely hung on the tables I play on. Of course their patterns are so much better.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a video of the finals.

Many of the usual suspects were missing from the Championships due to the conflicting UK Open.
A real shame this event had to conflict with another major Euro tournament. You’d think better planning could have avoided this.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A real shame this event had to conflict with another major Euro tournament. You’d think better planning could have avoided this.
As far as I can tell, the EPBF dates for the 2023 European Championship were announced by April 19, 2022 and listed on the EPBF website.

The dates for the UK Open, 2023 -- the conflicting event -- were announced in a press release on October 21, 2022. Presumably Matchroom's major considerations were their own ranking event schedule, the availability of the venue (Copper Box) and the broadcast schedule.

I think Matchroom announced their break from the WPA in December, 2022. Until then, Matchroom was listing WPA sanctioning as an event requirement.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I can tell, the EPBF dates for the 2023 European Championship were announced by April 19, 2022 and listed on the EPBF website.

The dates for the UK Open, 2023 -- the conflicting event -- were announced in a press release on October 21, 2022. Presumably Matchroom's major considerations were their own ranking event schedule, the availability of the venue (Copper Box) and the broadcast schedule.

I think Matchroom announced their break from the WPA in December, 2022. Until then, Matchroom was listing WPA sanctioning as an event requirement.
Not surprising and unfortunate (from the players and fans perspective) that Matchroom exhibits an attitude of superiority to all the other tours in not attempting to take in to consideration the scheduling of their events around other conflicting events that have already been scheduled by other tours.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not surprising and unfortunate (from the players and fans perspective) that Matchroom exhibits an attitude of superiority to all the other tours in not attempting to take in to consideration the scheduling of their events around other conflicting events that have already been scheduled by other tours.
That's ridiculous. It's an outdated idea made impractical by the size of the world pool calendar. The WPA chose not to reconcile with Matchroom and the result is that there is and will be no opportunity to use the sanctioning and date protection methods of yesteryear that were becoming outdated even before the break with Matchroom.

No tour should pay much attention to any other tour unless its players demand it, and that's not happening to this point. This is the kind of free competition that will deliver pool from its doldrums. Each tour must decide whether it is good business to schedule over or around other events.

Your views are certainly idealistic, even admirable, but not at all practical.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
That's ridiculous. It's an outdated idea made impractical by the size of the world pool calendar. The WPA chose not to reconcile with Matchroom and the result is that there is and will be no opportunity to use the sanctioning and date protection methods of yesteryear that were becoming outdated even before the break with Matchroom.

No tour should pay much attention to any other tour unless its players demand it, and that's not happening to this point. This is the kind of free competition that will deliver pool from its doldrums. Each tour must decide whether it is good business to schedule over or around other events.

Agree. If we envision a perfect outcome, let’s imagine Matchroom is tremendously successful and manages to grow to a point where they have a major ranking event every other week (full production, 60-100k first prize). In order for that to happen, they will inevitably steam roll the competition. Giving players the opportunity to pick and choose when and where they play can only be a good thing.

• Love
Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agree. If we envision a perfect outcome, let’s imagine Matchroom is tremendously successful and manages to grow to a point where they have a major ranking event every other week (full production, 60-100k first prize). In order for that to happen, they will inevitably steam roll the competition. Giving players the opportunity to pick and choose when and where they play can only be a good thing.
Well said.

It's equally true that if any event producer other than Matchroom enjoys substantial growth, the scheduling issues might become even more complicated, but in the end, the more events there are, the better it is for the players who try to make a living at professional pool.

Professional pool has room for multiple event producers to enjoy growth and financial sustainability.

Matt_H

Not including the Mosconi Cup and Juniors, MR were afiliated with over 40 events scheduled for this calendar year, granted in various continents. I absolutely agree with you and there was always going to be toes trodden on.

I still cant decide if Miss Fraser loves pool or the lifestyle that comes with her position. But if nineball thrives and keeps her in Balenciagas then we all win.

Reactions: sjm