Finish lifting

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After I finished this cue I faced it off to give it a flat face so the shaft would sit flush and the finish lifted. It's a CA finish. Is there a semi quick fix to this other than stripping off a bunch of finish and doing it over.

Attachments

• 20200415_163041_HDR.jpg
    20200415_163041_HDR.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 511

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a simple do over :) make sure your tool is sharp when facing off.

Mario

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
use an epoxy base coat...... don't sand with anything finer than 220 before applying the epoxy..............

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Show the bit you used to face that off .
Joey~Can't believe peeps are not asking for it ~

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
to strip off the finish, use the edge of a razor blade or similar sharp edge and start with the lifted edge and catch under the finish edge and peel upward. It should lift up and chip off. This also will show you where it has good adhesion and where it didn't

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unnecessary.

Mario

If your gonna put down someone's method or opinion than what's yours. No need to be like that. This ask the cue maker section is to learn. Not to say who's methods are wrong because its not how you do it.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Joey it's a indexing cutter with insert.

Not sharp enough.
Face off before applying finish.
Use fresh razor blade ( not utility ) to cut off excess finish.
Sharpest ones are from Home Depot.
Don't bother with Horrible Freight kind.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your gonna put down someone's method or opinion than what's yours. No need to be like that. This ask the cue maker section is to learn. Not to say who's methods are wrong because its not how you do it.

You are right, I should let you find out on your own. :)

Mario

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey it's a indexing cutter with insert.

Not all inserts are the same. If your using a typical insert meant for cutting steel, brass etc. It`s gonna bequite dull, you need sharp HSS or inserts made for cutting aluminum and plastics.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I had this problem years ago.

Dont use a sharp carbide tool. I had a carbide tool and kept it sharp with a green wheel. Great for turning but causes finish lifting when facing after finish applied.

The answer is to use a tin coated HSS insert tool with a slight radius end. I think mine are .002 radius.

Problem will go away. I promise.

Rick