Finish on Little Al Romero cues

Foolio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main playing cue is a sneaky pete from Little Al Romero. I have a question about the cue finish and hoping someone can help me out. I’ve asked Al about his finish, and he’s mentioned that it’s just lacquer.

I’ve seen other of his cues here on AZ and people have mentioned hand rubbed finish, as well as satin finish.

What would you normally call this kind of finish? I really like the way it feels in my hand. Are there any negatives to having this kind of finish? Is there some special maintenance I should do? It seems that the wood is pretty exposed.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Gunstock finish,commonly done with Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil,is also used on guitar necks.

It can get sticky in hot/humid areas,and although I've never had it happen,but the stuff can go rancid and smell bad like a butcher block or cutting board.

Tru-Oil may be hard to find these days,I know I got the last 2 bottles my Wal Mart had on clearance.

If you can find it,a little dab on a rag and wipe until you like it,then take a dry rag and rub it in good after it air dries.

Denatured alcohol will take it off if you over do it. Tommy D.

T411

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The positive is… that’s why it’s called a Sneaky Pete. It would not be a Sneaky Pete with an automotive clear coat.