First and/or last cue a maker built

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have in their collection a first cue (or at least the first cue known) and/or the last cue from a builder?

The cue I got just a few months ago may be the last custom cue the builder will do, outside of some ones he feels like building for himself, and got me thinking if people on here had any specific 1st or last cues that come out of a shop. Maybe even say the last cue a specific person made if the shop was passed on to another person but carried on the same name.

Reactions: Pin

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the first and last cue I ever built - does that count? :)

Actually, I'm looking forward to real responses here.

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the last Bobcue by the late Bob Renis.

Pix will follow.

Attachments

• 20220410_195946.jpg
    20220410_195946.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220410_195957.jpg
    20220410_195957.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220410_200011.jpg
    20220410_200011.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 55

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first cue all too often is not the cue maker’s best work.
It’s been that way with all the great names in cue making.

The last cue might have some nostalgic attachment for
someone but that cue is likely not the cue maker’s best work.

It always comes down to this. A cue is only worth what someone
else is willing to pay and beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Nostalgia doesn’t increase the value of the cue except to someone
that admires the cue maker because supply and demand dictates $.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Anyone have in their collection a first cue (or at least the first cue known) and/or the last cue from a builder?

The cue I got just a few months ago may be the last custom cue the builder will do, outside of some ones he feels like building for himself, and got me thinking if people on here had any specific 1st or last cues that come out of a shop. Maybe even say the last cue a specific person made if the shop was passed on to another person but carried on the same name.

I had Burton Spain's final cue, sold it to a friend with an impressive Spain collection and it belonged there

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the 3rd cue Barry built start to finish on his own. It’s a matte finish hoppy. He told me, didn’t ask but told me “never sell that cue”. Funny, thing I was thinking the same thing. For me that’s about strong as it gets.

Fatboy<———lucky, what can I say…..

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Burton Spain's final cue, sold it to a friend with an impressive Spain collection and it belonged there
That’s a great thing to do. I really respect that!

I was talking with Denny Glenn at dinner Sunday night, his family has the greatest collection of cues there is. It’s so strong that he has the history and chain of custody of so many great players cues. I have a few, nothing compared to him-it’s not about that.

We were talking about preserving our sports history and what is known is very little in the grand scheme of things. I have some amazing Bushka’s and Szam’s and no clue who owned them. And like Mr Flenn said “Heorge wasn’t building cues for everyone, players came first”.

I have a couple cues with no proof other than my word where they came from and I’d never make up a story to sell a cue for more. None of the “known” cues will be sold anyways. Merging the collections together would be super strong.

To me the history out weighs the money. I’m lucky to be in that spot.

Best
Fatboy

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That’s a great thing to do. I really respect that!

I was talking with Denny Glenn at dinner Sunday night, his family has the greatest collection of cues there is. It’s so strong that he has the history and chain of custody of so many great players cues. I have a few, nothing compared to him-it’s not about that.

We were talking about preserving our sports history and what is known is very little in the grand scheme of things. I have some amazing Bushka’s and Szam’s and no clue who owned them. And like Mr Flenn said “Heorge wasn’t building cues for everyone, players came first”.

I have a couple cues with no proof other than my word where they came from and I’d never make up a story to sell a cue for more. None of the “known” cues will be sold anyways. Merging the collections together would be super strong.

To me the history out weighs the money. I’m lucky to be in that spot.

Best
Fatboy

I can second that fact. There was a counterman in Rochester NY at the room that Sigel came up through, named Sam.

Sam could get cues for people from George, but no custom orders, and only if the guy was a respectable player in the room. If he wanted a cue, he told Sam. Sam picked one up from downstate and brought it in, COD without negotiating.

Players had them all over the city, then they disappeared to eBay 20 years ago

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the last Bobcue by the late Bob Renis.

Pix will follow.

Nice, pics would be great to see, for all of these. I figured the folks that post here would have some notable firsts/lasts.

I had a first leather wrap cue that a local N.E. maker called Pete Campbell made, it was a pretty low numbered cue from him, but it was stolen at a bar from my wife along with her cue.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Spain EOL cue, #9 if I remember correctly. I did not regret selling it but in retrospect might have held on to it.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was told that my Dishaw was one of the first cues that Dan built to sell. Haven't talked to Dan in a while but I do remember he made two or three offers to buy it back from me. The cue was made in '93 and I've owned it since '94 or '95.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My last two cues from Bob Owen and Jerry Rauenzahn arrived Memorial Day weekend 2016.
The California law took effect 5 weeks later. Don’t know how many more cues they completed
after mine but even if mine were the last ivory cues, and I’m pretty sure they’re weren’t, there
isn’t anything special about them other than neither cue maker makes cues with ivory anymore.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Burton Spain's last cue, wow....... just to see one is so cool, let alone own one, let alone the last one.
Great note on history,