First ever 155 break in snooker to be captured on video!

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thepchaiya Uh-Nooh made what is believed to be the first 155 maximum break ever captured on video yesterday:

Pro player Jamie Cope is also said to have made one in practice* and no-one has ever made one in an official match (although breaks over 147 have been made).

For those not familiar with the quirky rules of snooker, this is possible if a player gets a 'free ball' which allows you to nominate any ball as your next legal shot.

Typically (but not always) this happens when there's still reds on the table, so an example would be when a player fouls and leaves their opponent behind the yellow. If the player who's turn it now is can't see both sides of a red they are awarded a free ball and nominate a colour as a red (so here they may nominate the yellow as a red), they then would pot a colour as their next shot and carry on as normal.

Whilst a free ball isn't uncommon, a free ball so early on in the game (i.e. with all 15 reds on the table) is very uncommon for obvious reasons, so this is a little bit of history (albeit not official)!

*Practice meaning a non-official match against another player, not a line-up!

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shootin’ but it isn’t the first one. Jimmy White made a 155 a couple of years ago. It should be on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shootin’ but it isn’t the first one. Jimmy White made a 155 a couple of years ago. It should be on YouTube

Are you sure you mean Jimmy White and not Jamie Cope? All snooker aficionados acknowledge he was the pro who (apparently) has made one, but that wasn't on camera. I've never heard of Jimmy Claiming to have made one before.

That said Alex Higgins also claimed to have back in the 1980's...not sure anyone took it too seriously!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Isn't it actually a 18 black clearance? 15 black and reds + 2 blacks (one as the free red) + the final black = 18 ... just being picky :)
Right you are! (y) A 155 clearance is normally only 17 blacks but this one started with a black. Errr, red. No, it was black. No .... This is so confusing.o_O

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Right you are! (y) A 155 clearance is normally only 17 blacks but this one started with a black. Errr, red. No, it was black. No .... This is so confusing.o_O
"...and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you mean Jimmy White and not Jamie Cope? All snooker aficionados acknowledge he was the pro who (apparently) has made one, but that wasn't on camera. I've never heard of Jimmy Claiming to have made one before.

That said Alex Higgins also claimed to have back in the 1980's...not sure anyone took it too seriously!!

If you search “Jimmy White 155” on YouTube the video comes up but apparently it was recorded for Jimmy’s tutorial DVD. And it’s not continuous shooting so looks a bit suspect to me. I take back what I said

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"...and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

A great line. Always made me chuckle. RIP Ted Lowe aka Whispering Ted

Reactions: Pin

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While we are at it, my favourite line of Ted Lowe is this:

“Fred Davis, now age 64, is too old to get his leg over, so prefers to use his left hand.”

I believe he said this, absolutely innocently, while doing commentary on the semi-finals match of the 1978 World Championship between Fred Davis (Joe Davis’s brother) and Perrie Mans.

• Haha
Reactions: Pin

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused. How did he legally shoot the 7 ball twice in a row to start the run?

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm confused. How did he legally shoot the 7 ball twice in a row to start the run?
The rules say that if you're hooked on the all reds after a foul, you can pick another ball and pretend it's red.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rules say that if you're hooked on the all reds after a foul, you can pick another ball and pretend it's red.
Thanks. I played exclusive snooker when I was a kid because the only place I was allowed to enter only had snooker tables but we didn't play snooker quite like it's intended to be played. We blasted the rack open and then alternated between red and other colors. We "cheated" a little but still it teaches you how to shoot straight.

I used to look through the screen door on a bar next to where my trailer was parked and watch men play on a bar box. I couldn't believe they were missing balls on that small table with those big pockets - and they were gambling.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Eddie Charlton used to hold a record for a break over consecutive racks, 250-something points, I think. After clearing the table in one frame, he broke the next, in the way you described, made a red, and ran out the table again. I don't know whether his record still stands, I kind of hope it does :)