Flat spotted measles balls

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to Bill Smith, Mr 3 cushion here and he mentioned that the measles billiard balls in the local pool room all had flat spots. I was there today and indeed, every spot on the white and yellow ball was either flat or had shrunk more than the rest of the ball. With the spot at the bottom of the ball, a gentle touch would make the ball move but it would rock back and leave the balls frozen. I couldn't feel it or see it on the ball but the behavior of both balls was the same. Does this happen to cue balls as well?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to Bill Smith, Mr 3 cushion here and he mentioned that the measles billiard balls in the local pool room all had flat spots. I was there today and indeed, every spot on the white and yellow ball was either flat or had shrunk more than the rest of the ball. With the spot at the bottom of the ball, a gentle touch would make the ball move but it would rock back and leave the balls frozen. I couldn't feel it or see it on the ball but the behavior of both balls was the same. Does this happen to cue balls as well?
I have seen this at more than one of the 3c halls in my area, but not with pool balls.
It must be a result of repeated trips through the polisher, the 3c balls run through it every hour or 2 of play and the pool balls are NEVER cleaned, as far as i can tell.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
You sure it's not dimples in the cloth? I've played on verhoevens that the ball will wiggle while settling all over the table not in just one spot

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
How would the cleaner the spins ball's, make flat marks

Do you have pics? I'm interested to see, I've sold both my measle sets so I couldnt even examine mine

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

There was a video 3 or 4 years ago that showed carom balls settling on the flat spots...
....in SloMo.....the video got pulled.

At our room, we had several measle cue balls do the same thing.

I think the measle idea has been a failure....they just don't wear well.

In carom balls, I would only buy the red, yellow, and white....NO markings.
In pool, the red circle wears well....it gets smaller with age...but it stays round.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
same pt, i sold my measle sets and kept the old school ones
the de luxe and tournament

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
balls wear out just like your shoes do but slower. you do need to buy new ones once in awhile. and they are cheaper than your cell phone you trade in for the newest, every time it comes out.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I'm wondering if the balls in question are knock offs and not Aramith.
My measles ball gets plenty of use and doesn't have a flat spot on it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering if the balls in question are knock offs and not Aramith.
My measles ball gets plenty of use and doesn't have a flat spot on it.

I don't think it is solely from use, perhaps not at all, even.

It has got to be the mechanical polisher.

In my experience, commercially used pool balls spend FAR less time in polishers than 3c balls do. The increased heat, with the friction...methinks that is the culprit.

Knockoffs would be a good theory, but I don't think we have the evidence for a warrant yet.

I don't think aramith is the company we want it to be, really. Remember the crescent cracking in their cue balls? They never did fess up to that and that issue was well-documented.