Flying with your cue

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some advice I have never flown with my cue. I’m traveling from Pennsylvania to St.Louis with American Airlines. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some advice I have never flown with my cue. I’m traveling from Pennsylvania to St.Louis with American Airlines. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Check with airline to determine current regulations and get them in writing on airline letterhead.

1. If possible/convenient ship beforehand care of friend, hotel, or business.

2. Get a suitcase big enough to hold your cue and case (or hold just your cue and carry a soft, fold-up case in carry-on) which you check .

3. Use clothes to protect cue in suitcase.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a roller-duffel that is long enough that my case fits in lengthwise. It also has separators so I can wedge the case in so it can't be simply lifted out of the luggage without unpacking, which helps if the TSA opens the bag for one of their "special inspections".

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make something similar to this for a few bucks and check it in with your baggage. Make sure you wrap your cues in something before you place them in the cases...or fabricate some kind of liners and protectors.

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20 years of being a road warrior who spends 125-150 nights a year in hotels (before China Flu) made me realize it just isn’t worth the hassle of traveling with a cue. Unless it’s a “disposable” cue, and then what’s the point? I usually just play off the wall, or buy a cheap sneaky pete if they sell them and then just give it away when I leave town.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... it just isn’t worth the hassle of traveling with a cue. Unless it’s a “disposable” cue, and then what’s the point? I usually just play off the wall, or buy a cheap sneaky pete ,,,
I think it is different if you are travelling to a tournament that is important to you.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice for travel is to get a cue in the below $300 range that you really can play well with and pack it a checked bag, or securely mail a more expensive owned cue ahead of your travels, or just drive if possible

Reactions: bbb

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is different if you are travelling to a tournament that is important to you.
No doubt. Or if you subsidize your income playing pool. About ten years ago we rented a house in Maine for two weeks for a family reunion. The house had a sweet GC IV in it so I sent a few cues via Fed Ex to my sister in law who was driving up from NH. It was pretty hassle free but I don’t think I played but a few times. turns out Maine is freaking awesome in the summer.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Good News is most sturdy check baggage makes it point A-B fine.

bad News is sometime thing happen, no one know how or why.
Buy insurance if available, and be covered.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Everytime I've flown to Vegas, I wrap my cues in a towel and pack them in my luggage. Once there, I buy a throw away fabric case for the duration of the trip.

The other guys on my team opt to pack the cues like I do, but instead bring their empty case on the plane as a carry on.

All that said, my playing cue for those trips was very cheap compared to my current player. Odds are I won't fly with my new cue. I go to Vegas for the vaca and not overly concerned about marginal improvement in play a specific cue may provide.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will have to check it.

A hard case inside a soft piece of luggage will work.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 366

Vanessa

I've only wanted to take my cue with me twice while I was flying. Both times I sent my cue to my destination with UPS so I could just pick it up when I arrived. No worrying about airport handling and I tracked it the whole way.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was running through Heathrow Airport in UK with my Fellini back in January of 1990 and the airport police stopped me to see what was in my case. Back in those days, I never would have thought of not carrying my cue onboard the plane.