FOR SERIOUS STUDENTS OF PROFESSIONAL METHODS FOR PLAYING THE GAME

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he does talk about them, but yes for the most part they aren't important enough to think about.
Part of the problem is you and the "folks" have been wrong for years.

Well, part of the problem is you and the folks have been wrong for years.

Lou Figueroa

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex is technically Philippine but grew up in 🇨🇦.

I wouldn't say on average that his bridge is short. In fact I'd say he lingers toward to the long. Probably because he's a short dude.

Long bridges mandate a rock solid stroke. Small deviations on the grip hand are magnified as the bridge becomes longer.
IMO Long shots and long cue ball drives are better served with a long bridge. It's also easier to line up the shot with a long bridge, especially if you get down on the stick. The stroking accuracy bit is overstated and maybe bogus since you are looking nearly directly at the cueball. You don't usually use the whole travel ala Melling but the windup room is always available.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
For years I noticed that the top Asian players were using extra long bridges most of the time instead of the old fashioned Mosconi method of 6-7-8 inches, etc.,etc.
The short bridges may(?) have been okay in the hey day of straight pool (a half table game), but now against these 9 ball and 10 ball wizards from Asia it is necessary to drive that cue ball around the table while pocketing accurately to remain at the table. And be assured that if the other guy throws a safety on you, most of the time you will be jammed up on a short rail a "mile away" from the object ball.
I began to wonder WHY the Asians seemed to use the long bridge so much?
Some of the answer has been revealed in Stan Shuffett's Master Encyclopedia of Pocket Billiards titled "CENTER POCKET MUSIC".
Stan spends a lot of time discussing bridge lengths as they relate to pivot aiming (which is almost an axiom now with Asian players and they disguise it SO well). They keep it to themselves also...which is a smart thing to do. Especially around most Americans, who by and large, seem to have a built in sense of moral and intellectual superiority toward residents of other countries.
This discussion of bridge lengths in the book should be studied, digested, and then thoroughly worked with at the practice table.
Longer bridges require less pivot, shorter bridges require greater pivots in order to arrive at the NISL (no imagination shot line). This is good news!
Studying these things will give a lot of answers toward some of the WHY concerning the Asians and some Europeans as to how they seem to be beating the daylights out of everyone they play most of the time.
Learning is a fun thing. When you stop learning, your brain atrophies and you die...both figuratively and literally.
View attachment 591043
A long bridge can be an aiming aid (and for non-pivot aim, too).

A long bridge saves using a rake.

A long bridge is emulated by many amateurs who struggle with it and throw away most touch and feel for delicate strokes.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A long bridge is emulated by many amateurs who struggle with it and throw away most touch and feel for delicate strokes.
I am an amateur. I choke for the cheese. I am a locksmith. I dress like 1989 and ride public transit. I have a cheap pool stick painted red and green.
I use a long bridge because I secretly want to be a Chinese pool shooter.
I do not struggle with it and throw away most touch and feel for delicate strokes..like you said.
Now what? Aren't you one of those big time instructors..??
Your turn...….

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am an amateur. I choke for the cheese. I am a locksmith. I dress like 1989 and ride public transit. I have a cheap pool stick painted red and green.
I do not struggle with it and throw away most touch and feel for delicate strokes..like you said.
Your turn...….
Of course CTE bypasses all those effects.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Your turn...….
Watch dozens of players in amateur tournaments and leagues use an epic-ly long bridge and make epic fails with short, delicate strokes. I hurt for them.

I'm glad you are an exception.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Watch dozens of players in amateur tournaments and leagues use an epic-ly long bridge and make epic fails with short, delicate strokes. I hurt for them.

Although I have stretched mine out a bit over the last year or two. I nearly always tell struggling players to shorten up their bridge. All it really does is magnify the deviations in the stroke.

Being rooted in snooker myself. One of my guilty pleasures is watching a pool player stretched out with their bridge hand near the joint, just in an effort to avoid use of the mechanical bridge. More times than not, they'll miss the shot and I'll get a nice chuckle.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pros would have the practical zones sorted out or they'd be those amateurs.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And your polite response totally diffuses my snarky little comment.
After all those years of hanging around this dump, some of that crud rubs off on a guy.
You got style, my man.
I apologize for being like one of the donkeys in the "Posse".
Stay happy. (y)
Pete

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
And your polite response totally diffuses my snarky little comment.
After all those years of hanging around this dump, some of that crud rubs off on a guy.
You got style, my man.
I apologize for being like one of the donkeys in the "Posse".
Stay happy. (y)
Pete
We're all in this together--and we all have to vent sometimes. It's cool.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

For those of us who dabble in billiards (carom), it's often observed how experienced players will vary their bridgelength according to the situation. This is also often emphasized in snooker teaching, but in pool it seems most players like to keep their bridges long for most situations. Especially the most delicate of bunt safeties can benefit greatly from a shorter brige, IMO. Not only does the speed control seem to benefit, but also tip accuracy, which can be surprisingly crucial in such situations.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're all in this together--and we all have to vent sometimes. It's cool.
You seem to be an okay person.
But, I can tell you straight up, speaking for myself....I AM NOT "IN THIS TOGETHER" with any of the bums I have "on ignore" in this place.
I have ZERO in common with them. They are mean spirited, ignorant, self-righteous, troublemakers...and they have been trashing my friend Stan Shuffett for years and years and years. If any of them were in need of a doctor at the side of a road in a car wreck, I would take pleasure in driving right past them and throwing them "On Ignore" there as well.
I do not suffer closed minded fools well, at all. And I loathe them.
And that's the name of that tune.
Stay happy and shake someone's hand every day if you can.
(the picture below is EXACTLY what I think of them)
Pool Room w. caption.jpg

dquarasr

Registered
Busti showing how he uses chicken to egg system
I'm just catching up with this thread. Someone please help me out. In this video, at 45:00 Busti is explaining why he aims thicker on a slight cut shot because he's using left-hand English. I don't get it. If he were using left, deflection would require aiming thinner, no? Is there that much SIT or CIT imparted on the object ball such that he needs to aim thicker? Is throw even in that direction? I'm all turned around. . . . .

I'm SO confused. Ugh.

Thanks for responding to my naivete.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm just catching up with this thread. Someone please help me out. In this video, at 45:00 Busti is explaining why he aims thicker on a slight cut shot because he's using left-hand English. I don't get it. If he were using left, deflection would require aiming thinner, no? Is there that much SIT or CIT imparted on the object ball such that he needs to aim thicker? Is throw even in that direction? I'm all turned around. . . . .

I'm SO confused. Ugh.

At that distance, the throw is a lot more than the deflection when shot right .

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

I'm SO confused. Ugh.

Sounds like he's not even aware of squirt (even though he clearly knows about throw). I think lots of pros are unaware that they subconsciously compensate for some of the different aiming variables.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

boyraks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta love the bullkaka that Asian players are disguising their pivot. First it was just Busti and Efren. Now, the whole Asian continent of players are disguising their pivot .
Pilipino I am
Serious player... 5 decades
Never heard of CTE ... nor 99.9 percent of Pinoy players.
Just win the game no matter what....
Or drink on the faucet for lunch.
this is all bullkakaka.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pilipino I am
Serious player... 5 decades
Never heard of CTE ... nor 99.9 percent of Pinoy players.
Just win the game no matter what....
Or drink on the faucet for lunch.
this is all bullkakaka.
Yet i know of a CTE instructor that lives in the Philippines

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
A short of stature, young Asian player uses a Snooker table--does that explain long bridging without saying they make visual or physical pivots when aiming? :)