For the Taom Chalk Users

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Taom round chalk, also doesn't roll away too far/isn't really an issue as big as some people want to make out lol
I agree... The only time I've personally witnessed the round Taom roll with any additional distance when compared to a cube shape, is when it has the opportunity to bury itself within a ball return table, or get underneath nearby furniture.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
It is not just the rolling away issue....It is actually kind of a pain in the ass to hold on and chalk with the small round chalk.....The older I get the less dexterity my fingers seem to have.....They are not near as "nimble" as they were in my younger years......I don't even like the small square any more and would prefer a bigger handle (so to speak) on the chalk.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
wow. 20 chalk and 26buck holders. i'm sticking with the free Masters at the hall. haven't seen 5 skids in 20 yrs. don't get the fascination with 'GreyPoupon' chalk.
I was the exact same way until I tried it.......

As far as the chalk holder....Anything less is just not worth the work/time involved to make it and ship it......sorry

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow. 20 chalk and 26buck holders. i'm sticking with the free Masters at the hall. haven't seen 5 skids in 20 yrs. don't get the fascination with 'GreyPoupon' chalk.
Sorry, but the Kamui $50 chalk shark is the best magnetic chalk holder on the market, in my opinion.

By the time you place the Taom chalk in the square chalk holder sleeve, it is substantial enough to be very easy to grab with your fingertips and hold onto while you are chalking.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Then you rarely play pool or don't know what a "skid" is..? Come on... you haven't had 5 skids in 20yrs..? That's like the old tradesmen saying they've never broken a tap....lol. More than just chalk brand can cause skids. Amazed you have such little exposure. I'm guessing there's some selective memory retention going on.

That said, I play with Taom not because of the "anti-skid" claim, or even how some think it slips into some other dimension rather than land your table during use. I bought it on a lark, and simply find it goes on really nicely. Oh and believe it or not, but I find those rare circumstances when I do miscue. Taom has made them not nearly as dramatic. Meaning that my CB direction still remains mostly on path and typically doesn't result in a foul.

I can't explain the whole miscue situation. Just been my personal experience with cueing poorly and the resulting CB action.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Last I checked (today). SVB still rockin' the Masters chalk!

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I agree... The only time I've personally witnessed the round Taom roll with any additional distance when compared to a cube shape, is when it has the opportunity to bury itself within a ball return table, or get underneath nearby furniture.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was the exact same way until I tried it.......

As far as the chalk holder....Anything less is just not worth the work/time involved to make it and ship it......sorry

Same.

I was a non-believer until a buddy gave me a piece to try. It lasts forever, does not leave chalk all over your hand and table, AND for me I feel like I can hit the ball slower, like draw, without a miscue.

Lou Figueroa

NobodySpecial

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So something I noticed several months ago was that as I used my piece of Taom, the way I chalk tended to create a deeper hole in the center of the chalk and change its nice, neat, original, shallow curvature.
When I switched to Taom I ended up changing the way I chalk, so I could maintain that curvature. I got a new callous on my thumb from holding the shaft in my left hand while I chalked with my right hand.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I switched to Taom I ended up changing the way I chalk, so I could maintain that curvature. I got a new callous on my thumb from holding the shaft in my left hand while I chalked with my right hand.

lol, with Taom I had to change my hand motion with how I lay the chalk down on the rail so it wouldn't roll away.

Lou Figueroa
took me a couple
of times to figure it out

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omg your right $20 for a piece of chalk that last me a year and a half is crazy!! Now let me go get a coffee at Starbucks or Duncan for $6 5 days a week that I could have made at home for pennies. People waste money on silly stuff every day but suddenly $20 for a piece of chalk is crazy 😂 As I said many times if your to cheap to spend that on a piece of chalk you DO NOT want to start playing golf 😂

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
The only thing bad about this Taom chalk is when you play a ring game until the wee hours of Sunday morning and you leave your chalk on the pool table at the pool hall. It reduces your profit margin when that happens. With masters, I would just throw cubes around like confetti.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Honestly, I said the same thing. But I have a bad dust allergy and Taom is dust free. Masters, great and inexpensive though it may be, gets every damn where. Also I'm allergic to nickel the metal. No shit, go figure.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm at about six months with my first piece of green toam chalk. Never been a chalk hole driller, regardless of chalk brand.

I have buddies who are drilling holes into their toam chalk, but they never did that with other chalks. Not sure why they do it now, seeing how you can still brush/swipe the chalk over the tip, no center drilling needed.

All I know is I try my best to keep them away from my chalk! 😆
These pieces of masters are 3 years old. Never was a driller. I look at my tip when chalking. Don't trust the jam and drill action to cover it well. Just a smooth swipe across the top of tip gives you a flatter piece. Not a hole.
IMG_20240323_202243178.jpg

Flakeandrun

These pieces of masters are 3 years old. Never was a driller. I look at my tip when chalking. Don't trust the jam and drill action to cover it well. Just a smooth swipe across the top of tip gives you a flatter piece. Not a hole. View attachment 750527
These are still way too sloppy haha Need a nice fat X grooved into it (one corner at a time is also acceptable lol)