FORCE FOLLOW Technique Advice and Shot Examples … Topspin Mastery

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates shots, techniques, and drills that can help you improve your accuracy and consistency when using maximum topspin and fast speed for force follow shots. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:29 - Practice
1:14 - Physics
2:52 - Strategy
4:43 - Technique
5:38 - Game-Situation Example
6:47 - Shallow Angle Scratch
8:07 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Now I understand why my CB hops a bit on force follow at times. Hopping can be useful in unique situations like avoiding blockers but now I know to keep a level butt if I'm to keep the CB on the table! I figured I was jumping it but I've just been to shot to think clearly. Instead of researching why it was happening I was just putting it on the back burner as a shot I need to learn better. Thanks for clearing things up!

I know what I'll be practicing this week. :)

EDIT: I wouldn't mind seeing one of your videos where you re-created shots like the ones at the start of the video. Those are always fun and can give us a few more shots in our toolbox. Thanks again!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now I understand why my CB hops a bit on force follow at times. Hopping can be useful in unique situations like avoiding blockers but now I know to keep a level butt if I'm to keep the CB on the table! I figured I was jumping it but I've just been to shot to think clearly. Instead of researching why it was happening I was just putting it on the back burner as a shot I need to learn better. Thanks for clearing things up!

I know what I'll be practicing this week. :)

I'm glad to hear you learned something useful from the video.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind seeing one of your videos where you re-created shots like the ones at the start of the video. Those are always fun and can give us a few more shots in our toolbox. Thanks again!

FYI, I have already re-created the Efren shot here:

and the Albin shot here:

Enjoy!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do these shots 'Qualify' as 'Force Follow' shots?

Those are fouetté (or whip) shots (see the video below) and banana (or circular follow) shots, but they can also be referred to as "force follow" shots.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave,

do you have material on how to generate force with your cue? i.e. how to accelerate it forward as fast as possible?

Other than having "fast-twitch" muscle fibers, using a cue weight best suited to you as an individual, and working out to strengthen your arm, the best advice is to use a longer bridge length and accelerate as smoothly and completely as possible, while remaining as relaxed as possible. I have some videos and info on this here:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
what's your take on wrist action/flicking? do pros generally combine wrist action into power strokes?

I think the wrist is mostly relaxed and "along for the ride." It flexes a lot during the initial acceleration of the cue and flexes back as the cue approaches the CB (as the cue acceleration decreases, with the speed reaching the maximum value), but this is natural and not forced, IMO.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Nice video bite Dave....
On extreme force follow shots, I make sure' my handle hand, is as low.... parallel to the table bed as possible.

Your thoughts Dave?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice video bite Dave....
On extreme force follow shots, I make sure' my handle hand, is as low.... parallel to the table bed as possible.

Your thoughts Dave?

Agreed. The cue should be as level (non-elevated) as possible, as I describe and demonstrate in the video.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Yeah, just cueing at 12 o'clock high I've found my handle hand sometimes not low enough.
Below....I did this to help me make sure.
I actually try to get the handle lower than the tip to increase spin.
Routine...
During my walk up to this type of shot, I found out this helped me be as leveled out as probable.

Before I set my bridge hand down, I'd lower the handle allot, with the tip upward maybe 20/40 degrees (overreact so tah speak, reminder), then set my bridge hand on play surface.
Made it a two-step process before I was down & done.

CanadianGuy

I think the wrist is mostly relaxed and "along for the ride." It flexes a lot during the initial acceleration of the cue and flexes back as the cue approaches the CB (as the cue acceleration decreases, with the speed reaching the maximum value), but this is natural and not forced, IMO.
thank you sir!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
As usual, very informative & useful...for me anyway. I really have learned a lot from your incredible set of resources. Thank you for your selfless contributions to the game Dr. Dave.

I'm glad you find my stuff helpful.

You're welcome. I aim to swerve. :geek:

SeniorTom

Was going to start a thread on following with the cue ball advise, but come across this one. Though it is about a year old I loved the video and it will help me. I have only been playing about a year and a half, and can draw the ball quite well, but the follow has been my difficult for me. I will use some of the technique in your video and develop my follow shot. A question I have is whether a wood shaft or a carbon fiber shaft makes drawing or following easier?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was going to start a thread on following with the cue ball advise, but come across this one. Though it is about a year old I loved the video and it will help me. I have only been playing about a year and a half, and can draw the ball quite well, but the follow has been my difficult for me. I will use some of the technique in your video and develop my follow shot.

I'm glad you liked the video.

A question I have is whether a wood shaft or a carbon fiber shaft makes drawing or following easier?

A carbon fiber shaft can have a slightly more efficient hit (especially if it has a hard tip), but the difference is small. For more info, see:

The main advantages of a CF shaft are summarized here:

SeniorTom

The below attributes of carbon fiber are the reason I like them so much, and probably everybody else as well that uses them. Deflection, I don't think I am advanced enough to make this a part of my decision making as to playing carbon fiber or not. I like the look, feel, and durability of carbon fiber, and those are the main reasons I use them.

Advantages of a carbon-fiber (AKA graphite) shaft include:
  • It is smooth and has very little friction, especially with an open bridge.
  • It stays cleaner than a wood shaft, which can be difficult to keep sealed, clean, and smooth (with no scratches or dings).
  • It is easy and safe to clean with a damp towel.
  • It doesn’t warp even under humidity and temperature extremes (so you can leave it in the trunk of your car in any weather).
  • It doesn’t scratch easily.
  • It doesn’t ding when you hit balls, bang up against furniture, or drop it on a hard and dirty floor.
  • It doesn’t have any wood grain that might be visually distracting.
Many carbon-fiber (CF) shafts also have low CB deflection,.......