FRAN CRIMI ----BLAST FROM THE PAST

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mary kinneston posted this on her facebook page from a1980 willie mosconi exhibition in richmond hill NY
nice playing form fran (y) :)
any memories of the event?
fran crimi.png

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mary kinneston posted this on her facebook page from a1980 willie mosconi exhibition in richmond hill NY
nice playing form fran (y) :)
any memories of the event?
View attachment 592814
That was my home room and when the owner invited me to play Mosconi I nearly died. I was just doing what came naturally at that point and hadn't even started working on my fundamentals yet. The match was 150 points, and Willie whispered in my ear before the match the he was going to run 100 balls but would miss the 101st ball to give me a chance to shoot. That's exactly what he did and when he missed the 101st ball he made the ball jump in and out of the pocket so it looked like it was the fault of the pocket. It was the best miss I ever saw. Everyone blamed the pocket. I have pictures of Willie shooting as well. It was an unforgettable experience.

I asked him that day what the secret to the game was. He looked at me like I had three heads and said, "Secret? There's no secret. Just don't miss."

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Fran. I took my first lesson with you at Corner Pocket around 2000. Was my introduction to working with instructors. Also saw you play at the first SBE(or maybe the 2nd) I hope you’re doing well

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That was my home room and when the owner invited me to play Mosconi I nearly died. I was just doing what came naturally at that point and hadn't even started working on my fundamentals yet. The match was 150 points, and Willie whispered in my ear before the match the he was going to run 100 balls but would miss the 101st ball to give me a chance to shoot. That's exactly what he did and when he missed the 101st ball he made the ball jump in and out of the pocket so it looked like it was the fault of the pocket. It was the best miss I ever saw. Everyone blamed the pocket. I have pictures of Willie shooting as well. It was an unforgettable experience.

I asked him that day what the secret to the game was. He looked at me like I had three heads and said, "Secret? There's no secret. Just don't miss."
I never realized how tall you are, Fran. :)

MInd if I ask how tall that is...?

pj
chgo

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member

So, what was the final score?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

WOW. Thanks for sharing this astonishing story! Amazing!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The match was 150 points, and Willie whispered in my ear before the match the he was going to run 100 balls but would miss the 101st ball to give me a chance to shoot. That's exactly what he did and when he missed the 101st ball he made the ball jump in and out of the pocket so it looked like it was the fault of the pocket. It was the best miss I ever saw.
Pro players come and go, but this is the kind of thing legends do...

Thanks for sharing

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Willie an exhibition match in 1964 and he never said he was going to miss to give me a chance.
I guess I wasn't as pretty as you Fran.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recall my father telling me one time that he was watching Mosconi at an exhibition and he fired a ball in so hard it popped back out. He said it looked intentional but I was skeptical. Thanks for settling an old mystery for me! Of course, "Don't miss" was his standard answer to that question.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall my father telling me one time that he was watching Mosconi at an exhibition and he fired a ball in so hard it popped back out. He said it looked intentional but I was skeptical. Thanks for settling an old mystery for me! Of course, "Don't miss" was his standard answer to that question.
Ha! That's funny about the pocket. I know he came in early that day and inspected the table and put the dents in the cloth for the butterfly trick shot. He probably worked out which pocket to shoot that shot in as well.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for sharing...I wonder how he missed it?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
He slammed the shot with a lot of force. That's all I know.

I remember watching a pro match several years ago, can't remember the players, but one player drilled an 8-ball into a corner and bounced back out. Eyes widened and mouths dropped open, then his opponent stepped up and the exact same thing happened again! These shots were not on purpose, but it's not hard to believe that a player like Mosconi figured out how to do it whenever he wanted. The ball would probably have to slightly leave the table and catch the back top portion of the iron/leather of the pocket. Doesn't seem like it would too difficult to do it on purpose, but doing with any consistency would be pretty impressive.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember watching a pro match several years ago, can't remember the players, but one player drilled an 8-ball into a corner and bounced back out. Eyes widened and mouths dropped open, then his opponent stepped up and the exact same thing happened again! These shots were not on purpose, but it's not hard to believe that a player like Mosconi figured out how to do it whenever he wanted. The ball would probably have to slightly leave the table and catch the back top portion of the iron/leather of the pocket. Doesn't seem like it would too difficult to do it on purpose, but doing with any consistency would be pretty impressive.
For sure. Running a hundred on demand in front of a room full of people expecting you to impress them is also pretty impressive. He really was an impressive man. No question about it.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
For sure. Running a hundred on demand in front of a room full of people expecting you to impress them is also pretty impressive. He really was an impressive man. No question about it.
And also doing it within the confines of a 150 point game. That’s incredible to me. It’s not like he had unlimited tries. If he ran 51 and missed, he can’t get a 100 ball run unless he starts taking intentional scratches.