FSR Foul- Wassupwidat?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's a discussion, I didn't see it.

FSR jumped at a 2b and the cb contacted the back of the pocket.

Is than not a foul?

Then soufi had one that clearly went off the top of the cushion.

Funny game.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if a ball or cue ball hits the pocket but comes back on the playing surface it is still in play
unless it hits the light (thats a foul)
not sure if it rolls on the rail (not the rubber) if thats a fouls or not

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If there's a discussion, I didn't see it.

FSR jumped at a 2b and the cb contacted the back of the pocket.

Is than not a foul?

Then soufi had one that clearly went off the top of the cushion.

Funny game.
The back of the pocket and the top of the rail are both fair territory as long as the ball returns to the playing surface.

There was a recent video of Alex Pagulayan cutting a ball down the side cushion. The problem was that it was a 30-degree cut and the cue ball went straight into the side pocket. Alex elevated, cut the ball in, and bounced the cue ball back onto the table off the side pocket pocket liner. Great shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if a ball or cue ball hits the pocket but comes back on the playing surface it is still in play
unless it hits the light (thats a foul)
not sure if it rolls on the rail (not the rubber) if thats a fouls or not
There is a small exception in that if the cue ball hits a ball already in the pocket and returns to the table, it is a foul and the cue ball is considered pocketed. It is not a foul for an object ball to hit a ball in the pocket and return.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another small detail.... At carom billiards a ball remains in play if it bounces on top of the cloth-covered part of the cushion and returns to the table. However many bounces occur, it counts as only one contact. If the ball contacts the wood (or whatever) it is a foul.

At pool, it is OK to bounce on the hard part of the rail. Another reason not to leave chalk there.

At snooker I just saw a pro rattle a ball in the corner, it went up on the rail and ran up to the side pocket.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another small detail.... At carom billiards a ball remains in play if it bounces on top of the cloth-covered part of the cushion and returns to the table. However many bounces occur, it counts as only one contact. If the ball contacts the wood (or whatever) it is a foul.

At pool, it is OK to bounce on the hard part of the rail.
Is it also a foul in Snooker to touch the wood of the rail? I recall reading something like that years ago, but it might have been 3C.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The back of the pocket and the top of the rail are both fair territory as long as the ball returns to the playing surface.

There was a recent video of Alex Pagulayan cutting a ball down the side cushion. The problem was that it was a 30-degree cut and the cue ball went straight into the side pocket. Alex elevated, cut the ball in, and bounced the cue ball back onto the table off the side pocket pocket liner. Great shot.
I learned that shot from Russel Parsons in Delaware in the 90’s. (Low level pro with a ton of gamble). He would hustle all us kids with propositions like that, ha ha. Of course then we would do the same to others. The reason I bring him up, is Corey brought Alex to his room in the late 90’s and they took turns beating him giving the 5 and similar spots (when both were still teens). I wonder if Russel showed Alex that shot during that period.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I believe on the older valleys if you shot a ball hard enough into the side pocket it could come out the other side

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rules of snooker don't have any explicit instruction about a rail-riding ball touching wood or cloth -- the table seems to be all fair territory. A ball that comes to rest on the rail is considered to have been forced off the table.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

At pool, it is OK to bounce on the hard part of the rail. Another reason not to leave chalk there.

At snooker I just saw a pro rattle a ball in the corner, it went up on the rail and ran up to the side pocket.
To add to your post, if the ball on top of rail touches a foreign object, such as chalk, it is a foul.

WobblyStroke

There is a small exception in that if the cue ball hits a ball already in the pocket and returns to the table, it is a foul and the cue ball is considered pocketed. It is not a foul for an object ball to hit a ball in the pocket and return.
Slight typo Bob.

Hitting ball in a pocket is a foul bc CB is considered pocketed.
It is not a foul for an object ball to hit the back of the pocket (without hitting a ball) and return to the table.