fun 9-ball layout to try

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stolen from robin dreyer's fb page- how do ya like it?

Attachments

• 9ball1.jpeg
    9ball1.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 350

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will have to try it out. Looks like the 2 to 3 is the only stumbling block. Depends on the angle you get on the 2. Past that it doesn’t seem to difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will have to try it out. Looks like the 2 to 3 is the only stumbling block. Depends on the angle you get on the 2. Past that it doesn’t seem to difficult.

agree- depends on the deuce. getting good on that was important, and then (getting on) the five to the six was also a bit of question mark, for me.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. Place cue ball roughly between 9 and 1 ball. Shoot with high and a touch of left to come straight up towards the middle of the table making sure to have an angle to go towards the bottom side rail as we view it (near the 4).

2. Depending on how thick we are we can either stun over and play the 3 short side or draw back for the 3 in the nearest corner.

3. Play off side rail to get full on 4 ball.

4. Stop/hold around there.

5. Stun with outside and go two rails, end rail, side rail, then across table past the 8 and below the 7 to the third rail. Play to get off of third rail so if you happen to get straight on 6 you have options.

Once you're on the 6 a lot depends on exactly what angle you get. There are many routes from the 6-7, the 7-8, and the 8-9. I can't plan for all contingencies at this point because every inch of travel may change exactly how you'd play it. You have, however, solved the bulk of the rack. This isn't an automatic run out but there are no massively difficult problems to solve. The strategy part isn't that complicated, however there are a lot of shots that have to be executed cleanly.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fun video!

Considering the importance of the 5-6 transition I would want to guarantee a good angle. In the video you have to make a good cue ball shot to get the right angle, dangers are getting too full, too thin, or on the side rail. Even where you land it's tricky in my opinion to thread the needle between the 7 and the side rail, and it requires great speed.

Stopping on the 4 is easy to execute, guarantees a good angle, and a better angle at that. The low outside two railer makes the gap between the rail and the 7 bigger and uses that third rail as breaks to ensure a good shot on the 6.

Just how I like to play them anyway.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Considering the importance of the 5-6 transition I would want to guarantee a good angle. In the video you have to make a good cue ball shot to get the right angle, dangers are getting too full, too thin, or on the side rail. Even where you land it's tricky in my opinion to thread the needle between the 7 and the side rail, and it requires great speed.

Stopping on the 4 is easy to execute, guarantees a good angle, and a better angle at that. The low outside two railer makes the gap between the rail and the 7 bigger and uses that third rail as breaks to ensure a good shot on the 6.

Just how I like to play them anyway.
Yeppers... The trap here is trying to get excessively good on the 5. The 1-2-3 isn't that bad, but 4-5 is what's going to make or break the pattern. From the 4 location, running around to the 6 after the 5 is a pretty routine 3 railer. Even clipping the 7 on the way down isn't a deal breaker. You'll just end up pushing down the bottom corner anyway.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried banking out. Only able to get to the 5 ball a few times, but I think it can be done. At least in Virtual Pool.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
glad I'm not the only one that thinks so ^_^
also glad that it's teaching me tho

anyone know, is there a book I could buy with different layouts like this in it?
Pattern Puzzles by Tor Lowry is exactly what you’re looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think getting on the 4 and getting to the 6 are the hardest parts. If you end up playing the 4 in the side and get off angle you're going to have a heck of a time getting through the 9, 6, 7 to get back to the 5. Ultimately, I would want to be straight in for the side or the top right corner (in pic) so you cut the five in and go straight back down table to the 6. If you're playing the 4 in the top right corner but the angle is going to push the CB to the upper side pocket you could either go behind the 8 or float forward and take a bit of a longer shot. If you're off on the 5 that 7 becomes a pretty big ball. If that were the case I would try to float the cue ball to the bottom side rail even with the 7, that angle would allow you to get back to the 7 fairly easy.

I still like the 1-9 combo :) (sarcasm off)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

getting the right angle on the 2 to get to the 3 is the two key shots here.

Reactions: bbb