Fundamentals - Main Reason for Euro's Dominance in MC

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
I noticed in one of Sky's matches, that he was overcutting his shots with outside english, at least 3 that I can remember. It's as if he's overestimating his shafts deflection. He even said so himself on a shot where he missed the entire ball. Is it possible he's got a new shaft he's not used to?

What about the straight stop shot on 8 ball that he missed ? He just didn't play good...

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What about the straight stop shot on 8 ball that he missed ? He just didn't play good...

I'm not excusing his poor play. I did notice he did some fundamental no-nos as well. Just an attempt at explaining some of his very bad misses. When you overcut 3 outside english shots that are fairly simple, I think one should try to understand why. I'm not as familiar with Sky Woodwards game as maybe some of you, but I refuse to believe that he plays this badly all the time.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
I'm not excusing his poor play. I did notice he did some fundamental no-nos as well. Just an attempt at explaining some of his very bad misses. When you overcut 3 outside english shots that are fairly simple, I think one should try to understand why. I'm not as familiar with Sky Woodwards game as maybe some of you, but I refuse to believe that he plays this badly all the time.

He is a great player, just not having good time. It happens to every one, same thing happened to Nick D berg (EU) in his match today .. he played horrible. Nothing to do with his equipment .. at this level if they don't feel right about their equipment they would never use it or they will change it cuz they do this for living.

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Niels started going to USA and visiting Kinister he paid out of his own pocket

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember the good old days when we had Earl Strickland, Nick Varner, Johnny Archer, and some others and we dominated the Mosconi Cup. We don't have those all-time greats now.

The good old days are gone. I don't think Europe has those all-time greats, other than Ralf and perhaps Jayson Shaw eventually, but they are better than the U.S. at this point.

r/DCP

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Remember the good old days when we had Earl Strickland, Nick Varner, Johnny Archer, and some others and we dominated the Mosconi Cup. We don't have those all-time greats now.

The good old days are gone. I don't think Europe has those all-time greats, other than Ralf and perhaps Jayson Shaw eventually, but they are better than the U.S. at this point.

r/DCP

You mean when they used to play mostly Snooker players that did not know how to or even give a toss about 9-ball?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean when they used to play mostly Snooker players that did not know how to or even give a toss about 9-ball?

Yes, and they were going against some of the all-time greats from the USA in 9-Ball. And thus the U.S. had the advantage and made them pay.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
When Niels started going to USA and visiting Kinister he paid out of his own pocket

Not according to Bert.
He told me they thought pool was going to be an Olympic event and he came here on a stipend, all expenses paid. He stayed at his house a couple weeks at a time iirc. I was at Bert's alot and met Neils once.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Agree. Team USA needs a trainer and not a captain....

Spot on! US pool desperately needs to be reformed and the right guy to do that is someone like Ralf Souquet or Thorsten Hohmann. Real gentlemen on and off the table, not bums like some other players, educated and far away from gabbling. Seasoned players but still very competitive and with excellent understanding of the modern game. Give them whatever young talented players you have at the moment and you'll see the results in 5 years time. The current mentality of US pool is dated and needs to go!

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other German name you should have mentioned is Ralf Eckert - the perfect man for your job.
Your vision is sound but it needs to start now.

Cujopro

Registered
The US need a team of players that have Experience , Knowledge , Ability and are not afraid of Big time pressure. I've always felt that they need to assemble a mix of any of these players to be competitive.....before it's too late

Shane Van Boening
Johnny Archer
Dennis Hatch
Rodney Morris
Jeremy Jones
Shannon Daulton

Yes....I know some of these guys don't really play all that much anymore, and would have to practice quite a bit to get back in shape. But I would put their experience way over the new school.
Don't get me wrong, the "New school" players are very good (Dominguez , Woodward, Thorpe , Dechaine , Bergman) . IMO , They're just not there yet . Let'em win a few U.S Opens and/or World Titles....THEN IT WILL BE ON

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
My son was saying he does not like how Ralph lines up and shoots, his head is tilted, he is up a bit too high and his bridge and stroke is very long. Yet a bunch of players say he has excellent fundamentals. And he does in a lot of areas, but not snooker like.

Hey-

well observated :)

Ralph changed his *alignment* over the past years. All for "reasons". Some caused by Age- tilted head because of eye-dominance as well.
Bridge-length, Standing higher as he did decades ago- all a matter of makin compromises with changing *circumstances*, Age, health etc. :)

But-- everything repeatable as hell :p and that s the key :)