Non Smoker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
xzly2yj31oq91.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you travel the country you'll hear different dialects and references. I live in Cajun country. Almost half my friends and people I shoot with are oil field workers. The other half are farmers and ranchers. I can go ten minutes down the road and see all the cows you want on one side of the road and all the sugar cane on the other side of the road. I'm riding horses at least once a month - trail rides, Mardi Gras, and round ups. I'm willing to bet my "neighborhood" looks a little different than Wisconsin. We don't have much dairy industry down here because of the soil but that same soil helps breed a lot of beef cows. My neighbors in Texas also refer to their cattle as cows. When we talk "cows" down here everyone assumes we're talking beef and not dairy. This whole conversation started because I just wanted to educate Boogie about animals having more than one label.

Hope you're safe from the storm in Florida.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rick, now you have hit me where it hurts talking about round-ups! I used to have a little foundation bred stud. Fourteen and a half hands, he weighed well over a thousand when very very fit! I rode him outdoors 364 days one year, I forget why I missed a day. If the weather was above freezing he got a bath too, tough horse! Few things as much fun as working cows with him. He lived up to the turn on a dime and give nine cents change saying. He left more than one good cowboy sitting in the air. I could ride him without a hand under the saddle horn but when things got hot it was just the smart thing to do!

My friend's farm where Shorty stayed had a subdivision grow up around it. Just a short distance to a park too and I often worked him at the park. Got back from working him pretty hard one day and Red had twenty-some-odd cows out and nobody home. Out in the subdivision that is! Clotheslines and assorted things to navigate and naturally Shorty was focused on cows. New steel shoes were making a hell of a clatter on driveways and such. One calve ducked through the little side opening of a carport and Shorty was only a step behind. Better not to disturb his balanced on that dangerous a surface so we came through right behind.

Things were going nicely, last couple of cows to get in and we head through a yard getting pointed towards the pasture. A narrow asphalt road with steep little ditches either side and Shorty is making a beeline for the barn, little details be damned. He jumped the first ditch, always exciting in a western saddle as I am sure you know, landed on the road and slid four or five feet and jumped again. Planted his feet firmly in Red's front yard and life was good!

Found the break in the fence and fixed it. When Red got home I was washing Shorty down, he was steaming pretty good from chasing cows after his workout, not a dry spot on him before I hit him with the hose. However, when the ox is in the ditch or the cow is in the neighbor's garden, you do what you gotta do!

I was a range bum for a few years recovering from a back injury. I can't remember how many times I saw a boyfriend or husband letting a young lady do something dangerous with a gun thinking it would be funny. A lot of ladies hurt when I didn't see what was happening in time. Of course it was the job of the person teaching them to keep them from getting hurt or hurting somebody else!

I have seen scope eye need a lot of stitches, not funny at all then. Hands out of position on pistols so somebody's hand is going to get cut, bruised, or badly pinched, often followed by a hot gun hitting the ground.

A sore point with me, all of these morons watching somebody get hurt had to be taught sometime too, they weren't born knowing how to handle a gun!

Hu