AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tumblr_051a4984c26392e44a9976ef9de17b18_defdd550_400.gif
Too much torque for finger tight.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A story these old cars bring back, sorry no pictures and video would be epic! My younger brother bought a used hobby car, one of those old Firebirds. He was snatched into uncle sugar's operation about the time my older brother got out. My older brother had a very few laps experience on the dirt oval, perhaps a little my fault! I put him in my late model V-8 pushing a very respectable at the time 600 HP or more and lots of RPM with a bulletproof valve train! I gave him careful instructions his first time out, "go down yonder and take a left, come back thisaway and take another left." I didn't mention that the car was set-up to turn left under power and took some effort to make it go straight. First few times he hit the throttle he spun out!

A week or two later we brought my younger brother's car to the track. The Firebird came with an overhead cam straight six and four barrel from the factory, would run with most small V-8's. We got Rusty strapped in and then since there was no wreckers or medical personnel the track owner asked him to take it easy.

CE, the track owner, and I had hardly walked out of sight before we heard him winding that six just as tight as he could! I knew the car had good sttraightaway speed and would be sending him into the corners pretty hard. He spun out now and then but things were dry and we would hear him get going again so we figured he was fine. On the way home I asked him why he didn't take it easy as asked. "It's a six cylinder, I figured wide open was taking it easy!"

Hu

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
R.a5055fbbc18bdda5ab67df9b6ddcdcb6

Jeff Livingston
The above Firebird production line photo was at Van Nuys Assembly, razed in '98.

This photo is of the paint booths in the old Fisher Body 21 plant, in Detroit.
Ironically, Firebirds were never produced in Pontiac, MI or Detroit. The last gen were not even made in the US.

Brings back memories. Thanks.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
The above Firebird production line photo was at Van Nuys Assembly, razed in '98.

Ironically, Firebirds were never produced in Pontiac, MI or Detroit. The last gen were not even made in the US.

Thanks to then President Clinton...who ushered in advanced Globalism and the exportation of US manufacturing....the unions didn't help, but Clinton opened the doors to China and Mexico extra wide, allegedly for massive Clinton Foundation donations. Cest le vive..

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Thanks for the details. I couldn't find the exact place so I put up what image I could find that looked "good."

Jeff Livingston