Funny pic/gif thread...

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
A favorite of the old mountain men was beavertail, of the four legged variety! Always been curious to try it, never got the right opportunity. Of course I might look at it or cook it and change my mind! Another favorite, and their all around favorite meat, was mountain lion. Again, I would have to at least try a little. Never tried rattlesnake. A couple of serious desert rat friends of mine skinned one they killed a handful of times but never could bring themselves to eat them.

I have eaten turtle, tree squirrel, a bunch of other things, rabbit and pigeon, memory fails. If a good cook would cook it I would give it a try! One day I had just ate a big plate of spaghetti at my aunt's house, a lady who is an outstanding cook! Went for a walk and there were two uncles out in a yard barbecuing. They called me over to have a piece or two but I was stuffed. As I stood around talking they kept calling people over to try it. Finally after at least a half dozen other people had tried it, JV turned to Buddy, "They like that armadillo pretty good, I guess we can try it!" I didn't join in. A high percentage of armadillos in Louisiana carry leprosy, legacy of being used as lab animals in the Carrville leper colony way back when, about a hundred years ago best I recall. Checking them in Florida a couple of researchers found zero leprosy out of a small sample of dozens. I had researched them and wrote a science report on them when I was in grade school so I knew they were called poor man's pork some places and supposed to be tasty. Never found out for myself! Possum on the half shell.

Hu
AVvXsEj7Ch_wcjW1T3z4NR115Sqbzr9dF9C6RvkRueP9iBY4MVM4VQF7J6uV1Bnzun8FAXRZWJoLsewvZq6wV310uJCM_OfVmnWq5luvWzIAzSpI90tEl3pqik8iiHbx2zDKpJXM3fEJf3TmPjOIUmOs0xypmzp6TmiwDGOl9gOiGkrHh_grNSp2cQVgtoVQAg=s320

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're into adventure eating, I'd advise to NOT eat Junebug. Well, not alive, at least. Never tried it cooked.

I've had horse brain as the most "exotic" meat. My mom was nucking futs. She loved foods other people would puke if they ate. Horse brain ranks right up there as the worst food I've ever eaten. I don't know if I'd eat that over Brussels Sprouts or not. They are different experiences but equally as horrid.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
A favorite of the old mountain men was beavertail, of the four legged variety! Always been curious to try it, never got the right opportunity. Of course I might look at it or cook it and change my mind! Another favorite, and their all around favorite meat, was mountain lion. Again, I would have to at least try a little. Never tried rattlesnake. A couple of serious desert rat friends of mine skinned one they killed a handful of times but never could bring themselves to eat them.

I have eaten turtle, tree squirrel, a bunch of other things, rabbit and pigeon, memory fails. If a good cook would cook it I would give it a try! One day I had just ate a big plate of spaghetti at my aunt's house, a lady who is an outstanding cook! Went for a walk and there were two uncles out in a yard barbecuing. They called me over to have a piece or two but I was stuffed. As I stood around talking they kept calling people over to try it. Finally after at least a half dozen other people had tried it, JV turned to Buddy, "They like that armadillo pretty good, I guess we can try it!" I didn't join in. A high percentage of armadillos in Louisiana carry leprosy, legacy of being used as lab animals in the Carrville leper colony way back when, about a hundred years ago best I recall. Checking them in Florida a couple of researchers found zero leprosy out of a small sample of dozens. I had researched them and wrote a science report on them when I was in grade school so I knew they were called poor man's pork some places and supposed to be tasty. Never found out for myself! Possum on the half shell.

Hu
I grew up in a hunting/fishing family. Hunting in season and fishing and running trot lines in the warmer weather. Turtle is amazing! My folks used to cook it. Dad caught and cleaned the turtle. Mom battered the pieces and fried them like you would chicken. Put them in a pressure cooker with mushroom soup and cooked it the rest of the way. Great stuff, highly recommend trying it that way if it's ever an option. Squirrel and rabbit is great eating, some of my favorites. I'd rather hunt squirrel for meat than deer. Venison is good but you can't beat fried squirrel, and a lot easier to get them back to the truck and butcher up. Foul of any kind is good. Once we had a pigeon problem at my brother in law's farm. We plinked them from the rafters with a pellet gun. Dad came over and said there's no way he's letting them go to waste. Cleaned about a dozen pigeons and my sister cooked them up. I was super hesitant, but damn they were good. Pigeons are also called rock doves and eating doves is a thing so why not? Organic pigeons raised on whatever they eat and stray corn in the animal pens makes good eating.

I worked with an old retired military man. He told me about basic training and how they were all just drained. They got rewarded with a huge banquet near the end of basic. They all just ate and ate their fill. They let them know afterwards what they had eaten. Everything from monkey to dog and cat to rats and all sorts of crazy in between. They wanted to instill that in survival anything with fin, fur, or feathers was good eating. He said at first he had a brief moment of feeling queasy, then realized everything he had eaten was delicious.

tomatoshooter

If you're into adventure eating, I'd advise to NOT eat Junebug. Well, not alive, at least. Never tried it cooked.

I've had horse brain as the most "exotic" meat. My mom was nucking futs. She loved foods other people would puke if they ate. Horse brain ranks right up there as the worst food I've ever eaten. I don't know if I'd eat that over Brussels Sprouts or not. They are different experiences but equally as horrid.
Brussel sprouts are good if cooked properly.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
People say that. People lie!
Although I'm not sure of the comparison, having only tasted the sprouts, I imagine Brussels Sprouts have a similar taste to feces.
Roast them and use bits of bacon and a bit of bacon grease. Cook past al dente but not soft.

One of the more popular side items in mid-upper end restaurants for at least 2-3 years or so. I can eat a small serving, but the wife can make a meal out of them. But, to each his own.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Roast them and use bits of bacon and a bit of bacon grease. Cook past al dente but not soft.

One of the more popular side items in mid-upper end restaurants for at least 2-3 years or so. I can eat a small serving, but the wife can make a meal out of them. But, to each his own.
Another recipe, roast them in an oven dish. Before roasting put some olive oil on them (or butter) some garlic, salt and crushed pecans. The pecans go really well with brussel sprouts.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another recipe, roast them in an oven dish. Before roasting put some olive oil on them (or butter) some garlic, salt and crushed pecans. The pecans go really well with brussel sprouts.
Definitely put olive oil and Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on most things we cook. Never thought about pecans with Brussel Sprouts. Will have to suggest it to the wife. Thanks for the tip!

tomatoshooter

Shave a little Parmesan or similar hard cheese over them when you serve. Definitely al dente, that's the most important thing. So many vegetables are actually good if they aren't cooked beyond recognition.

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Adding bacon to ANYTHING makes it more palatable. Why ruin bacon with the vegetable equivalent of poop?