Funny pic/gif thread...

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy pumpkin month
v8dbihc6p4r91.jpg

tomatoshooter

All cattle are referred to as cows. You'll never hear anyone refer to a heard as cows and bulls. It's sort of an inclusive term amongst those in the know. Cows, bulls, heifers, steers, calves, etc. All cows. (You think you know more about cows than the owner of that bull in the photo? )
I asked a couple of ranchers what the singular neutral term was and they talked it over and said "bovine". There's not an agreed upon singular term like chicken for a rooster or hen.

tomatoshooter

I was a range bum for a few years recovering from a back injury. I can't remember how many times I saw a boyfriend or husband letting a young lady do something dangerous with a gun thinking it would be funny. A lot of ladies hurt when I didn't see what was happening in time. Of course it was the job of the person teaching them to keep them from getting hurt or hurting somebody else!

I have seen scope eye need a lot of stitches, not funny at all then. Hands out of position on pistols so somebody's hand is going to get cut, bruised, or badly pinched, often followed by a hot gun hitting the ground.

A sore point with me, all of these morons watching somebody get hurt had to be taught sometime too, they weren't born knowing how to handle a gun!

Hu
I always work new shooters up to the rifle. I make sure their face is far enough from the scope and the butt is firm on their shoulder. It's not something most adults can't handle but it can also put a hurting on someone who is not ready. I also only load one round until I'm comfortable that they are comfortable.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always work new shooters up to the rifle. I make sure their face is far enough from the scope and the butt is firm on their shoulder. It's not something most adults can't handle but it can also put a hurting on someone who is not ready. I also only load one round until I'm comfortable that they are comfortable.

Sounds like good practices you employ! If a new shooter wants to shoot something fairly stout I often bring along a .22 for starters.

A very solidly built auto mechanic friend of mine bought a mountain rifle in 300WinMag or one of the other 300mag cartridges. Very lightweight, made for a lot of toting and not much shooting! Sighting it in was a bear when you didn't know a trick or two. I told him to get a bitch bag as they are delicately called around here. A flat bag of shot or sand between the butt and your shoulder. That will tame down most anything for shooting off the bench!

Always entertaining right before deer season at the range if you have the courage to be around a bunch of once a year shooters. I was watching a thin young man sight in a 7mag with some help from an older fellow at the range. The groups had turned into shotgun patterns but the advisor was in a hurry. Come'n, get another round in the chamber, let's go! The man fired two boxes of 7mm magnum back to back and decided the rifle was sighted in gooder enough! No telling where it was really shooting, he could barely keep it on target by then! Probably have to be there to see it to appreciate it but I was almost rolling with laughter with the older man rushing the younger and the younger very blatantly ready to quit! I doubt he could pick up a can of coke with his right hand the next day!

With decent bags you can sight in a rifle with one shot, one more to confirm and you are done. My best was when I boresighted a 22-243 in the time honored tradition of pulling the bolt out and eyeballing things. First shot cut the pencil line thick crossed lines on the target and I was done!

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I can’t quite put my finger on it (there’s some response fodder for you all!) but I’m strangely aroused by this photo.

A newspaper article from many years ago reported a highly intoxicated young man copulating with a pumpkin. The police found him in the patch having a good time while on late night patrol.

After polite noises weren't effective they dragged him off of the pumpkin. The police asked for an explanation. The young man was distraught! "What? It must be after midnight! She has turned back again!"

Hu

dquarasr

Registered
A newspaper article from many years ago reported a highly intoxicated young man copulating with a pumpkin. The police found him in the patch having a good time while on late night patrol.

After polite noises weren't effective they dragged him off of the pumpkin. The police asked for an explanation. The young man was distraught! "What? It must be after midnight! She has turned back again!"

Hu
Lol. Was the young man’s name Linus by any chance?

tomatoshooter

A very solidly built auto mechanic friend of mine bought a mountain rifle in 300WinMag or one of the other 300mag cartridges. Very lightweight, made for a lot of toting and not much shooting! Sighting it in was a bear when you didn't know a trick or two. I told him to get a bitch bag as they are delicately called around here. A flat bag of shot or sand between the butt and your shoulder. That will tame down most anything for shooting off the bench!
If I'm going to the range I'll fold up a towel. My .270 just has a butt plate, no pad. It does not feel good if it catches your collarbone. A full box of ammo and you will have that weird orange/brown bruise on your upper arm.
My best was when I boresighted a 22-243 in the time honored tradition of pulling the bolt out and eyeballing things. First shot cut the pencil line thick crossed lines on the target and I was done!
They have all that fancy stuff but it isn't any better. I wish ballistic calculators had the theoretical zero when the bore line crosses the sight line. A fast bullet only drops about half an inch in the first 50 yards so it isn't a big deal, I guess I can measure the scope height and figure it out. 40 yards is probably close enough for a 50/200 zero.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
If I'm going to the range I'll fold up a towel. My .270 just has a butt plate, no pad. It does not feel good if it catches your collarbone. A full box of ammo and you will have that weird orange/brown bruise on your upper arm.

They have all that fancy stuff but it isn't any better. I wish ballistic calculators had the theoretical zero when the bore line crosses the sight line. A fast bullet only drops about half an inch in the first 50 yards so it isn't a big deal, I guess I can measure the scope height and figure it out. 40 yards is probably close enough for a 50/200 zero.

I remember the first crossing on the way up to be 17 yards with a typical 22 long rifle. That would give you a 75 yard zero and shoot a half or 3/4 high at 50 best I remember. To learn to guesstimate drop I laid the rifle across a bag of feed on top of the gas pump at my great uncle's store. The four signs on the side of the road went from about a hundred yards to several hundred yards or more to the pavement ends sign. Four or five feet of drop to the last sign I could see best I recall these many years later.

I questioned the safety of sighting in rifles off of the gas pump even as a youngster but Uncle Vince was a member of a hunting club right up the road and countless high powered rifles had been sighted in there. Never blew up sighting them in, I figured a .22 was safe enough!

My daughter was thin as a rail. Her husband was a deer hunter so after him disappearing a week or so for the first couple of years of marriage she decided she would go too. I set her up with a .223. They said it jammed so they gave her a .270 to shoot, a necked down 06 best I recall. My son in law had given her a blind near his and he hadn't been on his blind long when he heard a shot, about five minutes later another. He decided he had better check. "I think there is a deer over there." When he found the first one she said, "I think there is another one over there." Nobody thought to tell her about the one deer a day limit and she shot two bucks the first morning she hunted. I asked her how badly the .270 kicked. "I didn't notice."

Hu