Gamble or Not

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are only two things that keep pool from being a more mainstream sport: Booze and Gambling.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are only two things that keep pool from being a more mainstream sport: Booze and Gambling.

So, let me get this str8. There is no booz or gambling in;

Pro football, basketball, golf, hockey and every other high level game on the planet????

To save time, yes there is and plenty of it at that....way, way, way more than is ever bet on pool in any form.

As a matter of fact, without booz and gambling pool would probably be worse off than it's current state.

JMO,

Jeff

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to ask a question that may get me laughed out of here but ... Do any of the knowledgable folks here play tournaments and play recreationally but aren't gamblers? Its not a loaded question,judgemental, or troll post but just curious.A cue maker once told me that pool is a gamblers game and if you weren't a gambler you were in the wrong sport. Any thoughts on it? Thanks In Advance,Mike

I say Gamble and I didn’t even read this ! Lol

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Pro football, basketball, golf, hockey and every other high level game on the planet????

To save time, yes there is and plenty of it at that....way, way, way more than is ever bet on pool in any form.

As a matter of fact, without booz and gambling pool would probably be worse off than it's current state.

JMO,

Jeff

What!!??? Drinking and gambling in football? And golf? I thought parlay cards were "for entertainment purposes only", not real gambling. Lmao.

I bet more people would watch football on big screen TVs if it involved drinking beer and chilling with friends. Imagine in every bar, every BW3's, and in countless homes across the world, people gathering together to drink and laugh and cheer and cry, possible even gamble a little bit, all while watching their favorite pro or college football team on tv. :wink:

Pool is not exciting to watch. The only people that watch pool on tv are pool players, not the millions of weekend beer drinkers who bang a few balls around on a Friday or Saturday night, but the dedicated pool player that respects and understands the skill involved in high level pool. For the rest of the world, pro pool may as well be juggling, because most people can't juggle and they don't relate to the complexity of it, therefore it doesn't hold their attention. Trickshot competitions are most popular because the average viewer gets a wow factor every now and then.

Drinking and gambling have nothing to do with why pool is not more popular. In fact, as Jeff has pointed out, without drinking and gambling the popularity/entertainment of pool would be worse off. Millions of barboxes out there would collect dust and rot away. But there will always be those who feel like the evil drink is man's worse sin. Lol. Just writing that makes me laugh.:grin-square:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to play for money. Not sure if that counts as “gambling” or not, guess it depends on your definition. I’m a far better money player than I am a tournament player and I’ll take winner breaks any day of the week. I’d rather things were the other way round (be better in tournaments) and I’m also a proponent of alternate breaks. To me the game is more important than me. Make of that what you will.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JMO,

Jeff

High level athletes are not drinking alcohol while they are playing. The quarterback during an NFL game is not drinking during the entire game. They also are not allowed to gamble on games they are playing in. Remember someone named Pete Rose?

We are not talking about spectators here.

Pool is associated with gambling, smoking and drinking while playing. That is the stereotype and unlikely to change.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to ask a question that may get me laughed out of here but ... Do any of the knowledgable folks here play tournaments and play recreationally but aren't gamblers? Its not a loaded question,judgemental, or troll post but just curious.A cue maker once told me that pool is a gamblers game and if you weren't a gambler you were in the wrong sport. Any thoughts on it? Thanks In Advance,Mike

I would gamble. Around here, if I'm in ANY bar, nobody wants to gamble with me, or at least not for very long. At a pool hall? Why would I want to play someone who sees me play and THEN wants to gamble? They just like me that much they want to give me money? Probably not.

Muddog

Registered
Mostly(99%) play by my self because I dont get a lot of table time and also dont want to watch somebody else play.

I will gamble, and have quite a bit in the past, but with my time limitations, I'd rather just hit every ball into the rail that I possibly can by myself.

I wouldn't care if everybody else in the world quit, I would still play, most beautiful game invented.

This.....

That being said I used to gamble but mainly drinks instead of dollars it’s how I drank my way through college

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hi Mike,

At 56 years of age, I don't gamble as much as I used to. I'll be playing at the Arizona State Championships this week. I think most of the gambling is the younger guys that have more testosterone to burn, LOL
I do still like to play for something, otherwise it's just banging balls into the rails. Putting a small wager makes both players give it their best shot, JMHO

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@whiteoak Many would say you need to incorporate some level of wagering to help achieve the highest level. But there are plenty of players that play only tournaments or friendly games and get plenty good at the sport. Gambling isn't a necessity, it just tends to run with the territory alot of the time. The bigger question is what would make YOU happiest about the game, then go from there.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a shit-load of gamblers in regular bars where only house cues are involved. No one really knows whats happening on the table, yet hundreds of dollars are involved. This is at a lot of redneck/dive bars in Birmingham/Bessemer Alabama. (pool halls not so much) !!!

I ran into that a few times in one of my local places, there are a bunch of bad players that play on the 7 footer and never go to the 9 footers but I keep hearing abut games for a 100, 200. A lot of the guys that play on the 9 footers won't enter a $20 tournament where you get free table time all night and the guys on the 7 footer won't go near the guys that regularly play on the 9s LOL

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit gambling so I don't go to the pool room
there is nothing there withoutgambling i like to do

I bought a table with 5 inch pockets and play about 15 minutes ne or thee times pr day

I got to looking at my table and told my wife I was thinking of seklling the table even though it is perfect in every way

I said it just doesn't mean anything

i am not saying pool isn't fun or maybe I am saying it just isn't fun for me without a chance to win something

isn't that what we say about pro pool they want to win money

if not they would play amatuer pool likegolfers with class

I ran 56 balls a week ago,my personal best,but i don't care if i never play again

Don't get me wrong ,I am not suggesting that any one take up gambling to have fun.
You won't have fun and you will lose money.

Gambling is terrible for most people

I am 76 and returning to baseball. I love baseball and enjoy teaching my grandson how to hit
I was out playing with him today,he saw my truchk coming and ran to the field ready to hit.

Now this is fun and always has been

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I quit gambling so I don't go to the pool room
there is nothing there withoutgambling i like to do

I bought a table with 5 inch pockets and play about 15 minutes ne or thee times pr day

I got to looking at my table and told my wife I was thinking of seklling the table even though it is perfect in every way

I said it just doesn't mean anything

i am not saying pool isn't fun or maybe I am saying it just isn't fun for me without a chance to win something

isn't that what we say about pro pool they want to win money

if not they would play amatuer pool likegolfers with class

I ran 56 balls a week ago,my personal best,but i don't care if i never play again

I am writing a collection of pool short stories, some fiction, some not. This post is right in tune with a character from one of my stories. I feel like I know you!
Lol.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maverick"old pappy took me into a saloon and showed me the wheel faro etc and said ,son thats gambling stay away from it,stick to poker ,"

all betting is not the same

Last edited: