Gambling As Better Player

phreaticus

I’m not down with the stripper thing, I can find on my own what I like. Don’t worry about me.

I know lots of people who don’t gamble, I’m not sure what being 90 has to do with anything, but hey that cool.

later bro…..
You can send me the $1k Fatboy. And you still have the 8. I’m on a mission to get you hitting balls again! 😘

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can send me the $1k Fatboy. And you still have the 8. I’m on a mission to get you hitting balls again! 😘
Soon as I can wear contacts again-I’m playing! I have a virus infection in my left eye going on 4 months, so I can’t put in a contact lense. Glasses have never worked for me. I’m really in the mood to start knocking them around. My health & back has been good.

I have a eye Dr apt again on Monday. It’s healing very slowly. I’ll let you know.

I appreciate the support,

Fatboy ❤️😃

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Soon as I can wear contacts again-I’m playing! I have a virus infection in my left eye going on 4 months, so I can’t put in a contact lense. Glasses have never worked for me. I’m really in the mood to start knocking them around. My health & back has been good.

I have a eye Dr apt again on Monday. It’s healing very slowly. I’ll let you know.

Fatboy ❤️😃
$1k Worth of Aramith replacement orange 5 balls to matchroom headquarters in batches of 10 would be a nice investment. ;)
🤣

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Clearly not, otherwise the OP wouldn't have raised the issue. You might be right though, maybe the OP "should" just chill with it. But it does sound like that's not their thing.
It would be my thing and was my thing for a very long time. I should have also stated this has been going on for years. Probably 6 years at this point. My guess is that it is approaching around 10k. I was just looking for some more opinions. Something to me didn't feel right about it, but seeing as how I have such a great customer I am going to probably just keep at it and I will probably just start tossing the cash on my light at home until I can buy a better table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know if it would work in this situation, but if you want a more even match you could suggest an automatic spot mechanism.

Play races to 6, say for $100. Keep track of the win total starting now. For every $1000 one of you is ahead lifetime, the other player gets one game of spot. The two numbers add to 12 or 13, so the spots in order would be 6-6 7-6 7-5 8-5 8-4 9-4 9-3 ...

The $1000 can be adjusted to match your single set bets -- maybe 10 times as much.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could also make it like he's doing you the favor by giving him the spot. He's "helping" you deal with a higher pressure situation.
Yup, this. My buddy was reluctant to take a spot in straight pool. I had to explain it as, "Look, if I'm not spotting you, it hurts my game. I want to have to play my best to beat you, I need the spot to make sure I have to stay 100% focused, otherwise I won't improve, and it'd be a waste of my time".

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$1k Worth of Aramith replacement orange 5 balls to matchroom headquarters in batches of 10 would be a nice investment. ;)
🤣
I’d pay for that. Seriously $1000 to replace all the purple 5 balls. That’s a discount and doing the pool world a favor. A favor I’d gladly do!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the guy likes to play a game under pressure, helps him play better.

One thing is front running is great when your looking for a payday. But if all a player plays is easy games-it doesn’t help the winning players game much. But the $’s nice.

I like to play soft games then step up until it’s too much pressure. Then back down and back up. It’s a process. That’s what made me a better player in just more than pool. Learning how to win when it’s easy and hard are 2 different things.

So like I said before, if the guy constantly losing is of sound mind, he has a reason for playing this game. And there’s nothing wrong with it.

Best
Fatboy <———-just a dumb guy who knows zero about gambling, I didn’t learn a thing over the last 40 years in action……

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the day when I played and gambled every day for me it was about playing hard and winning.
The money was secondary.
If I played for $10 or $100, I just wanted to be tested and win.
Playing a guy even and always winning would start to get very boring.
I like the heart pounding thrill of a tough match.
The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Fatboy,

Do you still come over to Germany for treatments? I am still living in Mainz.

As for the OP... I guess I have always had more of a European mindset on the game. I play and improve to play better, not to win money. I see the game as a beautiful example of conquering our physical limitations, and as such, I play just as hard for nothing, as I do for money. I will play for money if asked, and if it is within my comfort level if ai were to lose.

One thing to keep in mind is... Many pool players get into the game because they are wired to be gambling addicts. That's why so many pool players in the old days gambled on the horses. Their brains are wired to have a much stronger dopamine reaction to gambling that other people. Same basic brain chemistry applies to drugs, so that's why so many players partake, and a certain percentage destroy their lives over it.

In the end.. You can play the game primarily for the love of the game and competition, or you can play for money. But if you play for money, be aware that often times, you are taking advantage of someone who basically has a physical addiction.

By the political conversations on the forum, it is obvious that so many players are all about that "dog eat dog" life. Fair enough, but what sort of world does that build for your grandchildren? #justsayin

Fatboy ❤️😃

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy,

Do you still come over to Germany for treatments? I am still living in Mainz.

As for the OP... I guess I have always had more of a European mindset on the game. I play and improve to play better, not to win money. I see the game as a beautiful example of conquering our physical limitations, and as such, I play just as hard for nothing, as I do for money. I will play for money if asked, and if it is within my comfort level if ai were to lose.

One thing to keep in mind is... Many pool players get into the game because they are wired to be gambling addicts. That's why so many pool players in the old days gambled on the horses. Their brains are wired to have a much stronger dopamine reaction to gambling that other people. Same basic brain chemistry applies to drugs, so that's why so many players partake, and a certain percentage destroy their lives over it.

In the end.. You can play the game primarily for the love of the game and competition, or you can play for money. But if you play for money, be aware that often times, you are taking advantage of someone who basically has a physical addiction.

By the political conversations on the forum, it is obvious that so many players are all about that "dog eat dog" life. Fair enough, but what sort of world does that build for your grandchildren? #justsayin
I was just in Munich for 2.5 weeks. I’ll be back over in 3 weeks.

I totally understand the European mindset and I respect that. There’s nothing wrong with not gambling on pool. Isn’t my choice, but I respect it 100% Souquet is a perfect example.

However if you are gambling and winning, there’s nothing wrong with that. Or losing for that matter/ it’s a choice.

Hope all is good with you Russ, I’ll message you here when I’m in Munich again. I have some biz there I need to handle. I’ll be in Monaco on 20 July then Germany after that.

Best
Fatboy 😃😃