Gandy pool que I’m trying to find more information on.

Pooljunk

Hi, I buy ques from second hand shops in Toky. I came across this que that was different in the lenin wrap. It was extremely smooth to the touch. I have searched online but haven’t been able to find this stick. Can anyone please provide any information. Thank you!
69066A87-7675-4D05-B9FB-39AF62A99048.jpeg
122683B4-9734-47D1-8BB0-C3486789C87E.jpeg
396827B7-BBA1-4D37-8657-DDA42D3FAEE4.jpeg
47F79D1C-410A-4EEA-9E9A-523AE2EDDBF8.jpeg
DA8FB577-EFB7-4D0A-BD42-718F0CF3B527.jpeg

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you say that the linen wrap was" smooth to the touch" my guess is that you are experiencing what is called a "coated" linen wrap- meaning that the wrap has a coating of polyurethane sprayed over it. This was also common with early Meucci cues. When a linen wrap has no coating on it that is called an exposed linen wrap.

Pooljunk

When you say that the linen wrap was" smooth to the touch" my guess is that you are experiencing what is called a "coated" linen wrap- meaning that the wrap has a coating of polyurethane sprayed over it. This was also common with early Meucci cues. When a linen wrap has no coating on it that is called an exposed linen wrap.
First off thank you for the reply. I want to further explain the linen. Yes it is the smoothest of all my pool ques. Also I do feel a difference between the wood and linen. The linen touch is there but extremely subtle. You can also see a slight glare switching from the wood to the linen. Again thank you for your input.
image.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off thank you for the reply. I want to further explain the linen. Yes it is the smoothest of all my pool ques. Also I do feel a difference between the wood and linen. The linen touch is there but extremely subtle. You can also see a slight glare switching from the wood to the linen. Again thank you for your input.
View attachment 581676
Linen can be pressed/finished as to feel really slick. You can starch and press it to where you can't even feel the threads.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes this could just be one of those super slick exposed linen wraps as well- you would certainly feel a coating over the wrap if it were coated.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually it's called double-pressed linen and sometimes there is a wax or something used on the fibers. My Ned Morris cue had a wrap that was smoother than any other linen wrap I played with. The Gandy cues were a bit on the lower end of the cues but nothing a player would not use for the cost. Nothing special, nothing bad.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Looks like one of the Gandy's made by Viking, probably 1970's. This model is not in the first Gandy catalog.

Here's a thread that explains a little more:

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like one of the Gandy's made by Viking, probably 1970's. This model is not in the first Gandy catalog.

Here's a thread that explains a little more:

Gordon Hart the owner of Viking once told me he used to sell all kinds parts to other cuemakers. He said they used to have a catalog of cue parts they sold. I wish one of those catalogs had survived. I think most Gandy cues were made in Georgia using Viking parts.