Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
old and ....older

lol

stick to carom old timer, try learning something about 2019
I'm not sure what that was all about. As for recent stuff, here is the rule from the 2016 US Open 9-Ball:

... Players must rack the 1-Ball in front, the 9-Ball on the spot, and the 2-Ball behind the 9-Ball. ...​

My point was that the 2 in back was a known rule.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry to quibble over the comparison to a 16 pack because it was a legendary pool feat to run 8 racks on this table, but I have my doubts.

I've never heard of any 16 packs in 9 ball. I've heard legends of Johnny running out a 13 rack set on Busty, but I don't know if that was exaggerated. I know Earl did 11 with a few 9 ball breaks and some short racks. But other than tales of McCready on the barbox or stories of Johnny Irish running 20 racks of 9 ball with a broomstick, I've never heard anything reliable to suggest 16 racks of 9 ball on a 9' table has been witnessed.

And this is 9 ball, a game that has been the major pool game for 50 years with a huge international following.

If this has never happened in 9 ball over all of these years, and Potts just starts playing 9 ball on the Chinese 8 ball table and posts an 8 pack while still learning the game, how could that be the correct comparison?

Obviously it's a gaff table and most racks would be unrunnable, but with the magic rack he proved that it's possible.

Again, it's silly, because maybe it's the equivalent of a 12 pack or a 10 pack, or a 400 ball run. Not trying to diminish it and we'll never really know. But when I read 16 pack I just scratched my head. Not even Rossoroni can run that many racks!

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry to quibble over the comparison to a 16 pack because it was a legendary pool feat to run 8 racks on this table, but I have my doubts.

I've never heard of any 16 packs in 9 ball. I've heard legends of Johnny running out a 13 rack set on Busty, but I don't know if that was exaggerated. I know Earl did 11 with a few 9 ball breaks and some short racks. But other than tales of McCready on the barbox or stories of Johnny Irish running 20 racks of 9 ball with a broomstick, I've never heard anything reliable to suggest 16 racks of 9 ball on a 9' table has been witnessed.

And this is 9 ball, a game that has been the major pool game for 50 years with a huge international following.

If this has never happened in 9 ball over all of these years, and Potts just starts playing 9 ball on the Chinese 8 ball table and posts an 8 pack while still learning the game, how could that be the correct comparison?

Obviously it's a gaff table and most racks would be unrunnable, but with the magic rack he proved that it's possible.

Again, it's silly, because maybe it's the equivalent of a 12 pack or a 10 pack, or a 400 ball run. Not trying to diminish it and we'll never really know. But when I read 16 pack I just scratched my head. Not even Rossoroni can run that many racks!

I mean, you could be right. I just based that off the fact that any rack with a ball on the middle of the rail is unrunnable barring a breakout of some sort. I would estimate that happens typically once every 3 or 4 racks on average. If you let guys pattern rack with a magic rack on 4.5" pockets and newish cloth I think 15-16's would happen. Not often, but neither will an 8-pack like this. Johnny's rack run was actually 15 because he ran the first 2 of the next set (per an interview with him and busty), Neils has run 15, Shane has run 13 of 10 ball. I've heard about a 21 pack on the bar box, Chang has run double digits in a tournament. Ko ran 14 and out on D.O. in a tourney, etc. So it happens. Lock Shane, Chang, etc. in a room with these conditions and I think you'd see some astronomical numbers honestly

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I mean, you could be right. I just based that off the fact that any rack with a ball on the middle of the rail is unrunnable barring a breakout of some sort. I would estimate that happens typically once every 3 or 4 racks on average. If you let guys pattern rack with a magic rack on 4.5" pockets and newish cloth I think 15-16's would happen. Not often, but neither will an 8-pack like this. Johnny's rack run was actually 15 because he ran the first 2 of the next set (per an interview with him and busty), Neils has run 15, Shane has run 13 of 10 ball. I've heard about a 21 pack on the bar box, Chang has run double digits in a tournament. Ko ran 14 and out on D.O. in a tourney, etc. So it happens. Lock Shane, Chang, etc. in a room with these conditions and I think you'd see some astronomical numbers honestly

There is a documented case of a fifteen pack by Niels Feijen.

According to an AZB website article on 2/2/2003:

In a 'challenge match' against French player Donald Du Bois, Feijen broke and ran 15 consecutive 9-ball racks on a regulation 4 1/2 X 9' table.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Johnny's thirteen pack was witnessed by many but came in an action match.

There is a documented case of a fifteen pack by Niels Feijen.

According to an AZB website article on 2/2/2003:

In a 'challenge match' against French player Donald Du Bois, Feijen broke and ran 15 consecutive 9-ball racks on a regulation 4 1/2 X 9' table.

Here's a link to the full article:

https://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/54-feijen-runs-15-racks-in-netherlands/

To my knowledge, nobody has exceeded Feijen's fifteen pack in the 16 1/2 years since.

Last edited:

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Snooker like table, snooker cloth, snooker cue, snooker break, snooker stance, snooker bridge, snooker pocket design, snooker like scoring, players playing 9 ball. Nice.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snooker like table, snooker cloth, snooker cue, snooker break, snooker stance, snooker bridge, snooker pocket design, snooker like scoring, players playing 9 ball. Nice.
And with a dead ball on the break. Evidently the Chinese have not yet caught on that the break is a problem at nine ball.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And with a dead ball on the break. Evidently the Chinese have not yet caught on that the break is a problem at nine ball.

Whaddya mean; the wing ball on his breaking side actually missed once (but the 1-ball went in the side).

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's hard for us to translate the feat to a run on a regular pool table. maybe jayson or melling could estimate as they play on joy tables with some regularity.

anyway, it's quite understandable why potts sticks to the chinese scene. i bet he is making more money than filler and shane combined.. i know daz had his biggest payday over there winning c8ball when it was new. it might not draw big crowds, but there's a lot of tv viewers and that's what matters for the sponsors.