Gene nagy

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to believe Mosconi said anything like that about anyone. He wasn't that kind of a guy. Gene knew about the comment, as he had a copy of the book, but he never knew for sure whether or not Mosconi actually said it. Mosconi was never asked about that alleged comment to my knowledge, so we'll never know.

I don't have any information on how Mosconi felt about Gene's game. Gene said he wishes he knew then what he knew in the future. He felt his form back then was all wrong.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Mosconi, later in his life, was asked about the comment and denied making it. IIRC, he said something like: why would I say that? But I don't know when he was asked. And it is worth noting that sometimes Mosconi said he missed and sometimes said he just quit on the 526, so who knows. Mosconi died with Alzheimer's.

Lou Figueroa

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it WAS tales of the higher truth on the green felt (great book), that was many moons ago for me. I do understand about what would have been Gene's wishes in reference to the Hall Of Fame and I can understand his humble position but would drinking coffee be considered a enhancment performance drug just cause it's legal? The reason I ask is I was under the influence of caffeine during my 351. Any thoughts?

The whole drug-taking thing isn't just about when a player is performing in tournaments or on a high run. It also includes practice and matching up. It all lends to who they are as people.

I remember tournaments when we would play 12 hours straight. The coke heads and pill poppers zipped through while the rest of the players fought hard and struggled through all those hours. Who do you think won more often --- The drug users or the non-drug users?

I would have loved to have the stamina for 20 hour practice sessions. Do you have any idea how much you can learn hyper focusing for 20 hours straight? But guess what? It's cheating.

That's why the IOC has out of competition drug testing. We abide by that rule, but unfortunately in our sport it involves only one or two people per continent --- not nearly enough to make any kind of dent.

Last edited:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi supposedly said, "I don't remember saying anything like that, and I can't imagine why I would have." GF

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my own experiences with him, Mosconi always appeared to be a bit of a jerk. He certainly didn't want to give the impression that somebody might be a player worthy of his notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved Gene like a brother but he wouldn't want people idolizing him. Gene admitted publicly that he had to take drugs to compete because he didn't have the nerves for competition. Just look around at some of the other hall of famers, and ask yourself which ones took drugs to compete and how good would they have been without them.

At least Gene had the courage to publicly admit the truth.

Gene had integrity, I never met him but I had plenty of opportunities to go to Queens and I always had an excuse not to go. It was great hearing so many people talk about him so much, especially the funny stories (baseball bat to jukebox and all). :)

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
no Java

The whole drug-taking thing isn't just about when a player is performing in tournaments or on a high run. It also includes practice and matching up. It all lends to who they are as people.

I remember tournaments when we would play 12 hours straight. The coke heads and pill poppers zipped through while the rest of the players fought hard and struggled through all those hours. Who do you think won more often --- The drug users or the non-drug users?

I would have loved to have the stamina for 20 hour practice sessions. Do you have any idea how much you can learn hyper focusing for 20 hours straight? But guess what? It's cheating.

That's why the IOC has out of competition drug testing. We abide by that rule, but unfortunately in our sport it involves only one or two people per continent --- not nearly enough to make any kind of dent.

No mention on whether you thought coffee was a performance enhancing drug? I never took any speed pills or heavy fuel but I do notice that there does seem to be a great deal of fear associated with instructors. Some of these certified instructors have given in to the idea that being afraid makes them more prepared and there for intelligent. So they try and spread there message of fear, I am hyper-focused on not judging other people based on what I have heard. But I don't plagerise any of my info from other books, nor do I need a certificate to say that I am a certified public instructor. Yes i have no idea how to spell plagerising - but this is my own material after all.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
No mention on whether you thought coffee was a performance enhancing drug? I never took any speed pills or heavy fuel but I do notice that there does seem to be a great deal of fear associated with instructors. Some of these certified instructors have given in to the idea that being afraid makes them more prepared and there for intelligent. So they try and spread there message of fear, I am hyper-focused on not judging other people based on what I have heard. But I don't plagerise any of my info from other books, nor do I need a certificate to say that I am a certified public instructor. Yes i have no idea how to spell plagerising - but this is my own material after all.

Danny: I wouldn't worry about what she thinks of your coffee usage. Not even sure what her original point was.

According to her, Nagy would not want to have been inducted into the hall of fame, especially one put together by Charlie Williams. I do not know if Nagy knew Williams or if the poster was just giving her opinion on that aspect based upon her knowledge of the parties involved. Then she went on to say that Nagy told her which of the hall of fame inductees had been using drugs and then she outed Nagy as a drug user. I guess she thought that drug users should not be in the hall of fame therefore Nagy should not be in any hall of fame.

I hope when I shuffle off my mortal coil, my friends don't start giving up my secrets to the world.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Mr. Nagy didnt want to be in a H.O.F.
....perhaps a plaque sort of like this?

Attachments

• 998792_581851805190012_1440966692_n.jpg
    998792_581851805190012_1440966692_n.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 252