Get rid of the linen wrap on my McDermott Stinger

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last Sunday, I bought a McDermott Stinger for a very good price.

My playing cue is a wrapless cue. I actually dislike linen wraps, and wraps in general.

Can I get rid of the linen wrap ? What's underneath it ?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last Sunday, I bought a McDermott Stinger for a very good price.

My playing cue is a wrapless cue. I actually dislike linen wraps, and wraps in general.

Can I get rid of the linen wrap ? What's underneath it ?

Wood and glue residue.

JC

Coos Cues
You will have a groove if you cut the wrap off as that area is lower. And some ugly wood underneath to boot.

You may consider a leather wrap to replace it? I also hate linen wraps with a passion but leather can be ok if it has some contour to it and isn't slippery like the linen.

To make it wrap less I think is a non viable solution. You would have to replace the handle or do some kind of veneer to it. Not nearly worth the work and cost for that cue.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will have a groove if you cut the wrap off as that area is lower. And some ugly wood underneath to boot.

You may consider a leather wrap to replace it? I also hate linen wraps with a passion but leather can be ok if it has some contour to it and isn't slippery like the linen.

To make it wrap less I think is a non viable solution. You would have to replace the handle or do some kind of veneer to it. Not nearly worth the work and cost for that cue.

Could a cuemaker just finish over the whole butt, including the linen, so the cue was like a Meucci(I dunno if they still make them that way, been 15 years since using one).
Would that make the finish to thick, or would the new finish not adhere to the old finish?
I think Meucci made the initial wrap groove deeper to accommodate for the fact he was going to do that.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how proficient you are or if you have a cue maker near you but you could always send the cue into McDermott and have then take the wrap off and stain the wood.

Just a thought.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or what Schon did on their BW series. The cue was made with a black wrap which they epoxy coated to make it a wrapless look and feel.

Do a search on BW2