Getting into cue making

bluewolf4343

jbaggerly43
I looking to get into cue building and was wondering if somebody could help me out with a list of tools and materials I would need thanks

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
You need more than tools and materials. This will be money well spent.

http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?page=book_video

The cue components videos are good as well. The first one is pretty frank about what's involved to get started.

Plan on spending 7k plus just to get started. You can probably get off a bit cheaper, but used metal lathes seem to be getting more expensive.

lathe 1-3k
taper setup 50.00-3kish
50 pieces of shaftwood 400+
50 various turning squares(coco, birdseye, curly, ebony, african blackwood, purpleheart, ect.) 500+
Phenolic 1-3.00 an INCH
Metal rings
Juma
Tips
Glue
Epoxy
Drill bits
Taps
Rear chuck possibly
Calipers
Maintenance arbors
Sand paper
Lacquer thinner
Denatured alcohol
Some sort of finish
Cue tips
Paper towels
Acid brushes
Polishing compound
Boring bars
Carbide cutters
Some sort of dust collection so you don't die an early death

I'm sure I missed a few things....I did. You need to be motivated. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, cues don't build themselves. I don't blame them for their opinion when the showcase is filled with 100.00 cues.

If you want to spend 30k, Thomas Wayne will come and teach you. At least I think that is his standing offer. You might have to feed him Kobe beef though, he is not a cheap date....

moccabee

Mocc1Cues
Silver Member
I know I have this quote wrong, but it is close enough to get the idea.

If you are looking to have a million dollars from building cues... Start with two million

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Good luck, its a ton of fun and learning. That is if you like to do a little learning and studying along the way.

Chris's Book and DVD's. Joes Dvds will be a great start before you break out the debit card big time. A small investment for a start.

There is a ton of Archived threads on AZ re the Machinery and Ask the Maker Forums.

A wealth of free knowledge there to make you own text files for future reference.

And not that I am being Nit Picky, but, your first goal should be stated.

Wanting to Get Into Cue repair. That is the first step or hurdle that you will want to be fairly proficient at before you start making too much saw dust.

There are a few stepping stones to cross before you start turning out acceptable playing cues.

Have fun with your new hobby or venture.

If you want to spend 30k, Thomas Wayne will come and teach you. At least I think that is his standing offer. You might have to feed him Kobe beef though, he is not a cheap date.

For 50, you can stay at his house and he will feed you Kobe for supper.

Personally, I would stay at BHQ's house. He has a pet squirrel and likes beer as much as I do. Probably wouldn't get into too much saw dust making but it would be fun.

Last edited:

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Hell...... you could just lay on Brent's floor to get into some saw dust....... he don't never sweep, lol. ;)

Lee Casto

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
If you don't have some sort of experience and/or training in wood working, material properties (metals, composites/plastics, and wood), adhesives, finishing, and a strong grasp on logic and problem solving, it's going to be a long challenging road.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Equipment suggestions from past experience!

If you want it to be turn key instead of having to heavily modify a metal lathe. Here are my suggestions from past experience. You should get the $3295 Deluxe Cue Smith lathe set up. Plus at minimum a tenon threader for ferrules $40 and a set of center drills $20. As time goes on and you advance you will want the specialty boring bars and maybe a coring drill. You can spend a lot on small tooling. But unless you have a lot to spend on small tooling up front I would suggest getting the machine and let the repairs you do with it pay for the rest of the tooling a little at a time.
Below are items many want to order either now or later.
Thanks,
Chris

EQUIPMENT SUGGESTIONS:

Deluxe Cue Smith Lathe Package 2 $3295

For Inlay Work:

Inlay attachment for lathe $1350
Or Self Contained Unit $1795
Mixed Inlay slabs $100

If you want a second function lathe I suggest the Large Bore Mid Size $1595 and add the $1350 Inlay Attachment to that. This makes it to where you can do either inlay work or full function cue assembly, tips, ferrules, wraps or finishing while the Deluxe is doing it’s tapering passes.

Additional Instruction Materials:

The Cue Building Book and All four instructional DVDs $240
You get $50 credit toward one lathe and $50 credit toward an Inlay machine.

Higher priority additional items:

Ferrule size tenon threader $40
Center Drill set $20
6 inch boring bar $35
Miniature boring bar $35
Two extra tool posts $24
Maybe an Auto tip shaper $45 or
Tip Shaping Guide $30

More specialty tooling:

If wanting to do V-groove points you need:
One inch vertical V-bit $55

If doing stainless joints you will need a joint size tenon threader $45
One Inch Dial indicator, cross-slide mounted for checking run out and precise diameter cutting $40
Two Inch Dial indicator, bed mounted for precise length ring cutting and boring $50

For step coring starter hole and for long weight bolts .312” coring drill $135
If wanting to core the forearms you need .650” coring drill $160
If wanting to core the handles you need .775” coring drill $175

Leather Wrap Fixture:

The Leather wrap installation fixture to mount on the Mid Size or Deluxe is $195

Materials for 7 cues:

7 pack wood special with shafts $250
7 pins and inserts (your choice on size) $35
7 3/8-10 pins for forearm joints $24
Mixed bag of 10 ferrules $35
7 Rubber bumpers $10

Tips of your choice

You will also need taps, drill bits and other small tooling I don’t sell.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Nice list Chris,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

but.... that's just the beginning................LOL

Kim

BKB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing how the old guys did it without most of this stuff, with some saws, a pantograph (if lucky), a chisel and a simple wood lathe or 2. I have a cue built by Abe Rich. It has points with veneers, that are sharp and even, and a leather wrap, and trim rings (I think), and a joint that is tight... All jokes aside, love how the snooker cue builders and Russian pyramid cue builders do it with a hand plane.

Dgib69

Registered
I have not turned a single piece yet and I'm in for about $6k been stocking up on materials ahead of time,ferrules , tips shaft squares,butt caps , joints,and joint pins..and I am a waiting my Deluxe cue smith lathe.... I have been researching and planning this for over a year and it is a one step at a time shaft repairs, joint repairs and hopefully in a couple years turn out a basic cue....

CrossBone Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Hightower mid size lathe, very nice tool. I did mess up and should of gotten the large bore head. I have been learning and enjoying every minute I can get into the shop, so much so I almost only go to the pool hall to pick up shafts and drops stuff off, enjoy doing that more than shooting. Mr Cueman, thanks again.
Steve Symons
Knoxville

(Still shooting with a Broom Stick), But is has one heck of a nice shaft

Last edited:

newguy99

http://www.palmercue.com/
Silver Member
I have an extra cue lathe and a milling machine set up to do point work 860 m796 0230

Exile

that definatly rolled....
Silver Member
Cues are easy. All you need are 2 things. Lots of resource (time and cash) and no family commitments.

It's great fun though.

Best of luck.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting too old to work long hours anymore. Keeping some stuff but selling a lot.
Great time for you to buy wood and maybe a lathe or two. I'm in Binghamton N.y. only for pickups. I don't want to send anything. too much work for me. I hurt my hip and knee.