Getting listed in the Mechanics Directory

Dartman

Silver Member
Recently received this in PM concerning getting listed in the directory -
We do not take pictures of jobs we do have no reason to do this.
On our website are pictures of tables we have actually built. That should be enough. What are pictures of tables going to prove?

For starters, the mechanics directory is a resource of forum members that work on tables for recovers, setups, moves, etc. It is not a medium to advertise table sales.

Pictures are a way to showcase/prove a mechanics experience in terms of quality of work - and in some cases they compare top work with hack work. Here's an excellent example - http://www.absolutebilliardservice.com/Image_Gallery.html

The short answer - pics of table work are a requirement to be listed in the directory. Presuming one sets up the tables they sell then several pics of the install process to include the finished product is sufficient to be listed.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Thanks for the shout, Rick! :)

I think for clarification (we're back to this again!), it's a MECHANIC'S directory, not a sales or installation directory. To be a mechanic, you have to be able to work on tables and do work out of the ordinary. To prove you are a mechanic to be listed in the directory, you have to be able to show pictures of work you've done.

scruffy1

Silver Member
Are the photos being judged ? I really dont think too many people are going to show you their hack work photos, do you? I personally prefer
personal referrals from the clients themselves. Thats just me..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
BUT...you get that by doing great work...and to do great work...you don't hide it behind pictures that don't show anything about what kind of work you REALLY do. You know as well as I do John, if a customer wants to see what kind of work you can really do...you'd break out them pictures in a NY second....LOL

scruffy1

Silver Member
BUT...you get that by doing great work...and to do great work...you don't hide it behind pictures that don't show anything about what kind of work you REALLY do. You know as well as I do John, if a customer wants to see what kind of work you can really do...you'd break out them pictures in a NY second....LOL

Thats right.. Reputation, not somebody that can take pictures of ONE installation and BAM! Their in the directory. Again, NOT AGAINST the
request for photos, (altough never had that request from a client) just
think it could use a little common sense in listing some of the mechanics.

Love you or hate you,lol. How is there even a list with out you on it?
I would go with any mechanic you recommended to me before i go with
an unknown with some nice pretty staged photos.

Club Billiards

Silver Member
I've got to say that (in my case anyway, not trying to speak for everyone) there's no staging necessary.

I see shitty work, I snap a picture. I fix work, I snap a picture. Done.

I can show any customer that comes across my site what my work looks like compared to someone else's work. I can show that I took the time, or showed a little more attention to detail, or didn't skip steps.

Yes, word of mouth reputation spreading goes a VERY long way, but what does it hurt to give someone a visual to back that up? Besides, I much prefer posting a few pics vs. being required to provide unsolicited customer testimonials to be listed in the directory. :D

Dartman

Silver Member
Are the photos being judged ? I really dont think too many people are going to show you their hack work photos, do you? I personally prefer
personal referrals from the clients themselves. Thats just me..

Photos are not being judged but I am reviewing the material (web page or blog) that is submitted for addition to the directory so that it meets, at least in the minimum sense, the requirement to show table work. Now table work can include repairs, installs, setups, etc. Drawing the line at nothing but pics of tables for sale and these folks will not be added to the listings.

I came across 2 already listed that don't meet the criteria and they were sent a PM advising same. Plan to review again next month and if appropriate changes are not made they will be deleted from the directory.

As for references - anyone can do that so the question becomes whether they are real or fluff. If you reread the sticky you'll find this statement -
Providing additional information such as references, service area, individual/company bio, etc on your blog or web page is highly recommended.
We're not here to tell people what they have to have on their page or blog provided there are some pics of table work. The directory is a free ad so those listed have the choice of how good or crappy they want there listing to be.

Note that the directory has much further reach then just those on AZB. Google pool table mechanic and check the #1 listing you'll see what I mean. That's why it's important to have a good web/blog page since this is a direct reflection on those listed in the directory.

Just to reiterate - since many mechs had pics posted all over the forum we went to using individual web or blog pages to condense those so users would not need to search for them. Again, it's a freebie but we're not going to twist anyones arm to get listed. Some have way too much work as it is so not being listed is probably a smart idea in some cases.

Last edited:

Club Billiards

Silver Member
I still go back to the comparison to work of mouth advertising. Again, I think WOM is HUGE in this industry. All being listed in the phone book proves is that you can afford a phone book ad. Your customers telling other people you do great work means so much more.

Most WOM conversations go like "Hey, you know that long-haired guy, Josh? He does great work. You should call him." (for example).

The directory goes more like "Hey, you know that long-haired guy, Josh at Absolute Billiard Service (937)609-2049 in Dayton, Ohio and everywhere else? He does great work. See? You should call him."

:D

Word of mouth 2.0.