Getting started - moving into building - any advice?

CoronA

Registered
I have a basic cue lathe and I'm wanting to start doing some little things to get into making cues.. I have a basic lathe with upgraded motor and 4ft bed and I'm wanting to start making jump cues to start with.. Of course, I'm wanting to spend the next 4-5 months learning this process before I even try to market my self or even sell them.. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to be in so that I can start this process? I have a 1 piece house cue that came with my table and I cut it down to 40" so that I could then cut another ~10-12" off of it and make it into a spear. So right now, I'm needing to know what else I need to buy in order to make the joint (before I do it).. Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Once I get familiar with making / building I'm going to upgrade it to a cue smith.. ($1,000 vs $10,000 (lathe + parts + wood + etc) start up just to test the waters seemed like the best idea for me)

Thanks in Advance!

BTW: This is the lathe / setup I have now. I know it's not the best - I'm not going to be turning down wood sqaures with this. http://www.midamericapool.com/index_files/Page324.htm

CoronA

Registered
Ordering the book was going to see if anyone could point me in the right direction on what else I need to purchase before the book gets here..

Thanks Dale! !

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
help

Read the book---it will help you out tremendously---it will talk about what you need to get started and give you some vendors also..

JC

Coos Cues
It never ends

I started out buying a used cue smith deluxe pretty bare bones for $1500 and Chris' book. I read the book over and over again and searched the archives here to read all the real world information on every aspect of the cue build from different builders perspective.. Then I started practicing all the basic moves on scraps and watching any and all videos I could find. The more I learn and practice the more "stuff" I want to go with my lathe. Besides the $1500 to dabble I am now invested another $3500 and counting. And I have yet to build my first complete cue from scratch. But I'm getting pretty close to prepared as I have done all the parts of it over and over in my mind and on my lathe with scrap house cues and scrap wood. I admit to being a tool junkie though. I never plan to try to sell a cue though. That's a tough row to hoe and expect an income from it.

JC

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Florida ????
DEHUMIDIFIER and AC.
Sealed shop.
What's the average humidity there ? 80%? :D
If your woods never experience 20% humidity, who knows what they're going to do when they do?

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Florida ????
DEHUMIDIFIER and AC.
Sealed shop.
If your woods never experience 20% humidity, who knows what they're going to do when they do?

I grew up in Miami, yea high humidity. Im in TN next to the Smokeys' and the humidity is just as bad, not to mention the temperature shifts.

CoronA

Registered
Florida ????
DEHUMIDIFIER and AC.
Sealed shop.
Work is going to be done in my garage while the wood and cured shafts / buts will be in a spare bedroom in the house..