getting there...

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
ran a 38 and a 45 today, both ended on silly misses. the 2nd one was, uh, a little athletic in places.

here's the 45, 22 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLiUBsehfRM

I just watched the 45, Nice Shooting Bob. i think in the end you just didn't bare down on the shot. maybe you felt u were gambling on the secondary breakshot because you didnt have an Insurance ball.

overall i really feel your game has come a long way, keep it up my friend !!

-Steve:thumbup:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
thanks, Steve!

the 44 is even quicker, and way less iffy shots. the thing that's really encouraging is that i'm starting to have multiple runs in this range, not just one a month or a week, but almost daily or even a couple times in a session.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
thanks, Steve!

the 44 is even quicker, and way less iffy shots. the thing that's really encouraging is that i'm starting to have multiple runs in this range, not just one a month or a week, but almost daily or even a couple times in a session.

That's fantastic !!!

I notice you mention the time of the run, I wouldn't stress over the time as much. Keep on doing what you're doing, you're doing great !!!

Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
ran a 38 and a 45 today, both ended on silly misses. the 2nd one was, uh, a little athletic in places.

here's the 45, 22 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLiUBsehfRM

Nice couple of runs. It is good to consistently put up numbers like that.

There is a nice analysis of slow and deliberate play as opposed to fluid "in the zone" play in the book "The Pleasures of Small Motion". The author seems to be espousing slow play just in training, getting fundamentals down, practicing cue ball speed, and things of that nature. It is difficult to agonize over every shot both for the player and for the spectator. When playing, one should strive to let the unconscious do most of the work.

Here is a link to a story about one of the most famous slow players until the advent of Steve Kurtz. :wink:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_current_issue/sep_12/taberski_index.php

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
let me reassure Steve that i am not after speed for speed's sake! much of my comment is just a reaction to my first 50+ run taking 36 minutes. that is surely slow by anyone's clock, and an artifact i think of the stage i was at and my interest in making my first big round number. i was happy about the speed of the 44 ball run because it was a result of Knowing where i was going with the cue ball for large chunks of it, so i didn't have to stop and think out every shot.

i'm much happier with the time for the more recent runs, which is more like 2 balls a minute than 1... and i think what's evolving is that i'm slowing down when i actually need to, and keeping a flow when it's pretty clear to me what to do (not that i always have that right). that combination is Beginning to give me the perspective to be able to see the overall table strategy: which areas need to just be cleared out, and which balls should stick around for the end pattern. if i get bogged down Or go too fast, i lose that, so i think there's a middle ground which is a good place to be.

and this is turning into an interesting discussion of pace!

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the thing that's really encouraging is that i'm starting to have multiple runs in this range, not just one a month or a week, but almost daily or even a couple times in a session.

One big reason that's happening is due to the fact that you've developed a better rhythm and your subconscience is controlling your actions for a large portion of the time.
While every rack is different the same scenarios (maybe with slight variations) appear over and over again. This stuff gets filed away in your memory banks and you're able to draw upon it without thinking. It gets more and more automatic as time goes on. Not only that but the information will constantly be going through a process of refinement without you having to think about it.
Your title for the thread was apt, you are getting there.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
thanks, Steve -- i really owe most of what i know to you, especially patterns and knowledge about when and how to go into the balls, but also just seeing you play again a few months ago showed me just how much focus i Didn't have, and that was Huge.

you predicted all of this 2 years ago -- i was just a little slower than you thought!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
thanks, Steve -- i really owe most of what i know to you, especially patterns and knowledge about when and how to go into the balls, but also just seeing you play again a few months ago showed me just how much focus i Didn't have, and that was Huge.

you predicted all of this 2 years ago -- i was just a little slower than you thought!

Thank You Bob, that really means a lot to me !!!

I guess some of those conversations we had at SBE really sunk in.

I hope to get back to recording soon, the room i play in just set up a few more Gold Crowns out of harms way. Hopefully I'll have a good location for my camera, the tables are being done in Simonis 860 - Tourney Blue which makes me real happy !!!

we need to chat again real soon !!!

-Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
"Wigglybridge Taberski" Hmm...has a nice ring to it! :D

(many of my better runs occur when I slow down a lot)

I have a tendency to shoot fairly fast. I know I leave a lot of balls on the table because of it, but I enjoy the rhythm of it.

Last night I played Ed Latimer two games. He plays better than me.

First game he beat me 100-89. I was 18 seconds a ball; he was 19 seconds a ball.
Second game I got him 100-50. I was 19 seconds a ball; he was 18 seconds a ball.

That's the pace I like to play.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Bob some of the slower than expected progress had to do with life getting in the way of your pool game. I hate when that happens. Maybe the next step won't take quite as long. Although the next step is easier in theory but can be quite difficult to put into practice. Let me know when your ready for more and I'll come over and we'll get started on it. Hope you're spending some time on the brainwash drill, it's extremely important in getting where you need to be.