Glue for ferrule

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a loose ferrule on one of my house cues and I just pulled it off. What kind of glue should I use to re-affix it?

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can use 5 minute epoxy or a 2 ton epoxy will work. Tape off the wood and the ferrule so that you don't have a mess to clean up.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I had a loose ferrule on one of my house cues and I just pulled it off. What kind of glue should I use to re-affix it?

A lot of those are put on with wood glue...... it doesn't hold up......... rough up the tenon re do it with 5 min epoxy................

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
The type of glue used will depend on the ferrule material.

I use the same glue on all ferrules............... never a failure............... never heard of specific glues for different ferrules............

Kim

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I use the same glue on all ferrules............... never a failure............... never heard of specific glues for different ferrules............

Kim

Epoxy does not adhere well to non-porous materials, especially if it is a sleeved application.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Epoxy does not adhere well to non-porous materials, especially if it is a sleeved application.

The only thing I have found that won't take epoxy is PVC....... some ferrules appear to be this material........... I have had no problems with Juma or even metal with epoxy.

Kim

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
The only thing I have found that won't take epoxy is PVC....... some ferrules appear to be this material........... I have had no problems with Juma or even metal with epoxy.

Kim

Metal and Juma are not non-porous.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My advice is if you want a sleeved on ferrule you should cut grooves in the tenon to allow the epoxy to hold better. As mentioned when pressed tight enough it scrapes most of the glue away and does not bond well.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said the cue isn't anything special, it's an old Dufferin. All I could find in my garage was JB Weld quick, so that is what I used. The ferrule seems pretty secure. Unfortunately after shooting a few racks with it the tip went flying off. I don't know if I pushed the ferrule on a little farther than it had been and exposed more of the tenon or if I weakened the tip bond by pressing it down onto the ferrule. Now that I think about it I don't remember putting any adhesive on the tip of the tenon.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I get emails from Stew-Mac a couple times a week,so I knew about this stuff already.

I've wondered about it too for those odd import ferrules,and I'm sure their technical advisor Dan Erlewine knows more about gluing odd/difficult materials than most of us. Tommy D.