Going from a snooker table to a pool table?

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday my friend and I played in a small snooker doubles tournament on Gandy 5x10's and was hitting them fairly decent. After the tournament was over,we stopped by the local pool hall and I hit some by myself on a 4.5x9 with fairly tight pockets. I threw some balls out on the table and ran all 9 with no problem. I was amazed how well I was pocketing balls. Some local punk asked my if I wanted to play for $10 or $20 a game and I declined because the place was closing in less than an hour. He kept asking right up until I started hitting them and then he shut up. I was getting out from almost anywhere on the table. My back arm was loose and I was in a great mood. I was on top of the world and I felt like I could have beat anyone last night. It's too bad the snooker table I was playing on is out of town. :(
I would love to shoot a few hours on it and go to a pool table. :D
Has anyone else experienced this euphoria of shooting lights out when going from a snooker table to a pool table?

peteWazzup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story regarding this topic.

Perhaps you are familiar with Mark Wilson. Well, I was at Miller Time Billiards in Moline about twenty years ago for a pretty big tournament there. Me and one of my buddies were messing around on the snooker table. Mark comes up to us and asks us if we would give up the table because he has a match coming up soon. He said that he likes to practice before a match on the tight pockets.

Last edited:

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story regarding this topic.

Perhaps you are familiar with Mark Wilson. Well, I was at Miller Time Billiards in Moline about twenty years ago for a pretty big tournament there. Me and one of my buddies were messing around on the snooker table. Mark comes up to us and asks us if we would give up the table because he has a match coming up soon. He said that he likes to practice before a match on the tight pockets.
That sounds like a good idea. It certainly helped me pocket balls MUCH easier. Pool table pockets look like the Grand Canyon after playing on a snooker table. Plus your stroke seems more true and straight.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Imagine how good supper would have tasted when paid for by "some local punk". Should have played him IMO.

BTW, until you've gone from 12' snooker to 9' 9B, you've not lived. What normally seems like a long shot on the 9' becomes routine.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Imagine how good supper would have tasted when paid for by "some local punk". Should have played him IMO.

BTW, until you've gone from 12' snooker to 9' 9B, you've not lived. What normally seems like a long shot on the 9' becomes routine.

I experienced that just tonight: during a doubles snooker match I walked over to a 9-footer. It looked dinky.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
every night for several years

I would love to shoot a few hours on it and go to a pool table. :D
Has anyone else experienced this euphoria of shooting lights out when going from a snooker table to a pool table?

For several years I shot on a viciously tight snooker table set up for golf for a few hours every evening and then went other places and gambled on mostly seven and eight foot barboxes. You thought the nine footer was easy, imagine a seven footer with huge corner pockets!

An acquaintance was staying with me a few days and I took him with me when I went to the snooker table one evening without telling him why. He bellyached and complained on the snooker table but after an hour was doing a lot better on it. Then we went chasing the usual small action. The very first shot he took on a bar table he looked over at me with a grin from ear to ear.

"Exactly!"

Hu

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The only drawback I've found was if I play snooker exclusively my pool table position play becomes rusty. But as long as I am playing both every week, it's fine.

When I started playing snooker, I was already a good shotmaker on the pool table, very comfortable with long shots. After about 1.5 years of focusing on snooker, I started playing position for longer shots rather than taking more convoluted routes to get easier pots. As long as I can get my hand on the table, I'm comfortable with just about any shot.

I think 14.1 is the game that has improved the most though. I've been able to comfortably take on more difficult pots that simplified the pattern. That and I stopped missing the silly easy shots.

I think you get the biggest benefit if you start tailoring your mechanics toward snooker though.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cash is best in my hands

Are you implying cash is for kiddies? Hu-ster!! :D

Knowing that money is the root of all evil I try to make sure that it doesn't remain in the wrong hands where it might do harm. I'd rather take the risk myself than see others exposed. Nothing but a good Samaritan, that's me! :thumbup:

Hu