Gold Crown 1 Restoration (Amateur)

Navig8er

Been talking with Jack and he shared lots of his work examples. Wow! Waiting to see if these guys can make this work or not? If not, then I'll have to ship these things to Indiana, have Jack do his magic then beg for forgiveness from my wife. Also learned that I have less expensive rubber bumpers (MBS) installed so having Jack rebuild them will also lend the opportunity to put better rubber on them. If not, then I'll have to ship these things to Indiana, have Jack do his magic then beg for forgiveness from my wife.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Been talking with Jack and he shared lots of his work examples. Wow! Waiting to see if these guys can make this work or not? If not, then I'll have to ship these things to Indiana, have Jack do his magic then beg for forgiveness from my wife. Also learned that I have less expensive rubber bumpers (MBS) installed so having Jack rebuild them will also lend the opportunity to put better rubber on them. If not, then I'll have to ship these things to Indiana, have Jack do his magic then beg for forgiveness from my wife.
You won't be disappointed. His rail rebuilds are worth every penny, he is on time and as you already know: super pleasant and easy to deal with!
Keep us posted.

TFT

Dartman

Silver Member
I agree that those rails are bombed out and need a rebuild. My question to the OP is how come
you want to put BW decals on the table? Just curious since you're going thru all the work to get
the table back to OEM.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The rails look like they've already been extended. REALLY stapled to death though, looks like someone replaced the cloth every month for a few decades. :eek::ROFLMAO:
Might work out if your installers are able to get the cloth secured, and the rubber is ok.

Navig8er

I agree that those rails are bombed out and need a rebuild. My question to the OP is how come
you want to put BW decals on the table? Just curious since you're going thru all the work to get
the table back to OEM.
Just trying to make it look like others I’ve seen that I thought were very appealing on here. It’s somewhat of a mixture of parts anyway. 1 of the 4 feet is lighter weight casting than the other 3. It’s also an 1/8” diameter smaller. Pretty sure one of the three slates is a replacement since it doesn’t match the color of the other two. It’s a circus of 50+ years of wear, tear, patch and go. Just trying to make it better than I found it structurally and apply some eye candy.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Just trying to make it look like others I’ve seen that I thought were very appealing on here. It’s somewhat of a mixture of parts anyway. 1 of the 4 feet is lighter weight casting than the other 3. It’s also an 1/8” diameter smaller. Pretty sure one of the three slates is a replacement since it doesn’t match the color of the other two. It’s a circus of 50+ years of wear, tear, patch and go. Just trying to make it better than I found it structurally and apply some eye candy.
So how did the install go?

TFT

Navig8er

So how did the install go?

TFT
Went well, they didn't have any issues getting the table level or applying the felt. Nothing extra required, simply stapled, stretched and stapled until they were done. The leveled the base frame first by adjusting the feet then leveled the slate using wood shims.

Of course not sure how risky it was applying that felt to a chewed up rail. I guess if it starts coming apart when I start playing on it then I will have to bite the bullet and get the rails rebuilt. Side note, I wasn't able to have them finish the assembly because my last 5 parts are still pending completion by the powder coat guy. His oven failed and so I don't know when Im getting the side pockets and rail counters back...uggh.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Looking good! Where are you located? I think I have a lead on the plastic skirts here in SoCal. Who did you hire to setup your table? I agree with Trent, those subrails are in very bad shape. For frame of reference, these are the subrails on my Gold Crown I when I took it apart for transit shortly after I bought it.

48445501916_1048441ad3_h.jpg

I would address the rails before the table gets assembled.
Those are beautiful!!! Its very similar to what mine was like. I thank my lucky stars every day that I was able to find a privately owned GC, delivered from the billiards store right to a gentleman's home. I am the 3rd owner of my table and it is currently on the 3rd cloth but it is due to be recovered about now. The price was even less than cheap.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are beautiful!!! Its very similar to what mine was like. I thank my lucky stars every day that I was able to find a privately owned GC, delivered from the billiards store right to a gentleman's home. I am the 3rd owner of my table and it is currently on the 3rd cloth but it is due to be recovered about now. The price was even less than cheap.
I really lucked out given the table was in a commercial environment (bowling alley bar) for decades.

DeeDeeCues

I have a very similar story, playing on mine for the first time right now. It's not complete because I have to buff out the clear on the skirts.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I really lucked out given the table was in a commercial environment (bowling alley bar) for decades.
My good fortune was that I wasn't even seriously looking for a table at this point, about 10 years ago. I had just started playing pool about a year earlier, I had the week after Christmas off of work and just happened to be perusing CL ads and came across this 8' GC for $300 that was only a half hour away. I immediately got in my vehicle and drove over there, paid for the table but couldn't pick it up until I had help a couple days later. The owner asked me if I wanted the cue rack and the cues otherwise he was going to throw them away. I said no, I felt I didnt need more junk but I never really looked at the stuff. When we were leaving my wife asked why I didnt want the cue rack, I honestly never even turned my head to look at it, I was in love with the table I had just paid for, she said it looked ,like it went with the table. I called the owner back and told him that I would take the rack and cues if it was still ok, he accepted.
1659715227456.png

This is the cue rack I told him to throw away (there is the same cue holder set on the side of the rack facing the wall). It had 9 Brunswick house cues and 1 Hoppe Titlist. I still to this day cant believe I almost had him throw it away. I also got the original Centennial's, plastic rack, and table brush in the box that came with the table when the original owner bought the table. Oh yeah, almost forgot, it turned out it was a 9' table but I would have been absolutely fine with a Pro-8 too.

Last edited:

DeeDeeCues

My good fortune was that I wasn't even seriously looking for a table at this point, about 10 years ago. I had just started playing pool about a year earlier, I had the week after Christmas off of work and just happened to be perusing CL ads and came across this 8' GC for $300 that was only a half hour away. I immediately got in my vehicle and drove over there, paid for the table but couldn't pick it up until I had help a couple days later. The owner asked me if I wanted the cue rack and the cues otherwise he was going to throw them away. I said no, I felt I didnt need more junk but I never really looked at the stuff. When we were leaving my wire asked why I didnt want the cue rack, I honestly never even turned my head to look at it, I was in love with the table I had just paid for, she said it looked ,like it went with the table. I called the owner back and told him that I would take the rack and cues if it was still ok, he accepted.
View attachment 654596
This is the cue rack I told him to throw away (there is the same cue holder set on the side of the rack facing the wall). It had 9 Brunswick house cues and 1 Hoppe Titlist. I still to this day cant believe I almost had him throw it away. I also got the original Centennial's, plastic rack, and table brush in the box that came with the table when the original owner bought the table. Oh yeah, almost forgot, it turned out it was a 9' table but I would have been absolutely fine with a Pro-8 too.

I honestly don't know if I love it or hate it.

Navig8er

Finally finished! Have just a couple small details to add like the rack rail, nameplate and a sticker but have played on it now since last night and it is very enjoyable. Thanks to everyone on this forum that helped! I'll get those rails re-built down the road if things go bad.

Regards,

JC Lane

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture7.jpg
Picture8.jpg
Picture9.jpg
Picture10.jpg

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Finally finished! Have just a couple small details to add like the rack rail, nameplate and a sticker but have played on it now since last night and it is very enjoyable. Thanks to everyone on this forum that helped! I'll get those rails re-built down the road if things go bad.

Regards,

JC Lane

View attachment 655102View attachment 655103View attachment 655104View attachment 655105View attachment 655106View attachment 655107View attachment 655108View attachment 655109View attachment 655110View attachment 655111
Looks fantastic !!!!!!!! Job well done.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The chrome powder coating is awesome.
Your skirts are much deeper then my GC1 which requires plastic skirts at the bottom.:)

Last edited: