Goodbye APA, it's been fun...

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SloRoller said:
I have played APA several years ago and after a very long break just started playing BCA this year. Which I like much better as its simpler.

BCA does not have a handicapping system. With the exception being the national tournament, if you place high you will be placed in the masters catagory in future national events.

I do have to admit I dont understand the BCA's financial aspect of it as most of the money goes back to the players, I don't think the regional coordinator gets that much. I have heard of APA operators making close to 100k a year.

Now what I dont think will fly is the new (BCA??) Cujoroho tournaments(although I wish it luck).
The local league cordinator CANNOT play in the league, go figure....

Slo

I have no problem with any APA operators making any or as much money as they can, on my seven dollars a week.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are looking to improve your game, don't play the APA. Yeah there are honest teams out there, but the majority of them have at least one sandbagger. Just yesterday I overheard a team captain yelling at one of his players in the parking lot because earlier he broke and ran out. In the APA if you play good pool, you get penalized.

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
Tommy Tube Sock said:
If we could combine the orginization of the APA with the rules and format of BCA, I think we would have a winner. JMHO

I do not play in a league, but when I did I always felt a race was by far more exciting than 4 games with wait time. On the other hand, I think that the NO Handicap at Vegas is a bit more thrilling.

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
If you are looking to improve your game, don't play the APA. Yeah there are honest teams out there, but the majority of them have at least one sandbagger. Just yesterday I overheard a team captain yelling at one of his players in the parking lot because earlier he broke and ran out. In the APA if you play good pool, you get penalized.

I think anytime there is a handicap system (you can see this in local golf clubs too) sandbagging exists. The key is to play above the sandbaggers, have fun and continue to improve your game.

The Piper

Get Ugly...
Silver Member
Tommy Tube Sock said:
I would follow your lead except that there is no BCA in eastern Massachusetts. I've also heard that BCA as a trade orginization has agreed to stop competing with its members and will cease to operate the BCA leauge within the next few years. The BCA league will have a different name and ownership (I was told this by my APA league operator, so take it for what its worth)

My other reservation is the lack of national orginization as compared to APA. If you go to the BCA web site, they talk about "rouge operators" who have yet to send in handicap info for the upcoming Las Vegas tournement. They are will to "sanction" existing leagues, but they don't seem to have a mechanisim to get new franchises started.

Having said all that, I do think the BCA rules are much fairer than APA and from what I've read of the format, I think it makes more sense as well.

Anyone in eastern mass want to start a BCA league?

I'm in Worcester. There's no BCA out here either. If you find one let me know.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
I got screamed at once

I was getting a pretty good beer brain going on, and the league operator came in to just hang out. My team captain was the pool hall owner, and I got into a match with the LO, and I was starting to whip him pretty good, I felt a scuff on the back of my head and the captain told me "what the heck? You are just about one dumbass, or one extremley smart one I can't figure it out yet, but stop winning!!! period and act discouraged!" I was new to the league and a SL4 at the time (1997). LOL, now that I look back on it, that really wasn't the smartest thing I could have done. We were the strongest team in the LO's area and went Vegas often.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Barbara said:
Whoa wait a sec here, I thought the BCA didn't have a handicapped league. 8-ball/9-ball?? No handicaps?? Play straight up? On what size tables? Could someone please explain because if that's so, I'd be interested in starting a BCA league here in the SO NJ area.

Barbara

It's been a while since I played BCA, but at the time, each player was ranked based on the average number of points they scored per game. Your games were played straight up against the other player regardless of individual handicaps. Each team added up their total handicaps before the matches started, and the highest total team spotted the difference in total points to the lower team. This method discourages sandbagging, since the only way to sandbag was to give away match points, which nobody wants to do. Winner of an 8-ball game got 10 points..loser got 1 point for each of their balls that was in a pocket at the end of the game. Scores are added up at the end to determine which team wins. Every ball made adds a point to your team score, so holding back costs your team. It was a pretty good system in my opinion.
Steve

moccabee

Mocc1Cues
Silver Member
I played in the APA league for a few years until the League Op started to play favorites and in the same year league fees went up, he baught a local pool hall. How Ironic that the same time he buys the pool hall the league fees went up. Now one of my roommates had a team that went ot Vegas last year and got 2nd place. One of the players got raised before the tournment started and another one got raised during the tournment.

Now as this season is coming to an end their captain got raised to a 5 thus forcing them to lose from here on out or dispand thier team for next session.

I have switch to playing BCA and like it a lot. The league op is great and the fact I don't have to dump and can go balls to wall every week is great. I currently play on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. In all three days I am ranking in the top 5 players. I am trying to convence my roommates team to switch to BCA and drop APA. Which looks like it just might happen for the next session.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what the event, it's hard to get away from politics. Everybody wants a fun, fair league where skill is the main focus, and we can shoot on a level playing field.

Fact is, winning is fun, and if you have to shake up your roster, hold guys back, whatever, it all goes into the strategy of it all. Like it or not, this is how the game is played. Just try and show up at any high level tourament with a legit lineup and see how far your team gets.

APA, TAP, whatever, when you get to the upper levels of any high level tournament, most teams have at least two guys who are underrated. How do you think they got there to begin with?

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought about playing APA since my brother plays in another state and has a good time playing. I decided not to play after listening to several players that also play in the local Sunday tourneys, they were not very happy with the APA and it showed. It is also not in my nature to play below my capabilities, if someone tells me to try and lose I will tell them where they can go. The only game I am interested in playing is pool, not political BS. Glad I didn't join.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Bca

pooltchr said:
It's been a while since I played BCA, but at the time, each player was ranked based on the average number of points they scored per game. Your games were played straight up against the other player regardless of individual handicaps. Each team added up their total handicaps before the matches started, and the highest total team spotted the difference in total points to the lower team. This method discourages sandbagging, since the only way to sandbag was to give away match points, which nobody wants to do. Winner of an 8-ball game got 10 points..loser got 1 point for each of their balls that was in a pocket at the end of the game. Scores are added up at the end to determine which team wins. Every ball made adds a point to your team score, so holding back costs your team. It was a pretty good system in my opinion.
Steve

I think the poster from So. CAli must be confused, because you are right, BCA has handicaps in their leagues normally, BUT no handicaps at Nationals. That's why a lot of these local teams that may dominate locally end up at Vegas going 2 and out. It's the big stage.

VNEA has been awhile, but I think VNEA uses handicaps in Vegas, at least, to best of my recollection.

This is another reason why BCA is often referred to as the best, with VNEA next, and APA last. BCA promotes the true spirit of competition in Pool more. The APA is just silly with their handicaps and 23 rule. I played in APA 20-25 years ago before the 23 rule, and was a 7, which was the high handicap at the time.

All you have to do is to sit down, and do the math on all 3 handicap systems, and it is plain to see that BCA is the most accurate rating system.

dooziexx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont forget about ACS leagues either.. ACS broke off from BCA a couple years ago and they use the same format and handicap system as BCA..

One thing about APA its all about the INNINGS!!! You can win your match and go down a Skill level if your innings are way too high....

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am impressed that you had the mindset to get out and you got out. I have been trying to get out for 3 or 4 sessions now. But then we go and win Tri-Cups so then I have to play another session to go to Regionals...then we win Regionals and I have to play another session to play in Nationals last August...

I should have quit after Nationals but they asked me to sub a few times while people were out of town since I was still on their roster and what happens? We win Tri-cups and are going to Regionals...etc. etc. A damn revolving door....

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dooziexx said:
Dont forget about ACS leagues either.. ACS broke off from BCA a couple years ago and they use the same format and handicap system as BCA..

I am glad that there is another option that compares to BCA so there are more larger tourneys. But after playing each sunday for 10 weeks to qualify for the regional tourney which was held in southern Oregon I was unimpressed by the turnout. It is a terrible location for a regional tourney and should be closer to Portland/Seattle somewhere. 51 players in the Open and 11 Masters. Pretty sad.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
I've given up the program. To those who take heed to the words, you'll notice a difference within a session or two. Alway's mark safties, throw your players wisely, watch the point standings closely, figure out how many wins you need each week and throw your players accordingly.

Play to win, but win smart. Have fun and enjoy the sport.

Also, you do have the ability to send in a handicap review request on any player in the league, keep documented accounts of their exploits and send them in each session.

Every Captain has the ability to have an effect on our league you just have to put in the effort.

Black Cat :cool:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Tube Sock said:
I would follow your lead except that there is no BCA in eastern Massachusetts. I've also heard that BCA as a trade orginization has agreed to stop competing with its members and will cease to operate the BCA leauge within the next few years. The BCA league will have a different name and ownership (I was told this by my APA league operator, so take it for what its worth)

My other reservation is the lack of national orginization as compared to APA. If you go to the BCA web site, they talk about "rouge operators" who have yet to send in handicap info for the upcoming Las Vegas tournement. They are will to "sanction" existing leagues, but they don't seem to have a mechanisim to get new franchises started.

Having said all that, I do think the BCA rules are much fairer than APA and from what I've read of the format, I think it makes more sense as well.

Anyone in eastern mass want to start a BCA league?

Check out good times...

Pete

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
The thing that gets on my nerves about the APA in our area is that most of the divisions are travel leagues where we go to different bars in our area. We only have a few in house ones around here. Some of these bars really do not take good care of their equipment. Tables play like utter crap. Occasionally you will get the bar that actually has simonis on there bar table and the thing will play great, but all the non pool players on your team and the other team start *****ing about how fast it rolls, when in fact it rolls good.

The sandbaggers will always be there in APA, there is no way to get rid of them, plus some of the assanine rules they have with no back up for why they have them gets on my nerves too (ie. No Jump cues, a Div Rep once told me this is because not everyone has one. So ****ing what, not everyone on our league has playing cues but I am still allowed to use one. lame excuse)

I am going to try move my team to an in-house APA league where are regional playoffs are held but 70percent of my team are not pool-players. They do it just for the night out and like to shoot once a week. The other problem with this is, our current home bars pay or dues for us since we get drinks and food while there. The inhouse leagues do not do that. My non pool playing team mates will not see the benefit in paying the 8 dollars to shoot on consistent equipment in a better atmosphere.

Sucks...

Banks

Banned
8ball said:
What do you mean by, "okays a scratch on 8-ball"..."ball in hand" is a devastating penalty! Besides, who wants to win on a scratch?

It's only a penalty if it's an accident. If you're given the option, you can still use it to your advantage. Slop isn't right, but neither is being able to scratch on the 8.

Either way, you accept the different rules of the game when you join a league. After all's said and done, I enjoy beating sandbaggers - it's like throwing it in their face that they cheat and still can't win. :p

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
But I got tired of the sandbagging, and my teammates didn't realize how important it was, so I too dropped out. About a year ago.
Jake, if you were sandbagging and encouraging your teamates to sandbag, you were part of the problem and not part of the solution.
I'm sure the APA is glad that you are gone.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
plus some of the assanine rules they have with no back up for why they have them gets on my nerves too (ie. No Jump cues, a Div Rep once told me this is because not everyone has one. So ****ing what, not everyone on our league has playing cues but I am still allowed to use one. lame excuse)

IMHO the APA is the lowest-end league out there - it's geared more for the true amateur, the guy who's just getting into pool, or the guy who isn't really 'serious' about it. I can see the no-jump-cue rule with regards to that - they're trying to keep the equipment-differential factor to a minimum.

No such rule in BCA/VNEA, is there? i.e. the higher-level leagues, the leagues with more serious players, who have invested more $$$ in their gear.

I'm looking to move on from APA myself at some point, to another higher-level league - not just due to the no-jump-cue rule, but because I think it's time for me.

If the APA ruleset isn't your cup of tea either, then maybe you ('you' in general, not necessarily you, Icon) should consider doing the same.