GoPro Head Cam

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm seeing some difference in eye placement in regards to cuts to the left and cuts to the right. Would like to see the go pro shooting same shots but strapped over the left eye and then strapped over the right eye.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten H. with his Go Pro camera appears to be sweeping in on his shots.

Stan Shuffett

Manual pivoting is only a foundational training tool for complete system understanding. It has zero to do with real playing.

I think a lot of players sweep into their aim lines, it's a very natural movement. Very few players come down directly on top of the aim line, with the cue held vertically in front of them.

I think the difference between this natural movement and the aiming system's use of the movement is the establishment of the initial line. Pro One, SEE, 90/90, etc. all establish a line that is NOT the same as the shot line and requires a movement, pivot, sweep, etc. to reach the actual shot line. Thorsten is visualizing the actual shot line from the beginning and just arriving there from the side.

Scott

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a lot of players sweep into their aim lines, it's a very natural movement. Very few players come down directly on top of the aim line, with the cue held vertically in front of them.

I think the difference between this natural movement and the aiming system's use of the movement is the establishment of the initial line. Pro One, SEE, 90/90, etc. all establish a line that is NOT the same as the shot line and requires a movement, pivot, sweep, etc. to reach the actual shot line. Thorsten is visualizing the actual shot line from the beginning and just arriving there from the side.

Scott

I agree.

At ball address I feel as though I AM connected with the shot line. I think that many PLAYERS are fooled in that they think they are on the shot line with no clue that sweeps are occurring. Phil Burford was in that category. There are plenty more.

I think it's hard to sweep from just any offset. Over time I believe that all sweeps are very closely connected to table geometry, whether one can describe it or not. That is what Hal meant when he eluded to the top 200 playing with CTE.

One's visual intelligence learns the offset after a blue million shots. That does not mean a player can put it into words. Thus a huge advantage of CTE PRO ONE. The offsets that have a real connection to the table can be objectively described and demonstrated.

Stan Shuffett

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I did order a 1080p camera spy glasses. Not a $250 pair, but more like a $50 pair. It works ok, but I'm not satisfied with the quality to post a video. I'll have to get a better camera.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since a go pro is attached to your head, how it is supposed to show what your eyes are actually focused on? All it sees is where your head is pointed, not what you are looking at.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Since a go pro is attached to your head, how it is supposed to show what your eyes are actually focused on?

That is why I ordered the spy glasses, the camera is on the center of the nose, which about a close as you'll get to a person's visual center. As for what you are looking AT or focusing ON, of course a camera can't determine that. You could possibly highlight the focused areas in post-production.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not worried about the eyes

Since a go pro is attached to your head, how it is supposed to show what your eyes are actually focused on? All it sees is where your head is pointed, not what you are looking at.

It it is not about what the eyes are focused on. I am thinking as a tool to check for head movement, and where the cue is hitting compared to where you are cueing. Subconscious movements or physical issues. Why do you miss?

Imagine having the video to break down what goes on.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I think you can rent Google Glasses now. Or not.

Pivothead glasses would be the thing to get. They are only a couple hundred bucks compared to google glass, and they are equal video quality if not better. The lens is also on the center of the nose, unlike Google glass that is off to the edge.

http://www.amazon.com/Pivothead-Recording-Polarized-Hand-Free-Sunglasses/dp/B009F778VI
http://www.amazon.com/Pivothead-Recording-Polarized-Hand-Free-Sunglasses/dp/B009F773I6

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never heard of them

Pivothead glasses would be the thing to get. They are only a couple hundred bucks compared to google glass, and they are equal video quality if not better. The lens is also on the center of the nose, unlike Google glass that is off to the edge.

http://www.amazon.com/Pivothead-Recording-Polarized-Hand-Free-Sunglasses/dp/B009F778VI
http://www.amazon.com/Pivothead-Recording-Polarized-Hand-Free-Sunglasses/dp/B009F773I6

Good find. I have never heard of them. I will have to do some research

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Man those are awesome... really good find!. Hmm, wheels are turning...

thx

Randy

UpMySleeves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's bring back an old thread..

I'll try to do a headcam perspective soon. I just recently got a Contour Roam2 cam. First try I did was strap it to my cue for fun. I'll try to update this thread when I do a headcam perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Au2MuOmP6A

In response to my previous post above, Here is a quick video I did using a POV camera. I also filmed the practice session with my main camera for the table view.

By watching the video, I have a hard time seeing the CTE perceptions I was seeing when doing these shots live. This, IMO, proves it is impossible to capture on video as your eyes work very differently than cameras.

However, I think it is cool to see pool from the player's perspective. For me, it helps me see some of my faults that I wasn't aware of.

Anyways, here is the Video. Let me know what you think!!

http://youtu.be/ju6ZFyxugDo

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
In response to my previous post above, Here is a quick video I did using a POV camera. I also filmed the practice session with my main camera for the table view.

By watching the video, I have a hard time seeing the CTE perceptions I was seeing when doing these shots live. This, IMO, proves it is impossible to capture on video as your eyes work very differently than cameras.

However, I think it is cool to see pool from the player's perspective. For me, it helps me see some of my faults that I wasn't aware of.

Nice shooting...that was pretty cool,I like it . What you might be able to do is use a program that will let you actually put lines on your video. You ..the shooter....know what your looking at,,,put your lines where your eyes are focusing so the people who are watching can kinda get the right perception or view of the shot.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice.
Can you record what you are visualizing before the pivot like A, B, C and 1/8 etc.?
Thanks

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Looked dead perfect to me. I saw the alignment before you swung the cue into the shooting position. That's just how it ends up with some practice, see and shoot.

Try one with exaggerated slowness. I slowed it down to quarter speed and it's easier to see the line but I think you should do a full stop when you have acquired the visual, count to 3 then bend into the shot.

Thanks for doing this, was great to watch!

UpMySleeves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback guys! This rack was just one of my 2h practice session with the camera. I did practice specific shots with CTE called out, so will try to fetch them out and slow down the video. Putting lines on a video is easy if the image is paused, but very hard if it is moving, as you ave to modify every frame

In my next test, I will try to do one of those famous "1 shot 6 solutions" by calling out all th possible perceptions and pivots:

I'll update this thread when the Video is ready :)

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be awesome, just pause and call the visuals (maybe draw lines on some frames) and do the pivot slower :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! This rack was just one of my 2h practice session with the camera. I did practice specific shots with CTE called out, so will try to fetch them out and slow down the video. Putting lines on a video is easy if the image is paused, but very hard if it is moving, as you ave to modify every frame

In my next test, I will try to do one of those famous "1 shot 6 solutions" by calling out all th possible perceptions and pivots:

Green= 15°Perception
Orange=30° Perception
Blue= 45° Perception
Purple=60°Perception
*= same shot line

LEFT CUTS:
- ETA inside *
- ETA outside

- ETB inside
- ETB outside *

- ETC inside (single line, no CTE)
- ETC outside (signle line, no CTE)

- 1/8th inside (Very thin, might miss at long distances)
- 1/8th outside

Right CUTS:
- ETC inside *
- ETC outside

- ETB inside
- ETB outside *

- ETA inside (single line, no CTE)
- ETA outside (single line, no CTE)

- 1/8th inside (Very thin, might miss at long distances)
- 1/8th outside

I'll update this thread when the Video is ready :)