Gorst in the Mosconi

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone,
I was curious, l was watching the European Open and saw Gorst is currently #3 for team Europe. I love watching Fedor, so I hope I word this right and respectfully, but is this allowed (since he currently plays unaffiliated)? Also, what is everyone's thoughts on when he gains US citizenship? Think he'll change sides? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks

From what I have seen on his Facebook posts and in general, he does seem to want to be part of America past just living here but playing for another country. I think if/when he is allowed to play in the Mosconi on the US team he would want to. I am not a fan of some of the European players that spend 90% of their time in the US but play for the other countries. I mean Shaw has a business in the US, is married to someone from the US, lives in the US, but does not play for the US.
Edit... I should clarify a bit, not that I am not a fan or don't like the European players because of their loyalties, I just think if someone is full immersed in the country they live in, they should at least ask Matchroom if they can represent their "home" country, not just the country they were born in. I think many of the European players would still pick to not play for the US given the option, but Fedor would.

Last edited:

ALT_ESV

From what I have seen on his Facebook posts and in general, he does seem to want to be part of America past just living here but playing for another country. I think if/when he is allowed to play in the Mosconi on the US team he would want to. I am not a fan of some of the European players that spend 90% of their time in the US but play for the other countries. I mean Shaw has a business in the US, is married to someone from the US, lives in the US, but does not play for the US.
Don’t forget that Shaw also has business interests in Dubai now. Unclear if it’s just branding or what, but he’s been vacationing there as well living it up.

Jayson Shaw lounge

Instagram video of the opening later this week

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t forget that Shaw also has business interests in Dubai now. Unclear if it’s just branding or what, but he’s been vacationing there as well living it up.

Jayson Shaw lounge

Instagram video of the opening later this week

As an immigrant to USA myself, I look at things as far as being an American this way: Someone from another country moving to the US has actively done so, because they know or feel they will do better there than where they are from. Effectively saying "F.U." to the country you were born in. A native-born American is just there by chance, so to my mind, an immigrant is at least as American as any Bob Billy Joe that was born in Alabama, if not more due to the active and sometimes difficult nature of moving to another country. It's similar to someone being on the richest people list that inherited the money vs someone that started their own business and worked up to being rich, one let someone else do the work for them, the other actively took part in gaining wealth.

All the European players choosing to make a life in the US, by default should make them eligible to play for the US in the Mosconi Cup.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an immigrant to USA myself, I look at things as far as being an American this way: Someone from another country moving to the US has actively done so, because they know or feel they will do better there than where they are from. Effectively saying "F.U." to the country you were born in. A native-born American is just there by chance, so to my mind, an immigrant is at least as American as any Bob Billy Joe that was born in Alabama, if not more due to the active and sometimes difficult nature of moving to another country. It's similar to someone being on the richest people list that inherited the money vs someone that started their own business and worked up to being rich, one let someone else do the work for them, the other actively took part in gaining wealth.

All the European players choosing to make a life in the US, by default should make them eligible to play for the US in the Mosconi Cup.
In Buffet's book The Snowball he calls it the ovarian lottery😉

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For practical purposes, Fedor is a man without a country, and US citizenship is probably years away. However, it might be to Matchroom's advantage to start considering him American if they want the Mosconi to remain competitive. Only two active American players are in the Top 90 by Fargo (Dechaine and Bergman are inactive), and that's Shane and Skyler, so nobody seems to be in the pipeline short-term.

In the year he spent in America, Fedor endeared himself to the American pool fans, and they'll happily count him as one of their own if afforded the chance.
I agree. MR can bend, break, or invent new rules if they wanted Fedor on Team USA bad enough.
You wouldn't know. You're always in last.
That dude never misses a chance to let everyone know how bad American pool is...

dkjshark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, If you live in the United States you should only be allowed to play for the United States! There should be no exceptions. You dont see anyone playing for the US that lives in another country.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, If you live in the United States you should only be allowed to play for the United States! There should be no exceptions. You dont see anyone playing for the US that lives in another country.
That's true for Mosconi Cup and for Olympics too, but not the other way around. Other countries have much "looser" requirements for someone competing under their flag.

Have to agree with this, and from my own experience and observations. Had some coworkers and friends that were born overseas and became American citizens after moving to the US. As a group, they are universally patriotic for the US, and far more so than most others living here that know of nothing else.

Justaneng

Registered
Prediction: Gorst for Team USA within 2 years, then Shaw a few years later once he ages a bit and 6 or 7 Euros pass him on their Mosconi feed list.

WIth that you'd have: Gorst, SVB, Sky, Shaw, and a 75 year old Earl Strickland competing for Team USA.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Fedor’s family remains in Russia (as does Tkatch’s) so it might be difficult to have any public break with Russia.
I would be very conservative if I were Fedor being a military aged male who isn't fighting in Ukraine. Wouldn't do anything any time soon no matter the circumstances to piss off his native country. No telling what could happen no matter how ridiculous it might seem to an American. I think we should all just let him be for the foreseeable future.